chronicsilence

What mod would you like to build, but would just run too slow?

I'm a long-time ARMA modder/scripter, and am taking a university course that focuses on extreme computing performance through parallelism and whatnot. For the course project, I'm thinking of using the tools we learn in the course in an extension for Arma 3 to do something extremely quickly.

So my question is, is there anything that you've wanted to code for Arma, but that is just too computationally complex or slow, and therefore not realistic? Anything that would slow the game down too much if you tried to code it in SQF? I'd like to give it a shot!

• Like 1

I'm a long-time ARMA modder/scripter, and am taking a university course that focuses on extreme computing performance through parallelism and whatnot. For the course project, I'm thinking of using the tools we learn in the course in an extension for Arma 3 to do something extremely quickly.

So my question is, is there anything that you've wanted to code for Arma, but that is just too computationally complex or slow, and therefore not realistic? Anything that would slow the game down too much if you tried to code it in SQF? I'd like to give it a shot!

I would love to get realistic calculation for FLIR imaging, but that would be extremely time consuming, especially if rain should have an temp. effect on surfaces and stuff like that.

• Like 3

A comprehensive AI mod that actually includes some kind of human behaviour simulation (based on personality, environment, fatigue, weather, friendly losses, known enemy forces, training / skill, fanaticism, suppression, remaining ammo, target priorities, terrain analysis etc). Perhaps not what you were thinking but the biggest barrier I can see to calculating all this is the massive performance hit to run dozens of AI routines simultaneously. Some mods do something similar but rely on scripted outcomes rather than dynamic emergent behaviour if that makes sense? Would be incredible to have Arma AI do that!!  

Eagle1992's suggestion is probably much more feasible though! 

• Like 7

A comprehensive AI mod that actually includes some kind of human behaviour simulation (based on personality, environment, fatigue, weather, friendly losses, known enemy forces, training / skill, fanaticism, suppression, remaining ammo, target priorities, terrain analysis etc). Perhaps not what you were thinking but the biggest barrier I can see to calculating all this is the massive performance hit to run dozens of AI routines simultaneously. Some mods do something similar but rely on scripted outcomes rather than dynamic emergent behaviour if that makes sense? Would be incredible to have Arma AI do that!!  

What he said!

It's very easy to clog up the engine with a few SQF commands, but we also have numerous solutions to work around what one may see as "SQF limitations".

But, boy, a believable human behaviour... that would kick-ass. It would also be a pain in said-ass to code, probably not the easiest thing for the OP's project! ^^

• Like 3

+ a very hearty and meaty 1

• Like 2

Rainwater pooling on the ground in puddles and on vehicles etc?

• Like 6

I know someone tried to  make a Xm-25 with airbursting grenades, it was an early project and i think it was abandon... 

Pathfinding and CQB decision-making for AI, particularly around buildings/building positions. This would include monitoring units that are not acting on their move orders (i.e. are presumably 'stuck') and either de-spawning these or, if unlikely to be observed, teleporting them to somewhere more suitable.

• Like 5

I would love to get realistic calculation for FLIR imaging, but that would be extremely time consuming, especially if rain should have an temp. effect on surfaces and stuff like that.

I think we're kinda limited on the engine with that one. I looked into both more realistic contrast and colours as well as sensor fused tech a while back but couldn't figure a way to get it to work without editing the source code of the game.

That's actually reletively simple, look at something like the nightstalker optic, it'd just require a script that would change the range and remove the magazine from the weapon until you're on target.

Computing power wise it's non-existant.

I know someone tried to  make a Xm-25 with airbursting grenades, it was an early protect and i think it was abandon... 

There are two, Ataboo made one in the alpha: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20735

KICKASS did a updated version with new textures last year: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29344

@chronicsilence

I think most of the ideas you're going to get here are either going to be personal requests or rather difficult to achieve without in-depth access to the game engine. 

Not even sure if this even possible via scripting:

Metamap mod - ability to link multiple maps into a custom or updated grid, reposition and have it transition between the two or more maps (EG move between Stratis and Altis seamlessly as a single map in a mission, even though both are really separate assets.)

+1 for scalable AI mod.

Auto Headless client mod that would apply to any mission even not coded for it. It would be a MOD, not script suite, that would add HC function to existing missions - load HC mod, run 1 to X HC clients and automatically just work. Would do wonders for existing SP/COOP and MP games. HC mod should be able to define which sides and units to offload or blacklist from HC to maintain mission compatibility.

Global Illumination mod - pretty sure it must be a graphics pipeline update in the game engine. Would be incredible to improve (increase) the amount of Global lighting to existing maps via a mod. Just looking at all the new GTA V visual mods made me think of this.

Global Sound Reverb mod - similar to Laxmann'e Enhanced Soundscape and dynamic to actual terrain in 3D. Probably an engine addon in the future and no thanks to the death of DirectSound 3D or lack of hardware OpenAL support.

Definitely a proper airburst fire computer script for experimental weapons like the XM-25 and the OICW (NIA actually received a commission request for one of those but it had to go into the maybe pile because Toadie doesn't know if its possible to code the fire computer without a performance hit.)

A lot of the stuff people are suggesting here is stuff that would require messing with source code.

3D particles a la FumeFX would be amazing for me.

I would love for someone to pick up the USN mod project and finish the CH-53 out of it!!

~S