Sign in to follow this  
CapBlackShot

Memory / Application Error

Hi,

Recently, after digging around with some pieces (installing a new video card) and formatting Windows 10, I've been facing memory errors in Arma 3 occasionally.

Here's an example:

rrdLfxg.png

Others are similar to this:

MxkPqJd.png
(This one is just a similar message found on internet, I don't have Autocad installed)

Or this:

z8U1pIw.png

My new graphic card is a GALAX GTX 1060. All drivers are installed and updated. I even faced a one-time blue screen (few days ago).

Don't know what to do, and I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Hi,

I don't want to say that I have the answer, but the fact that you face a BSOD can be a proof of a GPU issue, or maybe a bad or corrupted OS installation, but not specific to ArmA III and/or the error message.

I think that this error message concern more an issue with the RAM and ArmA III, I sometime have it but that stay rare.

The error message and the BSOD are not specifically linked.

Check your OS installation, and try to test the GPU with another configuration if you can.

A little of topic, but instead of buying a GTX 10 Series GPU, maybe you should buy the new GTX Titan GPU. It's just an opinion of course.

• Like 1

Hi,

I don't want to say that I have the answer, but the fact that you face a BSOD can be a proof of a GPU issue, or maybe a bad or corrupted OS installation, but not specific to ArmA III and/or the error message.

I think that this error message concern more an issue with the RAM and ArmA III, I sometime have it but that stay rare.

The error message and the BSOD are not specifically linked.

Check your OS installation, and try to test the GPU with another configuration if you can.

A little of topic, but instead of buying a GTX 10 Series GPU, maybe you should buy the new GTX Titan GPU. It's just an opinion of course.

Hey,

Thanks for the heads up. It's actually a new graphic card, so I don't think it's a problem with it. The only thing I can think of is it's a RAM error, as you said. Weird thing is I performed a memory check using MemTest86 and it has indicated no problems at all. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me.

Sadly I have already bought a GTX 10 Series, but I'll consider your opinion next time. :)

Thank you again!

Hey,

Concerning the BSOD, it's not because it's a new GPU that it's free of issues, new components can be damaged too. I've bought a GTX 970 Phantom a year back, and the first one have an issue with a DisplayPort and the second one has the same issue and a physical problem. I've must too wait to have the third one from the SAV to have a functionnal GPU without issues. That's why I think about that, like it's a new GPU.

But the BSOD can be caused by anything else, like an antivirus. It's just because your GPU is new that I suggest to beginning with that.

Concerning the error message from ArmA III, I don't think your RAM is in cause, it's more like an application error, I have this message rarely, but have it too, and I think that other users have it too.

I just said that after my own researches, I'll never buy a GTX 10 Series GPU and prefer a new generation GTX Titan X that is clearly much better, still my opinion of course.

No problem, it's just an idea and it's always cool to help each other by sharing our feedback, and hope you can fix this BSOD issue soon !

Try to find the minidump file generated by all BSOD, it's somewhere in the user or system files, don't reminding where exactly. That can help to identify the problem  ;)

Normally, it's located inside the local disk, System\minidump. You can use the BlueScreenView utility to read the file and identify the problem, a driver, a file, anything. Ater that, you can isolate and solve the issue  :)

• Like 1

Hey,

Concerning the BSOD, it's not because it's a new GPU that it's free of issues, new components can be damaged too. I've bought a GTX 970 Phantom a year back, and the first one have an issue with a DisplayPort and the second one has the same issue and a physical problem. I've must too wait to have the third one from the SAV to have a functionnal GPU without issues. That's why I think about that, like it's a new GPU.

But the BSOD can be caused by anything else, like an antivirus. It's just because your GPU is new that I suggest to beginning with that.

Concerning the error message from ArmA III, I don't think your RAM is in cause, it's more like an application error, I have this message rarely, but have it too, and I think that other users have it too.

I just said that after my own researches, I'll never buy a GTX 10 Series GPU and prefer a new generation GTX Titan X that is clearly much better, still my opinion of course.

No problem, it's just an idea and it's always cool to help each other by sharing our feedback, and hope you can fix this BSOD issue soon !

Try to find the minidump file generated by all BSOD, it's somewhere in the user or system files, don't reminding where exactly. That can help to identify the problem  ;)

Normally, it's located inside the local disk, System\minidump. You can use the BlueScreenView utility to read the file and identify the problem, a driver, a file, anything. Ater that, you can isolate and solve the issue  :)

Hi,

I just investigated a little more and it really seems like my last BSOD issue was related to my graphic card. I'm also suspecting of my motherboard. As both are on warranty, I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, I appreciate your time. I'll try to post the results as soon as I get them.

Thanks for the help! ;)

Hi,

I just investigated a little more and it really seems like my last BSOD issue was related to my graphic card. I'm also suspecting of my motherboard. As both are on warranty, I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, I appreciate your time. I'll try to post the results as soon as I get them.

Thanks for the help! ;)

There's nothing wrong with the GTX 1060 cards; In fact they're the best value mid-range cards right now.

Titan X are certainly powerful but they're also very expensive at $1000.

Also, unless you're running an insanely overclocked i5 or i7 (4.5+ GHz), the Titan X will be bottle-necked, e.g. a Titan X ($1000) is only 1 fps faster than a 1070 which is 60% cheaper ($400)

kBrPEDZ.png

Conclusion: a GTX Titan X is a silly recommendation when playing A3

• Like 1

Hey,

Now, I know why users always choose the wrong GPU, if you taking care about the "benchmarks" from sites, you'll never can choose the better components for the differents purposes.

I only take care about what I test with others, our own comparisons, and I don't trust about the benchmarks made by sites that are payed by manufacturers.

So, the only silly thing here is to give credits to sites and not to experiences.

A GTX Titan X is completely better than any GTX 10 GPU Serie, tested and approved by many people that tested it too.

After that, do whatever you want of course.

capblackshot,

No problem, it's always a good idea to investigate and like you can see, a new component is not always fully functionnal  ;)

• Like 1

Claiming that personal experiences are more reliable than comparative benchmarks from reputable sites is rather like debunking global warming because it's raining in your neighbourhood.

These results are corroborated by other reputable sites:

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page3.html

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Arma-3-Spiel-18157/Specials/ArmA-3-Beta-Test-Benchmarks-1076533/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-295x2-review-benchmark-performance,3799-5.html

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/10/02/arma_iii_video_card_performance_iq_review/4#.V-jy9U2LRD8

So are the results all part of a global conspiracy? Or do they simply contradict your personal experiences?

I think that it's time to take off that tin-foil hat...

• Like 1

Titan, Titan X and the newer Titan X that's usually referred Titan XP are different cards.

Then it also depends on resolution and targeted fps. 1080p 60Hz, GTX 1070 is enough in Tanoa. I've everything on max including x8 AA and I haven't seen GPU bottleneck. The card is just in the limits sometimes. x4 AA and you can be sure GTX1070 doesn't bottleneck anywhere.

• Like 1

St.Jimmy,

I use the same parameters with a GTX 970 Phantom.

All max, 1920x1080 144Hz and x4AA with ATOC to all grass and trees. That's why I said that theses benchmarks from many sites are not representative of the real potential and in many times exagerate the potential of many GPU. At the time I choose the GTX 970, the GTX 980 was highly recommended, but with 200€ more expensive and just 5/6 FPS more compared to the GTX 970.

The GTX Titan X have the Pascal generation and 12Gb VRAM, thing that is missing in the GTX 10 Serie, and like the performances are really close between the GTX Titan X and the GTX 10 Series, I prefer to choose the one that give the better VRAM quantity, especially while looking at the actual games that need more than 4Gb VRAM and all those which will be released later.

Like in many of tests done in real time with the real comparison made on a nice Gaming rig and testing each GPU on the latest games, the GTX Titan X stay the best for us, and we are seven different Gamers that tested these GPU and ended to this same conclusion.