What AO are you in? A "Sqaud AO" is only gonna spawn a few. The type of AO is marked above each marker type by a secondary symbol. Notes are in the OP. I have more info coming soon that will explain more. I also wouldn't be surprised if it's broken again. Lol. BIS loves to break our stuff. It's WIP. I have alot more work to do yet.

They're hiding. It's combat. You're not supposed to know where...

• Like 1

Dude, can you help me figure this thing out? I can't figure it out with how you're describing it.

So, load this as any mod folder, go to the editor:

1. Squads module:

This module spawns AI squads within a 3km radius of the player on a given loop. You may select the sides for infantry, wheeled vehicles, armor, and helicopters.

That makes sense, but what's the system start? It doesn't explain if it's either, or, or both? Do I need to travel a given distance and wait a given time for it to start up?

2. Combatants Module:

You haven't really explained what a rogue unit is other than that they're spooky. Is it a unit that deviates and acts independently from it's own faction? Is it a unit that patrols away from it's designated AO? Does rogue just mean hostile units?

If I don't want non-state actors in my mission do I have to place this module? If I want force on force BLUFOR vs. OPFOR do I place two squad modules? One for BLUFOR placement and one for OPFOR placement? The combatant module only gives me an option for Rogue units. Am I crazy?

Dude, you're crazy. :wacko:

Kidding.... Sorry. Um, lets see if I can get you (and others) straightened out. First did you expand the 'spoiler' button to read all of the other SCAR info? This may shed some more light.

1. The System Start option is you can do either, or both. Sorry for the confusion. I may have to re-write that. My thinking was, it would allow someone time to get ready and gear-up or whatever they want to do, then when they leave their Base/FOB then the Timer kicks in and it starts the loop-spawner. In the past when we played, we noticed our Base would fall under attack before we had the Mission Planned out, and if someone died, we had to start all over. So I coded it so you can pick IF/WHEN you move away from your starting point. THEN the timer kicks 'on'. The Timer turns 'on' only AFTER it checks your start location.

For Example - if you set the Timer to Start after you move 100m to 60 seconds, then it waits for you to move 101 meters, then starts the Clock for 60 seconds, then it turns on and starts to spawn guys around you. If you take 37 minutes to gear-up, plan the mission, have your coffee, etc... then it will still wait for you to move past that 100m setting (no matter how long you sit) so you don't get attacked too early. The FASTEST setup would be Timer Only, and set it to something like 10 seconds. I thought the combo-setting was kinda clever, but I have a biased opinion.

2. The "Rogue" Units are kinda confusing. Even my friends get confused, and we play every Friday. They are kinda meant to be confusing. Fog-of-War. They are BOTH the Enemy and Friendly. Its all politics I guess. Depends on what side you are on. They all mostly look the same. These guys are your non-military guys. They DO NOT wear uniforms, insignia, etc. They could be in blue jeans, baseball hats, and so on.

Assuming if you play as BLUFOR --- and they are Red/OPFOR Guys, then you can role-play they are Terrorists, or Gangs. If you set them to Blue/BLUFOR then you may see them as Freedom Fighters who are fighting on your side and are your Allies.

The way we play right now since Apex/Tanoa just came out is, ...AAF has just invaded Tanoa (AAF is a key member of the CSAT Alliance - AAF is attacking the South Pacific and CSAT the Mediterranean) so I set the AO Module to ALL AAF to simulate they have taken a foothold of the Islands. The "Rogue AO" setting here is left as BLUFOR to simulate pockets of Freedom Fighters who are fighting back against AAF. These are the locals who have taken up arms, or who are being supplied by NATO.

The Squads Module is set to ALL BLUFOR to represent NATO attacking AAF and trying to liberate Tanoa from the evil grips of AFF and their CSAT members.

The Combatants Module is set to OPFOR to add enemy threats to ALL AREAS of the Map, even "cold spots" of the Map that may not have any AOs present. These guys could be MERCs or Gangs of War Lords who are trying to "unofficially" help OPFOR. These guys would be hostile of course. If you are NEAR A BLUFOR "ROGUE" AO, then you would NEVER know who is good or bad. You'd have to wait to see who shoots at you. Makes for really tense moments. They are basically civilians with guns. If you are NOT near a friendly "Rogue" AO, you can guess with high probability they are most likely enemy and hostile. This is why its important to know the Intel of where you are, and whats going on. You can pull up the AO Intel Report with SHIFT + A.

Then lastly, we would set the Reinforcements Module to the main OPFOR Force. Which in our setup here, is the AAF OPFOR guys. [ Side Note: Just make sure to set your INDEP Side guys in the Editor to their political allegiance. ]

That's just an example of how we play. Um, so to continue to answer your questions, the "Rogue" are ANY SIDE. They can be whatever you want. Blue, Red, or Green. They Spawn as Individuals. NOT as Squads or organized groups. They have a high probability to seek out and clump together and hide in Buildings. There is nothing spooky about them per se, just that they represent the messier side of global conflict.

I can't remember if you need this Module on the Map, but for now I recommend to place it anyway, and just set to to a very long timer, and set the probability to 0 if you don't want them.

And in testing I believe you CAN NOT have more than 1 Module of Each. You can Mix the settings though if you want. So IF you wanted BOTH BLUFOR vs OPFOR in just the Squads module, you'd have to set BLUFOR to Infantry and OPFOR to ARMOR for example. But I'd HIGHLY recommend setting the entire AO Module to one, and the entire Squads Module to the other.

Oh, and back to "Rogues"... the only difference between the AO Rogues, and Combatants Rogues, is the Combatants spawns all around you at ALL TIMES, and the AO Rogues ONLY spawn near their AO. Groups and Individuals can roam everywhere and anywhere. Its pretty random. They can be Dumb, or Smart. When I spawn them in, I keep thier Aiming Accuracy low, but all other Sub-Skills can be FULLY RANDOM so you end up with a massive amount of combinations and variables. Some are brave, and some will run and hide. The QRF Teams from the Reinforcements Module have higher Skills though to simulate Spec-Ops that are called "Quick Reaction Force" for a reason. They also will Track you for Miles with a very very high probability. The military units are mostly outside, and have low probability to seek out buildings, and the Rogue/Combatants have a high probability to seek out buildings and are almost always alone. They virtually never hang around together, but will group/meet together inside buildings, rooms, under cover, etc... planning their next move. All Skills are randomized.

Skill Settings used in S.C.A.R:

-------------------------------------

Aiming Skill....... 0 - 30%

Aiming Shake....... 0 - 30%

Aiming Speed....... 0 - 100%

Commanding......... 0 - 100%

Courage/Moral...... 0 - 100%

Spot Speed......... 0 - 100%

Spot Distance...... 0 - 100%

Reload Speed....... 0 - 100%

I hope that helps, and perhaps clears some things up. Sometimes when there are too many options, it can have the opposite effect and add to some of the confusion.

• Like 1

Yeah I can't get anything to spawn on Beketov at the moment. All modules set up for RHS Russians except squads which is BLUFOR NATO.

What AO are you in? A "Sqaud AO" is only gonna spawn a few. The type of AO is marked above each marker type by a secondary symbol. Notes are in the OP. I have more info coming soon that will explain more. I also wouldn't be surprised if it's broken again. Lol. BIS loves to break our stuff. It's WIP. I have alot more work to do yet.

They're hiding. It's combat. You're not supposed to know where...

With all the respect, its a very very confusing setup you have man. Why so many modules need to be put for achieving only one aim? I mean one or two might have been sufficient.

And you are wrong when you say that they are hiding. I teleport to the markers with 100% probability of enemy presence yet no one is there. Once or twice I hear gunfights in a distance but they are a handful guys. the patrolling helis dont see me below and just remain safe.. anyway. its WIP so I can understand :)

I've already stated that the Units DO NOT SPAWN AT THE DAMN MARKERS.

It's an INTEL REPORT of Enemy Activity..... in the.... wait for it.... AREA. It's an "area" of several kilometers by several kilometers. The Units are NOT marked. Also the Units are NOT on the Map in the beginning. It would melt your PC. They spawn-in over time. I already explained this in the First Post of this Thread. Expand the Spoiler Button to Read more info. You never answered my questions. What AO are you testing, (primary marker) and what is the Force Size (secondary marker)? What is the number next to the AO Marker? That is the Intel probability rating. Anything less than 100% is never guaranteed. Even if you set the settings to 100% , it may not like the spawn site, and exit the loop then wait for the next one.

If you want 100% guys there at the EXACT spots you want,100% of the time...... then just place your own with the Editor! I feel a lot of people are reading too hard into this. And they are looking for an console-type Xbox experience. The AOs are "Danger Zones". THEY ARE NOT GUYS!

ALiVE has a zillion modules, this only has 4. I like keeping them segregated.

Like I said, it's still heavily WIP and needs polish. I think the biggest issue here with users, is they are getting confused about what this project is designed to do. I'll post some screenshots later this month to show all the marked units, and include a debug-info setting so users can see more detail. If you are hearing combat, then obviously it's working. RHS Russians may be broken though I fear. I'd wait to use those for anyone testing with those.

You were never meant to go out and hunt them. They are so spread out, they would be very hard to find. What is your Force Multipler setting? If all you want is combat, then set it to something like 10 or maybe even as high as 20 or 50.

Most of my focus, and overall philosophy for my projects, is getting a "behind-enemy-lines" atmosphere. I have this feeling that people are too impatient and looking for quick skirmishes. This SCAR project is more suited for trying to sneak around and going after a Mission in a longer 3-Hour Game.

;)

• Like 2

Hey Von, what are the chances you could post a mission or two here? I'm thinking ideally something that utilizes most of your current projects would be sweet. Do you have anything handy that you and your buddies play that you could share?

I think that would be pretty awesome and may also help demonstrate some methods for properly utilizing some of the features.

Most of my focus, and overall philosophy for my projects, is getting a "behind-enemy-lines" atmosphere. I have this feeling that people are too impatient and looking for quick skirmishes. This SCAR project is more suited for trying to sneak around and going after a Mission in a longer 3-Hour Game

This right here is what makes your vision so great. I've been so wrapped up in my own projects (thus the mission request lol) that I haven't spent any time with the new solo versions, but I've said it and I'll say it again; there is no cooler experience than Spookwarcom and to this day, some of my finest Arma memories come from your projects and the quote above is the reason.

I hope people can understand that. Not really sure why it isn't clear.

Unfortunately I've set the spawn coefficients higher and I've used SPCM to enable Zeus. I see black pen objects spawn, once I got a single RHS Russian squad to spawn. But even moving around and waiting I have issues seeing anything spawn. I just think you're sort of over-explaining how everything works. I have a rough idea of how it's supposed to work (squads are the patrolling units, combatants are the rogue units, areas of operation are garrisoned type units, and reinforcements is easy enough to figure out.)

I think most Arma players are used to configuring addons in a more methodical fashion.

i.e: this function does this: true or false? How much of this would you like? 

You kinda posit a bunch of hypotheticals for how you could set up a mission with your modules, but that doesn't really help me for setting up the modules in a base configuration where I can then mess with it and build a mission around it.

I think a couple of sample missions and debugging could help us out tremendously. 

• Like 1

Updated mod v0.2.2-beta available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey Von Quest , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Is there something we can do to make the system see us less soon than it does now?   I meant,really make it not pick up on us,like even if we are extremly close  to them?

What about hearing us?  Will I be able to adjust that?  How do I do that?   Could you make them see us,and ignore us like 3 times,to let us hide in the trees,pop up and disappear, that may be somewhat usefull.

Make them forget where we where seen,and search some other area close to us would increse emersion on Tannoa.    Thanks for a Great mod!  Nice ! Very

simple to use,a great tool.

Sure. I will be adding some Editor Missions for setup examples, for a few different variations. With ALiVE, just plain vanilla, with all my Mods, and plain SCAR only setup for both Altis and Tanoa. It'll be awhile I'm afraid though. Going to take a break this month I think. At least for the next week or two.

I think the biggest issue here is just gameplay style. That's all. Being an older bloke, I'm way more interested in the deeper puzzle-solving aspects that ArmA can offer. I'm into more of the Intel world, foreign politics, global chess games, technology and tactics, gear and equipment, Special Ops, and so on.

I'm not interested in shooting cartoons in a videogame. The way we play most of the time, is if there is combat, then something went wrong. Our guns are tools, and used for self-defense. We always play where we role-play Spec-Ops/Black-Ops and have to sneak into a country and attempt to accomplish the Mission without firing a shot. Of course some missions this is unavoidable.

So I set out to design a system that can populate any map, that is highly customizable, and works in a way that can really suck you into that world of sneaking into a hostile country. Without support, or official acknowledgement from the government, and to do your part in moving that "global chess piece".

It's designed from the perspective of starting OFF the Map (CORE), and then using my Mission Generator (SOCOM) to get your assignment. You need to study the AO (SCAR) Intel Report for planning and executing that Mission the best way you can. It's a puzzle. The AO Report should dictate how you get in/out, and what gear and equipment you take with you.

When you sneak into the Map, the SCAR System starts out slow by design. The Units start to spawn in, but usually far away so you can't see them. Then the code notes where you are, and the units will start to meander in your direction, but with enough randomness and variation, that I can't predict too much thus keeping it a 'sim'.

As you move towards the Mission Objective, the SCAR System keeps spawning and building it's signature behind the scenes. The Units are generally moving to where you used to be. Not where you are now. So if my Game Theory is correct, there is a lot more guys to sneak/combat through after you are done (or abandoned) the Mission on your way out to Exfil. So it plays out like a movie. Beginning, middle or conflict, then accelerating to a climax.

It starts slow... Then builds over time, and just when you think you are doing all of the sneaking around, you will realize that the game was actually sneaking up on YOU! *evil laugh*

I can include a Satellite Intel View or something so you can turn it on and see all units and where they are if people want. That will give you some choices and see where everyone is at with labels. I already have the code, but i think it's turned off in the public version. I can't remember. If it's already included (on my phone right now so I can't check) it's turned on when you have the debug mode on.

I may also include in a future update, to just have a bunch of guys dumped right at the AO Markers so you can play with a more Direct Combat mode, rather than my mysterious special signature of "you were never here" black-ops version.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I appreciate both good and bad reviews. More upgrades and options coming soon.

Over & Out. *throws smoke*

• Like 2

^^^This is what I loved the most about Spookwarcom. Awesome post and I totally feel the same way.

I feel though that maybe you are considering making too many concessions and adding too much to the workload to appease the shoot-em-up crowd. It's just like, your things-to-do is so enormous as it is. No wonder you need a break. I would too.

Spookwarcom is special because it offers an experience you simply can't find for this game anywhere else. The way you play it is the way I always played it and I guess it worries me that adding these new features, such as enemies always being in the AO as an option, is just another time-sink for you that only sets this mod back from "completion."

I mean obviously in a perfect world where scripting is easy and every ice cream shop carries 85 variations of our favorite flavor; the more the merrier. But seeing as you're one guy making a series of mods designed to work in tandem for a SPECIAL and UNIQUE experience, my personal opinion would be just getting this stuff back to where Spookwarcom was before Arma updates fluffed it all up. And from what I gather, you're pretty close to that, correct?

That's what I'd like, anyway.

Anyway, have a nice modding vacation man. I'm looking forward to the sample missions! :)

I love what your modules can do, and once my friends and I figured out how to set them up and get them all running (we are not smart) we've had a lot of fun. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Hello,

First of all Ive had great times with this mod and I thank you for creating it. Its awesome.

Id like to know though if there yet is a way to choose any faction the modules spawn? Like I have a mod faction and I would like it to spawn units from the mod faction. Is there a possible way for this? Even manually doing so.

Thanks.

• Like 1

"ello,

First of all Ive had great times with this mod and I thank you for creating it. Its awesome.

Id like to know though if there yet is a way to choose any faction the modules spawn? Like I have a mod faction and I would like it to spawn units from the mod faction. Is there a possible way for this? Even manually doing so.

Thanks."

UP UP UP  :wub:

Hello,

Thanks.

"ello,[/size]

Thanks."

UP UP UP  :wub:

Are you posting from two accounts? Is that even allowed?

I think he just meant to "quote". I thought the same thing. LOL

• Like 2

HI Von Quest

Are you still working on this verry good mod ? is there a chance to use others factions unit in the futur ?

thank you for all

Just found this! Thanks a lot for making this mod, really enjoying it. Seems that we both like SpecOps/behind enemy lines type of gameplay :)

@karmalauja

Thanks. And sorta. I've been taking a long break from modding ArmA. And there is a strong chance I'll be continuing at some point. No guarantees though. If and when I get back to work, I'll be adding more factions for sure. Not sure which ones. I'm leaning towards adding CUP Units for the next upgrade.

@Itsthomas

Thanks brother!

If you do any integration with other mods, can you please make it optional?  I know CUP is a widely used set of mods, but my unit will not use them for the most part.  I'd hate to have to give up trying to use your stuff.

It's good to hear you are thinking of coming back and working on Spookwar more.  It is a great set of mods for Arma 3.

-UPDATE -

v0.3.0 Beta
=======================

FIXED: Re-Write of AO System!
FIXED: Arty Reinforcements
ADDED: Marker Color Options
CHANGED: Force Multiplier is Enemy Intel on Player
CHANGED: AO Radius is 1km for ALL AOs
REMOVED: RADAR -> moved into L.E.A.P Project
REMOVED: Marker Alpha Option

Overhaul of the Areas-of-Operation. Works WAY BETTER!!! I decided to go in the direction that many assumed how this works. Instead of mostly ambient Units, it now Spawns Units DIRECTLY near the epicenter of each AO. I was trying to get too creative, and the Units were way too spread out and impossible to find. Now its more gamey and arcade-ish, but it works EXACTLY like you think it should. I should have went in this direction from the beginning. Its 100x MORE FUN!!! Works Great.

I also changed how the Force Modifier works. Its based on Enemy Intel. The more the Enemy Knows, the MORE they Spawn into the AO. This places emphasis onto Stealth, as per my usual style. For example if going into a Platoon AO (3 Groups), and you blow your cover where the Enemy has FULL Intel on you. Instead of the standard 3 Groups, there could be 12 Groups dispatched into the Area! The formula is random upto the Enemy knowsAbout (0-4) variable.

I think you will vastly enjoy this NEW Setup better. You can also set the Marker Color for EACH AO Type. My recommendations are already set as Default, but feel free to set them how you wish.

Its been awhile since I've modded and uploaded, so I'm a little rusty. Let me know of any issues and bugs. Thanks!!!!

• Like 6

Yes!  It is very useful. Can we get some way to decide what enemies we will encounter? Using MCC,or some drop-down list?

A little request:  Some way to make a re-supply mission drop crates Exactly where I decide ? tnx

- UPDATE -

v0.3.1 Beta
=======================

FIXED: Several more bugs
UPDATED: Docs/Info/Notes, etc
ADDED: Example Setup/Mission
ADDED: Camps into random Infantry AOs
CHANGED: Increased Intel to 5min
TWEAKED: Markers

• Like 4