ruPal

Blastcore remake?

I was working on Blastcore fixes more than a year. And want to release this work. But I don't know is it legal? I cannot find any information about Opticalsnare Blastcore license and coudn't contact him to ask for permission. Any help with this needed.

Yes, this version is a standalone version. I have modified original config files.

• Like 1

According to his threads the only work that is made "free" is BC Tracers. No derivatives are allowed on the main BC package.

Although I understand his choice and respect it, its a bit of a shame to say the least :/

Yes, this version is a standalone version. I have modified original config files.

This won't do unless you have express permission from OS. Failing that you'll have to release it as a separate patch requiring the original files.

This won't do unless you have express permission from OS. Failing that you'll have to release it as a separate patch requiring the original files.

I didn't plan to release it and for me it was easier to modify original files. Some of the entries should be removed/rewritten to fix issues.

I didn't plan to release it and for me it was easier to modify original files. Some of the entries should be removed/rewritten to fix issues.

You can do that without editing original files - including deleting obsolete entries or classes.

You can do that without editing original files - including deleting obsolete entries or classes.

I didn't know much about configs when started and now... it will take too much time to revise all of the entries. Of course next time I will make things thoughtful.  Btw, my revision is based on Blastcore 1 not Blastcore 2.

One can make fairly easily a config diff between your version and his using sorted config dump.

I can make you a sample if you think its the last option possible.

• Like 2

I'm interested by a sample - it could be most usefull for my own projects. ;)

Its more a matter of respect than real licenses. I guess you could try to release them as community fixes to an excisting mod, as long as they're not released as a standalone project under a different name. I'm not sure wether OS has officially retired Blastcore from his end though, so better be safe and try to get a response from him. 

Been wondering this same thing myself. I made some in-home fixes for the blastcore phoenix to fix all errors and some visual glitches and been wondering if I can release this somehow.

I guess the way to go is to make a patch.

Can't you release it just giving him all the credit? Or is my ignorance showing too much.

Thank you for your opinions. Well, there are more than 60k lines of code to revise. Even with diffs search when we delete config entries we will need to check original bis config not to break it. It is a pity, but understand that we should respect Opticalsnare work.

I think the fastest way is to delete all entries, than owerwrite them with bis original entries and then owerwrite them with fixed config. But that looks really crazy.

as said one can built the "your changes only" config from the diff fairly easily

Good news, hope that we all can have the pleasure to enjoy an update or a fix to the current BC. Of course according to the rules :)

Good news, hope that we all can have the pleasure to enjoy an update or a fix to the current BC. Of course according to the rules :)

Yes please follow the rules ;)

I hope you will find some way to release that :) I'm pretty sure that most of the community looks after something like this, me included ;). Easiest way will be probably release it as patch, as mentioned before. Anyways, good luck on that and cheers:)

• Like 5

Looking forward to this patch since I'm a graphics/VFX enthusiast :)

Is there actually anything broken in Blastcore that needs fixing? Seems to work ok for me, but I say that from a user perspective and not someone who knows what's going on under the hood.

Not sure if anyone is aware but in addition to Hopecore (now outdated) there are a couple of other versions of Blastcore that people have released;

BSAE by DerSilver: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686282965&searchtext=

Blastcore Eagle by looterz: https://github.com/looterz/bce

I haven't tried these myself but they appear to have been released without any issues since Opticalsnare left the community so I don't see why ruPal can't do the same with his version.

Anyone know a solution to the sometimes blacky squares that appear instead of smoke? Is it my crappy ass ghetto video card??

• Like 1

Anyone know a solution to the sometimes blacky squares that appear instead of smoke? Is it my crappy ass ghetto video card??

Nope I have the same issue and it's really annoying.

Is there actually anything broken in Blastcore that needs fixing? Seems to work ok for me, but I say that from a user perspective and not someone who knows what's going on under the hood.

Not sure if anyone is aware but in addition to Hopecore (now outdated) there are a couple of other versions of Blastcore that people have released;

BSAE by DerSilver: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686282965&searchtext=

Blastcore Eagle by looterz: https://github.com/looterz/bce

I haven't tried these myself but they appear to have been released without any issues since Opticalsnare left the community so I don't see why ruPal can't do the same with his version.

Yes, I saw that releases and that is why I created a thread. Someone from there mentioned that Blastcore is opensource.

Sure, Blastcore needs fixing.  There were several updates that changed effects and they broke Blastcore effects. For example, check slammer shooting (one of them - UP version if I remember, don't have muzzle effects), rifles missing some smoke effects, broken smoke grenades, some effects shows square particles (some of them fast enough and hard to see), some vehicles missing smoke and fire effects, some explosions missing effects too. Probably there are some that I don't see (that takes a lot of time to run Blastcore, then Vanilla, then Blastcore 2 to compare each effect for vehicles, rifles, men, etc). Furthermore, I think that we can optimize some effects not  take so much FPS and replace some effects to vanilla version for better looking (fire flame, for example). Oh, and we need compatibility configs for RHS (and CUP, probably) because they use custom effects that break Blastcore effects too.

Best variant is to rewrite Blastcore on the base of the latest original effects config. But that will take incredible amount of time.

UPD: Some changes in the mod:

• Like 7

The only thing I can really name that I know is broken for sure in the current version of Blastcore are the black texture pixels that appear every now and again when 2 lightsources pass in front of each other. For instance the muzzle flash of a tank next to another muzzle flash of a tank or artillery fire. 

I made some screens better desrcribing this issue a while back. I'll see if I can find them. 

@ruPal I saw all your youtube videos regarding edits of blastcore 2 and I should admit they're coming pretty well. Do you know if it's possible to further enhance the realism in particles a la battlefield 1 or star wars battlefront?

ruPal - perhaps it would be worth contacting looterz to see what fixes have already been implemented in Blastcore Eagle rather than starting from scratch with vanilla Blastcore Phoenix 2? The Blastcore Eagle page says that it is open source and contributions are welcome. Just a thought.

Must admit I didn't realise so many things were broken with Blastcore. Now I wish I hadn't asked as it will annoy me when I play Arma!

I like the vids you posted. I wasn't aware that you were looking to actually alter the effects themselves but if you have the capability to do so that's great. Personally a few things that I think could be improved in Blastcore Phoenix 2 are:

- No bullet hit effect on grass / woodland. This was deliberate by OS but I think it would be good to see dirt flying up on bullet strikes.

- Bullet hit effects that do appear (for example on roads or sand) are barely visible. I preferred the ones from the original Blastcore as they seemed to have more 'oomph'.

- Explosion debris bounces off the ground like basketballs and looks unrealistic. I think this may be an Arma effect and not Blastcore though.