Sign in to follow this  
JFisher

Question about Backpack Modelling (LOD/Selections)

It's not that unclear, you need to create selections (area) within your model, and right click them to "redefine" them.

For example of you want to have a small hydration day sack that you want to conform to the characters movements, you will need to have at a minimum, spine1, spine2, LeftShoulder,RightShoulder and possibly spine3

To make these I would suggest you have the character sample open as well and look at the where their selections fall, and then create "new selections" on your model, like spine1, spine2 etc.

To make it work, you also need the PackProxy from the samples from stalkerGB.

You also need to write a config.cpp and model.cfg to have them show up in the game.

• Like 1

It's not that unclear, you need to create selections (area) within your model, and right click them to "redefine" them.

For example of you want to have a small hydration day sack that you want to conform to the characters movements, you will need to have at a minimum, spine1, spine2, LeftShoulder,RightShoulder and possibly spine3

To make these I would suggest you have the character sample open as well and look at the where their selections fall, and then create "new selections" on your model, like spine1, spine2 etc.

To make it work, you also need the PackProxy from the samples from stalkerGB.

You also need to write a config.cpp and model.cfg to have them show up in the game.

Alright, Yeah I have a config and model cfg the thing is is that when I port it to the game the backpack is located on the center point of the character, so litterly inside him. I just dont get it a 100% what parts of the backpack you need to call spine1, spine2 etc, but I will take a look at having the character along with it maybe that helps.

• Like 1

I'm no expert on character equipment, but have you offset your backpack from the origin?

p7VU931.jpg

• Like 2

Alright, Yeah I have a config and model cfg the thing is is that when I port it to the game the backpack is located on the center point of the character, so litterly inside him. I just dont get it a 100% what parts of the backpack you need to call spine1, spine2 etc, but I will take a look at having the character along with it maybe that helps.

To be honest, with all my vests I assign pretty much everything to Spine2, apart from the shoulder areas, the rest of the vest/packs are normally pretty solid and not very flexible, smaller packs, when worn over body armour wouldn't flex much either, they have a 10 x 10, or 12 x 10 plate as their backing plate. ;)

If you line up the backpack using the sample model, pretty sure that might be spot on?

• Like 1

I made this testing pack (I know its not 100% accurate a FILBE and I know it still has a lot of pollies and I haven't done the shadow yet)

but this is how it turns out:

nRrfvYg.png

My files (+Blend File):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_xQ9VSZucAYb3l0eVFCVUowem8

Im usually only doing Configs/Script but im trying to get into 3d modelling for arma lately and just dont get these type of things like defining the groups (like spine1 etc) yet, because I guess I did that wrong

Can someone help me please so I can learn from it? Thanks

I made this testing pack (I know its not 100% accurate a FILBE and I know it still has a lot of pollies and I haven't done the shadow yet)

but this is how it turns out:

nRrfvYg.png

My files (+Blend File):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_xQ9VSZucAYb3l0eVFCVUowem8

Im usually only doing Configs/Script but im trying to get into 3d modelling for arma lately and just dont get these type of things like defining the groups (like spine1 etc) yet, because I guess I did that wrong

Can someone help me please so I can learn from it? Thanks

You haven't weighted it properly hence why you have vertices dropping to the ground.

You've also not UV mapped it out either, I've looked at your model, it's very high poly, you could get rid of most of these as well, and still retain the overall shape.

Also in the LOD selections, don't put "component (x) " in there, these are normally only required for geometry.

Nothing wrong with the rest of your selections.

You haven't weighted it properly hence why you have vertices dropping to the ground.

You've also not UV mapped it out either, I've looked at your model, it's very high poly, you could get rid of most of these as well, and still retain the overall shape.

Also in the LOD selections, don't put "component (x) " in there, these are normally only required for geometry.

Nothing wrong with the rest of your selections.

Been trying things for a couple weeks now, verticles problem is over, the only problem I have right now is that my model stays in the middle of the character. Has this part to do with the selections?

Hey man, popped open your files, looks to me like why youre having problems is that you have a few undefined items in your model still.

First of all, these points are still unweighted, so be sure to add them in

oEKu0ev.png

Then in the geometry section you need to right click in the property name box, add a new one and name it "autocenter" with a value of "0" (top right for me, but likely not where yours is.)

rA7t4Iy.png

Hope this helps!

Been trying things for a couple weeks now, verticles problem is over, the only problem I have right now is that my model stays in the middle of the character. Has this part to do with the selections?

• Like 2

Fixed it with the above and help from PuFu, thanks!