Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Overlooked Attention To Detail

I've noticed Arma gets bashed quite a lot by disgruntled players.  Mainly from the younger generation who've never heard of a 286 or who can't remember the days of the Binatone.  If they had I'm sure they'd appreciate how beautiful Arma is and they'd stand in awe at its magnificence. The devs are IMO not appreciated enough for the work they do. Just look at Tanoa in all of its glory and it's an awesome spectacle with literally thousands of hours of pure passion put into it.  With that said, what "attention to detail" impressions you the most? 

• Like 9

I've seen AI squad leaders making a stop sign with the hand when there is a contact nearby.

• Like 2

Looking back to when Arma 3 was first released, I had just returned from vacationing in Greece and how the team captured the look and feel of the islands with Altis and Stratis was amazing, even down to the roadside 'mini-churches' was incredible.

They've done such a great job with Tanoa, sometimes its cool just to put a guy on the map and wander, in and out of the jungle. Notable kudos are the sounds, suddenly hearing running AC or the electrical transformer overhead!

• Like 1

The secondary explosions from a destroyed tank is pretty immersive and great attention to detail how sporadic they are.  It's incredibly life like.

Looking back to when Arma 3 was first released, I had just returned from vacationing in Greece and how the team captured the look and feel of the islands with Altis and Stratis was amazing, even down to the roadside 'mini-churches' was incredible.

They've done such a great job with Tanoa, sometimes its cool just to put a guy on the map and wander, in and out of the jungle. Notable kudos are the sounds, suddenly hearing running AC or the electrical transformer overhead!

you cant hear AC power by itself that takes the iron plates which are surrounded by wire in a transformer, or a lighting ballast depending on the model type. 

Details:

• Theres actually wind in the game, and the trees sway accordingly, its not scripted, its dynamic, weather effects it even more
  • real stars and constellations
  • real ocean and tide system
  • day and night cycles, actual time is represented and when you change the month the time change is reflected as in real life
  • massive lands scaled and based on actual geological locations, even the created maps are believable
  • heres a vid that goes into detail--->
  • want some more details view the community guides created by Dyslecxi--->
  • how about Ballistics--->
  • more details about vehicles and weapons and how the ones in the game are based on real life counterparts---> https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/125727-is-arma-3-authentic/
  • Eden editor ---> https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Eden_Editorhas come along way bringing players to a 3d level of detail that allows us to manipulate assets to such detail making missions full of depth
  • 3d editor demo by Jestor
  • Along with the 33 things video this is a page on Arma3 Assets provide in depth, expanded level of content of whats in the game https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/159586-arma-3-assets-objects-weapons-magazines-and-much-more/
  • old video but Virtual arsenal is amazing--->
  • Another beautiful feature with a huge level of detail is Zeus, let the vid explain--->
  • Like 4

Love me some terminal ballistics. There was another good video about shooting an engine block in Arma that was really cool but cant find it. The above are the reasons still love this game.

there are many things over the years.

but the most recent thing is the sounds on Tanoa. arma always had superb environmental sounds that never felt artificial and really made the, imho, biggest strength of the game shine even more. that feeling of actually being in a real place. like, i have memories tied to locations on chernarus. not only from playing early dayZ but in general. simply doesn't happen in most games.

anyways back to my intial point: stand inside the jungle on Tanoa and suddenly switch to night time (skiptime 10). first time i did that it actually was kind of scary. the fact the environmental sounds are locational now helps that A LOT.

• Like 1

Is that actually in ?

I had such impression in this regard about details of the flight patterns of the insects. Butterflies and bees especially. 

Speaking of Tanoa, I came upon this rusting WW2 B-25 completely by accident deep in the jungle, I wonder what other surprises Tanoa has in store for us?

arma3-Tanoa1_zpskuudjieb.jpg~original

• Like 3

I really think Bi deserves a award for Tanoa. It probably is the most alive looking map ever. Even if I know there is no civilians on the map, I feel like if I just go around that block or over the hill I can see daily life.

I think Altis has a lot of character to it as well, although a bit more modular. NW of Altis reminds me a lot of my childhood in Northern Idaho during the summertime. 

• Like 2

The only thing that bugs me about tanoa is that it wont let me drive those fkn mining trucks around and crush everyone. :ph34r:

• Like 3

Details:

• Theres actually wind in the game, and the trees sway accordingly, its not scripted, its dynamic, weather effects it even more
  • day and night cycles, actual time is represented and when you change the month the time change is reflected as in real life

As much as I like Arma as the next guy on this forum, some of this is not totally true or correct.

Wind only affects how much trees sway, not when they sway (i.e. a gust of wind makes a tree sway).  It's more like a number that tells it how much to sway.  While cool whats missing is a lot of things like ballistics being affected by wind, sound being affected by wind, vehicles and planes being affected by wind, etc.  

The tide system is a mod.  Base Arma does not support a real tide system.

Day and night cycles to real time is offset about a week or two.  If you try to create historically correct missions you are either forced to use the wrong date or have a mission with the wrong day night cycle for that date.

Your video is a mod, not an official feature.

In all fairness it changes one line of code I think "maxtide = -4", arma does the raising and lowering itself

I really think Bi deserves a award for Tanoa. It probably is the most alive looking map ever. Even if I know there is no civilians on the map, I feel like if I just go around that block or over the hill I can see daily life.

I think Altis has a lot of character to it as well, although a bit more modular. NW of Altis reminds me a lot of my childhood in Northern Idaho during the summertime. 

And yet some members consider Tanoa as a massive failure.

I love the ambient sounds, I can quite happily take a wander up to one of the peaks, sit there, and watch the sunset with only the ambient sounds around me, the wind etc it's pretty realistic in that sense.

• Like 1

Another one is that the sound of rain changes depending on what plant/tree you are under (Tanoa), try the banana palms - pretty amazing IMO!

/KC

• Like 1

I'd have to agree, but also the younger generation will not understand this game at all to be honest. The only people i hear in voice chat are older. This game takes patience and precision, and if you have neither you cant fully see the game for what it is and how amazing it is. Something that many people under the age of 20 or so don't have yet. 

Insects and dust on Arma 2 made me move my head like if they was real.

What impress me is the very wide use that people make of Arma 3.

I have meet some people that plays it like table RPG, they have an alternate identity, and play it with that "crazy" imersion from table RPG players.

Something that impressed me when I first noticed it was how the barrels of guns accumulate heat as they are fired, and slowly cool down afterwards.