Variable.A

Arma 3 Science Fiction Map

I was flying around the map sightseeing and love the new sounds. The growl startled the heck out of me while I was looking at fireflies during testing of TPWMOD! Those weird hums are cool... don't tell me you just changed the air conditioning sounds from Tanoa at a different pitch?

I wanted to ask if you would consider adding some spore or swamp gas to the purple balls in the lake region? It can be small colored smoke coming off the balls if those were plants or some fungal colony.  Maybe some low level fog around it.

Similar to those Hollywood fog made from liquid nitrogen boiling off... I thought some areas would be awesome with more environmental factors like that and help hide the grass better when someone sets their terrain settings to LOW or NONE.

Also, the AI flies MOSTLY well. It only crashed into the GIANT TREES for some reason. As if it cannot ID how tall it was. But it manage to fly over all of the floating rocks, bases and habitats.

Lastly, I think you eventually must add roads or paths to at least the ground and water bases. 

We have to think if an alien (Terran) colonial force arrived on Pandora, they will create roads to and from their bases whether on purpose or not. Then you can add some sci-fi signs and lit paths to key areas. It would also make the AI maneuver better on the grounds knowing there are "towns" and "paths".

Remember to test any bridges because the AI sometimes get stuck on user made maps with bridges for some reason.

Flying works most of the time. I need to check all of your helipads to see if the AI can land on them correctly. So far Hadley's Hope actually let the AI land perfectly  into the landing pad.

I still need to the find the underground city. :D Looking forward to Spelunking  on Pandora!

Local effects you ask for are possible but would make map unplayable. Smoke or fire effect is very demanding for your system so I prefer to leave those to mission makers.

• Like 1

keep getting Warning Message: Cannot open object a3\vegetation_f_exp\clutter\grass\c_forest_biglleaves.p3d when trying to load the map onto the server any fix for this cheers?

Amazing job! well done, I would like to offer some suggestions! but other wise hats off to you sir!

1. the red plantation that you see every where is causing me huge fps drop, not sure if others are getting the same ? everything else is fine.

2. the random gun shot sound that is played over and over is really not fitting and kind of not necessary, I think i would rather hear a ufo sound fly over or more alien sounds instead.

3. I hope you plan to release some alien looking antagonists, or even some UFO smaller looking creaters to replace fish , wild animals and rabits what we see on altis.

4. More cities similar to what Operation Trebuchet have in style would make this amazing!!!

5. I would like to see one section of the map have harsh conditions , ice cold weather with snow , perhaps the island top left of the map could be turned into ice frozen island ?

6. Do you guys have a website we can follow your work on?

7. some sort of road system or at least path for vehicles to drive and hit dense jungles I think is much needed!

The only thing I didn't like about it is the floating bases, to me they look little cheap and unfinished and that may be the case that they are unfinished but if they looked like spaceship rather than base and only available in cities that have skyscrapers that would really cool instead of random footing objects around the map , dont mix this with the floating rocks and curved rocks those are breath taking!

Thanks and keep up the good work!

I think you should model every single thing in nature but make it alien.  And make it run 130 FPS on my computer.

LOL

• Like 4

Latest update adressed sound issues alot of people were complaining about. Random sounds were for now removed.

Next will try to adress fixes to object geometry and overall texture quality.

I am still getting error message Cannot open object a3\vegetation_f_exp\clutter\grass\c_forest_biglleaves.p3d which is stopping me from using the map is anyone else getting this or know of a fix ? cheers

I am still getting error message Cannot open object a3\vegetation_f_exp\clutter\grass\c_forest_biglleaves.p3d which is stopping me from using the map is anyone else getting this or know of a fix ? cheers

That is not a "show stopper" error message.  Simply click "OK" and continue.

With no proper Star wars mods in development other than a lightsaber or Xwing mod. I dont really thing star wars themes would be the way to go. As Imperial Assault is too lacking in assets to really provide anything and it would also cause issues for anyone else using other si-fi themed mods like Optre, as every mission someone would be an idiot and point out "Why the hell is there a star destroyer on the horizon"

It's a bit late to respond but the reason that Star Wars mods get shut down is the legalities of Intellectual Property. Quite honestly a modder has no real legal power against LucasFilms or even Disney, in which they can sue because Star Wars is a huge cash crop.

Other than that the map looks cool and can't wait to fly amongst the rocks of the Hallelujah area anyway, nice work :)

Latest update adressed sound issues alot of people were complaining about. Random sounds were for now removed.

Next will try to adress fixes to object geometry and overall texture quality.

The sounds were great addition I thought, the only sound I complained about was the random DMR shot sound but the rest were really good, maybe in future if you can make the sound change in different areas forest vs open areas have different sounds?  I cant wait to see your next update on this I am already working on a server with this map.

I looked but I can't see version or change log for this? is there one? also is there a way to get the class names for objects and buildings used on this map? or spawn them in Editor?

I'm testing the new map release right now and works fine except the high red grass areas, then I have a fps drop to -30 fps.

Can you reduce the grass a bit to increase the fps, please?

I see that some compounds are enterable by air only - even in the sea - ...??

Variable,

Unfortunately I have to agree that there does appear to be an FPS impact.  I assume !!! that the drop is due to the grass, however I could be completely mistaken:  I set about to do some unrelated testing in the western-most grassland flat area.  I had a noticeable drop of FPS by simply moving from the Hadley's Hope area to the grassland.  That is simply how I noticed it.  Grass-related?  Location-related?  I'm not sure...

Oh BTW the grass does hide the AI.  My AI bots were unable to see enemy AI laying down in the grass 50m ahead.  Lots of fun!  :)

this was moved to the compete section?

Yes as, as even an alpha release will allow it be present in this area of the forums  B)

Hey there,

just came to express that I'm hoping you'll include the latest iteration of PLP Containers in your next version.

Having the cake and eating it, too, without additional file size ;)

Cheers and keep up the good work!

That would create a mod dependency.  You can't simply copy/paste other people's work into your own work.  Not that simple.

FEATURE REQUEST:

The landing platforms on the different buildings are too small for the larger ships.  Could some of those be enlarged about 2x their current size?  Thinking the "Cloud City" landing platform size... something like that?

• Like 4

My wish List:

1. Dedicated site to help report bugs and misplaced objects.

2. Background sound by area , (jungle, base, city)

3. Shooting stars (night time).

4  Extreme weather + sound (top left island can maybe turned into ice cold snow island?)

5. Larger Landing platforms (hcpookie idea)

6. More hidden areas (underground, caves)

7. Road system or elevated highway to make some path for land vehicles .

8. City of Light - would like to see one large city built using some of the your new assets or similar to that offered in Operations Trebuchet would be very cool !

9. I would like to more habitat areas (land) and some made larger to include more of those new assets 

9. A fix for the red cluter as it is dropping FPS for everyone .

10. some predator AI   :D

only 10 for now :D  +++++ awesome map! loving it so far !

@ Variable - OPTRE team advised the following on regarding their gridlock map using grasses:

Hm, the grass file is "c_StrGrassGreen_group.p3d", I don´t understand why it would render all the grass on Pandora invisible though. I created a simple reference to vanilla A3 grass without editing anything on it.

Perhaps you can figure out the compatibility issue between this map and Gridlock for the next update.

[bug] most of the floating building either don't have physics so you if try to land there , player goes through the floor landing dead in the terrain, some of the other ones seem to have invisble walls/objects so you are not able to move into what looks like an empty space .

I just downloaded the Pandora Map and the Operation: Trebuchet Mod. I installed them, went to the Eden Editor placed 1 blufor Officer (player) 1 blurfor crewman (playable) 1 optfor Officer and 1 optfor Crewman on the (Pandora) map. The men came from the Operation: Trebuchet mod. I saved it as Pandora_test_mission. when I tried to play it i got this ERROR MSG ---> Extentopn ace_parce_imagepath.dll      Not Installed. What do i do now?

I think that was a flame-bait comment, however I should apologize to the person who asked the question as I was a bit tired when I suggested to uninstall ACE.  Now that I'm better rested I'll elaborate.  :)

Your error implies an ACE file is either missing or cannot be loaded.  I would recommend uninstalling ACE to validate the error goes away.  If it does, then your ACE install may be munged.  I have yet to see anyone else having ACE issues... perhaps others do but they simply haven't reported them? 

Ultimately the map is still WIP as I think the creator is still planning to build the map further.  So if it IS a map-related issue, try to remove all the other mods and try with JUST this map in plain vanilla Arma and see if the error returns.  If not then add the other mods and see if the error happens again.  Once a valid repro of the error can be made, the root cause can be identified. 

Otherwise everything is simply guesswork.  Removing the bits one by one until it can be reproduced is the only way to get to the bottom of the issue.

• Like 4