Variable.A

Arma 3 Science Fiction Map

First Map release on Steam Workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=771298211

Oh splendid! Returned from school, Found this and found OPTRE update + arma update! Eh I guess I'm downloading 5.6 GBs tomorrow!

P.S: The literal fact this is only 456 MB makes me astonished, So detailed and beautiful yet small file size!

man i love th red grass. i was thinking, if you are using CUP at all as a requirement you could mix some of those orange/red trees (orginal autumn chernarus) in there. would give them a whole new context.

• Like 1

Amazing !! really inspired work here Variable A.

20160928065510_1_zpss7gespwl.jpg

20160928070322_1_zpssgoquadm.jpg

• Like 6

There's a conflict with your map and OPTRE MOD.

The map is rendering without grass if the OPTRE MOD is loaded.

I dont See why . One has nothing to do with the other plus i use OPTRE and see the grass

It's not OPTRE-related : I have an error message stating that some grass clutter model can't be opened.

No other adons loaded, I own Apex.

hey mate, map looks absolutely stunning! 

only thing i found odd was the amount of grass, much more would be great otherwise the ground texture just stands about a bit too much

• Like 1

I'm using the OPTRE Steam version and I only can see this:

8GEm9Ng.jpg

Without OPTRE I can see the grass and the crystals perfectly.

• Like 1

man. that looks creative.

on the OPTRE thing. it might be just class name overlap. jsut make sure you use your personal tag on class names as much as you can to avoid that kind of stuff. like instead of

class grass_clutter

do

class VAR_grass_clutter

sorry if i'm pointing out the obvious. just incase you don't know.

• Like 1

First map, where my units are perfectly camoflaged ^^

950F25E8D70C5DE5EBE40688876F9FF11C842D85

(Vests & helmets are replacers)

I really love this map

• Like 4

I will try to play with class names for clutter objects. I have really no other idea what might be the conflict as both crystals and red glass have rather unique names.

First impressions :) map design, locations, object placing and custom buildings are absolutely awesome !! For the clutter...while I really like the red grass and the blue crystals I think they are used to much. I would like to see them more used in open grassland spaces  and around areas of water ( they also look amazing under water ) not that much in the jungle areas ( could be mixed in here and there though). This would give more diversity and help with performance I think. Also since this map is really going to become a masterpiece, please give the satmap some love, Maybe you can blend in some parts of real world sat images...would be the icing on the cake :)

this is definitely one of the most innovative Arma maps I've ever played

keep it up

New recruits marching

3A476D4496610A7FE676ED7794BE658C6BC30D85

(There isn't any modded or vanilla marching animation :(  )

• Like 4

A few bug reports in case you don't already know about them.  Yes I own apex:

1. "Cannot open object a3\vegetation_f_exp\clutter\grass\c_red_dirt_sparse_grass2.p3d"

2.  "Cannot load texture pandoracustom\data\hexagon_co.paa"

3.  "Cannot load texture a3\data_f\penetration\armour_plate_23mm.rvmat"

from RPT:  "Sound: Error: File: junglesound\ambient\dtboa1.wss not found !!!"

Gate openings at Hadley's hope cannot be used, the geo lod appears to be blocking the exits.

Overall nice map!  Nice frame rates, no stutter I can detect.

just needs some of those underground areas now :D

A few ideas other than underground prep - the research station pegasus - if that's a volcano area, I wonder if some sort of particle effect could be added to the area to give it an "active volcano" feel, like the heat distortion effect and perhaps some spawning flames etc.  Just thinking aloud :)

Perhaps some of the floating islands a little larger so we can land on them?

Also digging Hadley's Hope.  :)   Would like to see if Vilas' space marines ever made it into A3.  Not sure that they did.

Having fun in Arma for the first time in a while :)

• Like 1

Also digging Hadley's Hope.  :)   Would like to see if Vilas' space marines ever made it into A3.  Not sure that they did.

Yes they did... waaaaay back on alpha days, I still have them on my hd I think, but they´re all bugged (sound and config errors) after all the engine overhauls

Ohhh found it on armaholic! http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20776&highlight=COLONIAL%2BMARINES

Booce did it, and updated it back on early 2015... maybe still works...didn´t take a shot ever since! 

Cheers!

No I was referring to Vilas' colonial marines pack:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7128

... and here:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/82794-vilas-addons-release-thread/

7. COLONIAL MARINES AND APC, ALIEN MOVIE AND AVP GAME TRIBUTE

on special requests i converted old A1 addon of Colonial Marines and APC from Alien movie and weapons from AVP games and movies :]

http://www.armaholic...s/vil_apc_a2.7z
last wip from 3rd March 2013

Since it was last updated for A2 in Jan 2014 I don't think there is an A3 version :(

Edit to add....

Well I'll be darned.  You can load up the Vilas APC but it complains about the main gun.  The model however seems to work.  A custom config would be all it would need.  Wonder if Vilas would let that be updated for A3... anyone know how to get in touch with him these days?

Are you going to release on armaholic (some of us don't use steam mods) ?

• Like 2

Thanks to Vilas I just received permission to import his Colonial Marines work into A3 (APC and soldier weaponry)... his APC looks at home in Hadley's Hope :)   We need that atmospheric reactor online! :D

CMtest1.jpg

• Like 7

@Hcpookie: yeah, I know you were refering to Vila´s Space Marines, I´ve played a lot with them on A2 and recalled Booce work on A3 (I thought Booce was porting Vila´s, then I´ve fird it up - still works - and saw it was his own work... Vila´s is waaay more polished, the ammo counter works on his M41A Pulse Rifle if I recall right, there was an autogun and the apc is sooo damn sexy)

Ohhh great to know Vila´s let you port this mod, Pandora definatly needs some Space Marines to pacify this alien wildlands =)

Cheers!

Has this map been updated recently? I've launched it today and pretty much all grass is gone, including the red ones? :confused:

Extracted from his STEAM map faq:

FAQ:

1) I dont see red grass or any clutter !

A- It is either a problem with individual quality settings or your hardware unable to render so many objects at close distance. I have not found any other reasons as majority dont have issue.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=771298211