Variable.A

Arma 3 Science Fiction Map

Hey Variable, have you thought about messing around the the skybox of this terrain? Eg. changing the colour of the sky, making the moon larger, making new star constellations for night. I think those things would make this terrain much more authentic. Btw, nice looking map. I can't wait to colonise it with Sangheili!

• Like 2

Really fantastic work-it looks like a very unique and exciting terrain

Now we just need the Mako from Mass Effect to explore this place :D

I am not so deep in stuff behind making terrain, but are you able to define at what altitude and with what thickness stormy clouds created are? I think there'd be great immersion to make an approach through low clouds right to a landing platform in heavy rain, similar to this picture:

hong-kong-during-a-foggy-night-looks-lik

With no proper Star wars mods in development other than a lightsaber or Xwing mod. I dont really thing star wars themes would be the way to go. As Imperial Assault is too lacking in assets to really provide anything and it would also cause issues for anyone else using other si-fi themed mods like Optre, as every mission someone would be an idiot and point out "Why the hell is there a star destroyer on the horizon"

• Like 2

I kinda agree with Lykos here (eventhough it seems to be placed in a remote location and maybe easy to avoid) : everything I've seen so far can easily blend in with other sci-fi mods; but something such iconic as Star Wars makes that a tad harder I think...

Otherwise I love the progress made so far!

(The only complaint I may have is that those planets look a bit stretched on the skybox, isn't it possible to replace the textures used for the moon for instance?)

• Like 4

I personally like the crashed Star Destroyer. And who's to say that it just has to represent a Star Destroyer. It could easily be a crashed ship from Generic Space Fareing Civilization XYZ. You just have to use your imagination.

• Like 1

The reason the celestial bodies look stretched is because they're near the horizon and the sky box is still I assume a hemispherical dome, so anything at the bottom near the horizon gets stretched due to the UV mapping.

I tried doing something similar in arma 1, but could never figure out how to fix that.

• Like 1

The reason the celestial bodies look stretched is because they're near the horizon and the sky box is still I assume a hemispherical dome, so anything at the bottom near the horizon gets stretched due to the UV mapping.

I tried doing something similar in arma 1, but could never figure out how to fix that.

Yeah actually that should be solved if you stretch the texture accordingly. I once accessed the skydome model with another not approved method when the mlods hadn't been released to learn what was going on. But now with the MLOD release of ArmA2 we should be able to access the sky model "officially" or not  :huh: . Can't look into my files now.

But even if you don't stretch the texture, a pure star texture without nebulas seems to work the best as the stretch effect is not that apparent. 

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12765

Also really great looking buildings / caves you have there, I remember seeing them on armedassault.info I think.

@Topic

Superb map, I'm looking forward to it. And great use of custom models :)

• Like 3

Colonist settlements added:

arma3_2016_09_14_17_50_55_08.jpg

how to print screen on pc

arma3_2016_09_14_17_55_24_09.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way...this looks awesome.  I'm really excited about this map.  Great job.  (here comes inevitable "but") But, can you please not make the land geometry shoot up from the ground like this?  It doesn't look believable (yes, I know, it's a sci-fi map).  If you insist on doing this can you please put rocks or crystals or something all around it the break up the obvious land geometry deformation?  Grass doesn't grow on hills like this and I doubt they will on a foreign planet.

Again, this is awesome.  It looks great so far.  I don't download many maps but this is definitely on my to-get-when-it's-released list, which is ridiculously short.  This is just constructive, friendly criticism.

• Like 6

There's only a spanish word to desbribe this map:

¡¡¡ACOJONANTE!!!

Excellent work!

• Like 1

Don't take this the wrong way...this looks awesome.  I'm really excited about this map.  Great job.  (here comes inevitable "but") But, can you please not make the land geometry shoot up from the ground like this?  It doesn't look believable (yes, I know, it's a sci-fi map).  If you insist on doing this can you please put rocks or crystals or something all around it the break up the obvious land geometry deformation?  Grass doesn't grow on hills like this and I doubt they will on a foreign planet.

Again, this is awesome.  It looks great so far.  I don't download many maps but this is definitely on my to-get-when-it's-released list, which is ridiculously short.  This is just constructive, friendly criticism.

Additionally infantry won't traverse the terrain

Thank you for all the feedback so far I take very seriously every comment and suggestion even if I don't respond .

Regarding star cruiser it is out. It looked cool but with Star Wars theme mod discontinued it had little practical value . Will perhaps be replaced with another less obvious model.

Cliffs under settlements will be covered with foliage but will remain inaccessible to infantry. Idea is settlements are not militarized so they occupy spots which give them natural protection. Only way up there will be air assault. I like the crystals idea will surely give it a try.

Stretching is easy to fix you just shrink the model vertically before applying it to the sky texture . That way when it is wrapped on the dome model it will more or less go to its original shape . It requires a little testing but works. In game it looks good so I think I won't touch it anymore it is rather time consuming as to test in game you need to recrunch the map each time....

A lot of your ideas will be implemented on the map so keep sending them folks . Also thank you for many PMs with all the suggestions.

• Like 6

I am looking for someone with good mission making skills to create a TvT mission for the test server. If you are interested to help send me a PM.

ME WANTS!

On a human note, Epic look, I think this will be my go to map for a while! Keep up the great work :)

I see you've added an emissive rvmat to a part of the building on the screenshot. I'd suggest creating additional polys with alpha channel, and the rvmat applied to the polys to create better effect like I marked on my picture. This way you can easily change a color of the emissive lights on those buildings, if needed, even through using script/command - like white light for normal operating base, red light whenever alarm was rised, etc. Just my 2 cents. Beside this, I am delighted! Keep up the great work!

http://imgur.com/a/ocr6p

Some underground tunnel/bunker areas of course should be considered :)  Just make a big "scooped out" area for the structure and cover it with a flat "building" consisting of a platform w/ a grass (or stone) top surface.  The net result is the area is "hollow" so to speak for the underground buildings.

• Like 1

The crystals... That's it I'm going to forcefully destroy my computer until nothing is made if I can't run this splendid map!

Beautiful images man! Progress is very fast and very very impressive! :D this is gonna be a huge hit!

(OPTRE, Z&D... The perfect zombie apocalypse mission combo!)

Cheers!