Sign in to follow this  
DrSova

handAnim again

Hi. I have trouble with handAnim. I create animation with Blender Rig, Export in O2 and savertm. If I import .rtm in O2, it looks like this:

9ru81yYOePQ.jpg

But when I import in game, it looks

m2ZluEALTbM.jpg

What I am doing wrong?

Out of curiosity, what does the animation look like in Blender?

I'm not getting any problems myself when exporting and loading an animation onto the A3 example character.

3DhOTnvs.jpg ljFIwiz7.jpg

What are you using as a reference for the axe in Blender?

I'm not getting any problems myself when exporting and loading an animation onto the A3 example character.

3DhOTnvs.jpg ljFIwiz7.jpg

What are you using as a reference for the axe in Blender?

In a blender it looks just like oxygen. Instead of an axe I use standard weapon in a blender

Ok. So how does your axe model look in object builder? Where is it situated on the grid? 

Ok. So how does your axe model look in object builder? Where is it situated on the grid? 

My main problem in hands. Would weapon can affect on it?

I don't have enough experience configuring hand anims to advise you on that part.

From my point of view there could be an offset on your axe model, which means using the weapon(m16) as a reference, is giving you a false idea of where it is when you animate it. Ideally what you want to see in object builder should be the same as what you see in Blender.

I think you need to direct the weapon proxy to your axe mesh using the a3 example character, and then extract it to see where it actually sits in 3d space. In order for it to work it should sit roughly where the weapon is in the example character.

Do you understand what I mean? :)

I don't have enough experience configuring hand anims to advise you on that part.

From my point of view there could be an offset on your axe model, which means using the weapon(m16) as a reference, is giving you a false idea of where it is when you animate it. Ideally what you want to see in object builder should be the same as what you see in Blender.

I think you need to direct the weapon proxy to your axe mesh using the a3 example character, and then extract it to see where it actually sits in 3d space. In order for it to work it should sit roughly where the weapon is in the example character.

Do you understand what I mean? :)

Okay.But now I tried to rotate axe in O2. In game it changed his position, but hands didn't change.

Before I say anything else. Can I see a picture of the axe model in your Object builder viewport?

The problem could be hand anims. But it's best to make sure there's no issues with the model and character animation first.

Before I say anything else. Can I see a picture of the axe model in your Object builder viewport?

yes

b2xT278nlK0.jpg

Ok. I think that's going to cause you some problems unless you bring the model into Blender. If you don't you can't see how the axe looks in the character's hand until you bring it into OB or the game.

If you intend to make the axe a primary weapon, then it should have a similar orientation to the default weapon mesh in the A3 example model.

Like this:

IqXjpUxX.jpg

And the axe model itself, aligned to a rifle mesh:

a6OfQgeD.jpg

You should end up with something like this in object builder:

iuEgNZ78.jpg MoEZbB0q.jpg

Ok. I think that's going to cause you some problems unless you bring the model into Blender. If you don't you can't see how the axe looks

in the character's hand until you bring it into OB or the game.

If you intend to make the axe a primary weapon, then it should have a similar orientation to the default weapon mesh in the A3 example model.

Like this:

IqXjpUxX.jpg

problem not in position of axe, I say again. Problem in hands, that broken. I repeat my question:

Why this hands

W3RUesEOVFA.jpg

Looks in game looks like

LF7LhkpZywk.jpg

Ok. You seem to have your mind made up that the model position won't cause any issues. That's your call.

Maybe you should config the axe as a pistol. Then you shouldn't have to worry about hand anims affecting the results. As a pistol doesn't require an animatable bone. It's proxy follows the right hand.

Why is the weapon bone (the rifle in the blender rig ) rotated like that?

Rotation and translation of the weapon model should only be done in the weapon model itself (the .p3d file) or with a proper animation such as a gesture.

Handanim does not perform any movement of the weapon bone - it merely creates IK based on the relative positions of the hand bones to the weapon bone, with the weapon bone's position being determined by the base character animation or gesture (such as a reload gesture or hand signal)

Consequently, because you have rotated the weapon bone, the orientation of the hands relative to that bone are way off when you import the handanim .rtm in to Arma

Why is the weapon bone (the rifle in the blender rig ) rotated like that?

Rotation and translation of the weapon model should only be done in the weapon model itself (the .p3d file) or with a proper animation such as a gesture.

Handanim does not perform any movement of the weapon bone - it merely creates IK based on the relative positions of the hand bones to the weapon bone, with the weapon bone's position being determined by the base character animation or gesture (such as a reload gesture or hand signal)

Consequently, because you have rotated the weapon bone, the orientation of the hands relative to that bone are way off when you import the handanim .rtm in to Arma

Hm, ok, i will try your version later,

Sorry for any confusion. I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I had it in my mind you were doing a pose despite you mentioning hand anims in the first post.  :rolleyes:

Leave the weapon bone where it is and move the hands to to the weapon mesh. Instead of the weapon to the hands. I imagine that's going to be pretty awkward without any visual reference though.

Or bring in a model of the axe and animate the hands gripping the handle. That's the best approach.

Just make sure you switch off the "childof" constraint before you do anything though, as the weapon bone is parented to the right hand by default. Any translation or rotation of the right hand will automatically affect the weapon bone too and be included in the exported rtm.

• Like 1

Sorry for any confusion. I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I had it in my mind you were doing a pose despite you mentioning hand anims in the first post.  :rolleyes:

Leave the weapon bone where it is and move the hands to it. Instead of the weapon to the hands. You can move the weapon bone if you feel it's necessary, but as Da12thmonkey said, don't rotate it at all.

Just make sure you switch off the "childof" constraint before you do anything though, as the weapon bone is parented to the right hand by default. Any translation or rotation of the right hand will automatically affect the weapon bone too.

okay, thanks for answer. But I have new question for you. I downloaded armA Rig Blender 1.6. I  created new animation, pressed "Export", checked "Root Translation Only", saved. But when I import into O2, it gives me error "Integer is ot of range: line 5". As far as I understand, compares previous .blend files, I have a problem with ROOT __0, because in previous files, instead __0 was @Control_Master. You have never met this problem?

Do you mean you downloaded version 6.1 of the blend file?

If so it's not set up to export to BVH anymore. I stopped using that a long time ago as I found it too messy. The last few versions of the rig are only compatible with Alwarren's Arma toolbox. Using the bvh exporter with that last version will give you errors. As the rig no longer contains any links between valid bones.

If you need a little help setting it up you can pm me. It's not a complicated process. The good thing is that animations like the one you are doing, can be exported directly without any messing around with dialogs in O2/Object builder. You just export and load the rtm onto the model. Or go directly to game.

• Like 1

Do you mean you downloaded version 6.1 of the blend file?

If so it's not set up to export to BVH anymore. I stopped using that a long time ago as I found it too messy. The last few versions of the rig are only compatible with Alwarren's Arma toolbox. Using the bvh exporter with that last version will give you errors. As the rig no longer contains any links between valid bones.

do you have any tutorials with this toolbox?

Oh, I see, it simple to use. Thank you

Hm, okay, I deleted weapon's bone, created animation and now, in game I have this

c7WGqcHS8SI.jpg

Can you explain what you mean by "deleted the weapon's bone" ?

I can't think of any reason to delete bones in this case.

Is the P3d for the axe still in the same position it was , in the previous picture you showed? :)

Can you explain what you mean by "deleted the weapon's bone" ?

I can't think of any reason to delete bones in this case.

Is the P3d for the axe still in the same position it was , in the previous picture you showed? :)

I mean, that i have really deleted bone "weapon" in blender rig. When I did this, I understood that position of the hands of the model relative to the bone "weapon" in the blender rig. But why? I'm confused. Can you make a right basic example with the hands for weapon?

Ok. As I mentioned earlier I don't mess around with hand anims much and I don't mod for a3.

In the character model if you look at it in Object builder, there's a proxy called "\A3\Characters_F\Proxies\weapon.001". That proxy is also part of the selection "weapon". The weapon bone in the rig controls that.

If you delete that bone then there will be no data in the rtm to control the proxy. So it will most likely default to whatever position it has in the model once you bring it in game. Which means it will be to the right and buried in the ground. It definitely won't be in your hands.

I don't think hand anims alone will be enough if you intent to use the axe as an actual melee weapon, like in Dayz. Hand anims were created simply to make the hands fit whatever model the player is using at the time. Some rifles just have a standard barrel cover. While others might have a fore-grip. Or an under-slung grenade launcher. The hand anims simply allow the user to place the hands for that model, so they don't grasp it incorrectly. They act like an "offset" to whatever animation is running. But that's all.

I just thought I'd reply to make a few things clearer. It would be better to wait for someone with more experience to show you how to proceed. I don't want to lead you astray with incorrect information. :)

• Like 1