Sign in to follow this  
dragon01

Looking for a large continental US map

I'd like to ask if anyone knows of a good, large (10x10km at least, the bigger, the better) map located somewhere in Continental United States, suitable for Red Dawn/OFP:R style guerilla warfare as well as limited tank battles. Has anything like that been made for ArmA3? 

I'd like to ask if anyone knows of a good, large (10x10km at least, the bigger, the better) map located somewhere in Continental United States, suitable for Red Dawn/OFP:R style guerilla warfare as well as limited tank battles. Has anything like that been made for ArmA3? 

yes there are a small hand full of amounts of islands which are based in the US, however most are made for "life" role playing pew pew battlefield/ cod no repercussions friendly game modes... so most of the terrain objects will not be destructible sadly.  look around, I have seen a few not sure if they fit your 100km2 quota. 

That is an addon request thread. I don't want to request an addon. I want to find one that is already functional (not necessarily final, but at least functional). Even assuming someone besides the requesters actually reads that thread (I doubt it), I know how much work and time it takes to make a good, large terrain from scratch. Let's say I'd like to get some work on the missions done before Christmas. :) Even assuming someone responded to my request, I'd be in for a few months worth of waiting before anything playable came out of it.

I've heard about "life" mods, but as the things I've heard were mostly bad, I've never paid much attention to them. The only question is that of the map size and diversity. I want a map that could potentially work for a campaign setting, so I'm looking for something akin to Chernarus or Takistan. I don't mind non-destructible buildings, I can work around that. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could point me to a specific map, even if it was originally made for RP servers. Assuming, of course, that it isn't built on stolen content.

That is an addon request thread. I don't want to request an addon. I want to find one that is already functional (not necessarily final, but at least functional). Even assuming someone besides the requesters actually reads that thread (I doubt it), I know how much work and time it takes to make a good, large terrain from scratch. Let's say I'd like to get some work on the missions done before Christmas. :) Even assuming someone responded to my request, I'd be in for a few months worth of waiting before anything playable came out of it.

I've heard about "life" mods, but as the things I've heard were mostly bad, I've never paid much attention to them. The only question is that of the map size and diversity. I want a map that could potentially work for a campaign setting, so I'm looking for something akin to Chernarus or Takistan. I don't mind non-destructible buildings, I can work around that. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could point me to a specific map, even if it was originally made for RP servers. Assuming, of course, that it isn't built on stolen content.

If you read the first post of the Addon Request Thread, you would have noticed this:

1. Sharing your addon ideas with modders

- or -

2. Trying to locate a mod or addon

So ProfTournesol was right!

• Like 2

hi, are you aware of armaholic?

http://www.armaholic.com

have a trawl through the terrain section if you haven't already, i found Alaska:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29331

Governers island in New York

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=31092

and a generic American city map (which i believe is used for life mods?)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23869

as to whether or not they're good; i've only tried the Alaska map a while ago and it was pretty beta, might have improved a lot since then though was good for mountainous terrain (run to the hills etc). the minihatten mod might be closest to what you're after, it has a few custom buildings (sky scrapers!)

happy hunting

• Like 1

Have you actually checked out Minihattan? It's just a city. There's nothing else on the map outside of it. Sure, there's potential for some interesting gameplay here, but not the whole campaign. Governor's Island is tiny and an island. I need mainland US. I suppose I could go with something surrounded by water if I had to, but even then, Governor's Island is good for one mission at best. I wasn't kidding with the whole "100 square kilometers or more", you know? If I needed a tiny US map, there's a few of them out there. 

Alaska is big enough, but it's just endless wilderness with huge mountains. No civilization, no proper roads for convoys to drive on (and you can't have a guerilla campaign without bushwacking convoys), no military bases or even space for them. That's not what I'm after. In fact, I'm very familiar with Armaholic. None of the maps there are what I want. I need a a lightly urbanized area with enough wilderness for the guerillas to be able to hide, in short, a "typical" ArmA map. 

Sugar Lake. I am using it for an ALiVE scenario with CUP RACS as a stand-in for a seditious LA Nat'l Guard vs the USMC. It's basically all low-density industrial/urban or wilderness/bayou. Armor is necessarily funnelled into the long causeways outside the urban areas, so it doesn't dominate.

Hmm, now that one looks interesting. It's small-ish for my purposes, though. Only 64 square kilometers in size, most of it water. It's certainly diverse enough. Thanks for the suggestion.

That said, it is mostly water, unfortunately. I can't say I don't like it, but I have a hard time imagining a successful rebel operation surviving long in there (not enough places to hide). Another problem, RHS (which I plan on basing the whole thing around) is unfortunately devoid of boats, which poses huge a problem on a terrain like that. If tracked vehicles worked in water I suppose I could work around that (indeed, it'd be an awesome place to make the most of the amphibious abilities of Russian IFVs), but they don't. On the other hand, if I did make it work, it would be something never seen before in the ArmA series... I dunno if I have the skills to do it right, but a guerilla campaign which uses boats and amphibious vehicles instead of trucks sounds like something I'd like to see. :)

Well, I'm still open to suggestions, preferably for something more conventional than Sugar Lake. I'll step up my pestering BIS for fixing the TankX behavior in water in the meantime. :) I'd need mods beside RHS, but dang it, that idea is just too good to pass up. 

ok i'll risk another suggestion. have you seen 'applegate community map'? another life mod map i think

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26898

the source files are posted here too so there might be various versions available elsewhere, ask uncle google.

i've only seen this map in video so am not sure of its size and how finished it is. ;)

Could we please not moderate from the backseat? If that was actually an issue, actual moderators would've done something by now. Besides, I'm only a newcomer to Eden, not to modding communities. The "request threads" there so noobs don't spam the main forum with addon requests. Nobody important (except mods, perhaps, and then only because they have to keep the thread civil) reads them. Had I posted there, my question would've received one or two answers akin to the first few posts, then disappeared under the usual flow of mod requests. I'm not looking for something which can be easily found, so I want my question to be seen by people who could be familiar with a lot of terrains, including those from Life mods and ones made for ArmA2. 

ok i'll risk another suggestion. have you seen 'applegate community map'? another life mod map i think

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26898

the source files are posted here too so there might be various versions available elsewhere, ask uncle google.

i've only seen this map in video so am not sure of its size and how finished it is. ;)

Isn't that one for OA, though? Can one just install a map from an earlier game in ArmA3 with CUP Terrains Core loaded and it'll work? That'd certainly make  It certainly looks like it's big enough, is the right kind of environment and being originally made by Opteryx, it seems to have quite a high standard of quality. It doesn't seem to have an updated version, though (Steam Workshop doesn't turn up with anything, at least). Even if it does run, I don't know how the lighting update would affect directly ported maps. 

I'm definitely going to try it out, though. Resolving any graphical glitches that might pop up might be a good starting point for learning the terrain editor. Either way, thank you very much. This map looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Good amount of civilization and large wooded areas around it in which the guerillas can hide. Good amount of roads to bushwack convoys on and a huge bridge, which looks like just the thing to fight battles for (dunno if it's destructible, but that would've been the cherry on top :)).

Closing - this belongs in the addon request thread. It would have got sorted earlier, but moderators are only volunteers and we do have a real life also ;)

• Like 3