Sign in to follow this  
Boss-Starstreams

AH64D Helicopters being shot down by BMP every time -ArmA3

I'm not sure if this is game related, or mod specific. But why is it that all the helicopters get shot down every time by tanks? I'm using a BMP in this mission..

I tried using the 3den Enhanced to set the skill for both gunner and polite in the chopper: i..e..  max aim accuracy, aim speed and spot distance, and the AH64 still gets shot down every time.

I also set the tank's crew skills very low, (in the 20s) for the same settings as the AH64. The 3den Enhanced does work with regard to the tanks firing at me, but the settings don't seem to have an effect on the choppers.

But the larger question is: why are the AI settings in ArmA3 so unrealistic that we have to change them for everything we add? Couldn't there have been a better default setting?

Tanks shoot at you and kill you on the first shot when you're sneaking in a forest 400 feet away. This is BS. There is no way. I have friends who are active in the military, and they even said it's unrealistic. I don't know why BIS hacked the settings in ArmA3 so bad. A solder gets tired in 30 seconds of running? Give me a break. That's not a solder, that's a wimp. They are not running full speed as we've been told for them to be out of breath this quick. The objects in the scene don't pass quick enough for them to be sprinting. The default AI settings in ArmA 3 are horrible. Sorry, not trying to be negative. But A2 was fun. I'm spending more time tweaking things in A3 then playing the game.

Thankfully there are people in the community providing utilities such as 3den Enhanced.

Had it not been for that, What would we do, live with these ridiculous default settings? Seriously.

Wow that's a mouthful... So

A) Sounds like maybe you're using a mod and not just the default game.

B) Tanks sometimes have this imaging sensor where they can see heat signatures, so that's cool.

C) You probably were carrying a lot more than you should have if you got tired in 30 seconds

Also this is the wrong place to post this.

• Like 3

That was a pretty quick answer to a problem that's not resolved. Wrong place to post this? You said, "Sounds like maybe you're using a mod and not just the default game" then you said, "... this is the wrong place to post this."

I think the title to this topic is titled: ARMA 3 - ADDONS & MODS: DISCUSSION is it not?

How about making the game work with the mods, rather then making the modes work for the game since the game has a bad habit of changing and breaking the mods. You know, that use to be how it was with ArmA2.

I know about the heat sensors, but getting killed in the first shot when the tank's turret was pointed away from the player, and then it turns and instantly hits it's target with accurate precision ..EVERYTIME?  Give me a break, Fix the game. I get killed every time when behind HUGE rocks as though the tanks are shooting grenades. Using features like Lean use to work when trying to conceal your location behind buildings, but that's not the case anymore. The AI knows you're there. You don't think solders have heat deflectors in their uniforms today? They do. If this is a game of the future (which is an excuse attempt to market a new product IMO) then put futuristic uniforms on the players. And you said it you're self. Tanks Sometimes have heat sensors.

And I was not carrying a lot of equipment to be out of breath. Again, that was a quick answer to an unresolved issues that obviously no one seems to care about. Welcome to the iPhone generation of  - "lets just go with the flow mentality."

By the way, I was an assault solder with the default load out, so that was a good guess. Turns out the solders in ArmA3 are just wimps. Maybe I forgot to run em though the workout program at the beginning of the game, or is that another expansion I need to get?

Why is it that the NEW ArmA3 community is always quick to find faults with people's questions rather then making the game great.  I've been a member and supporter of ArmA 2 all the way back to OFP from to 1998.

ArmA 3 would be nothing if it we're not for the mods. I would not even play A3 if it were not for CUP, and that's not my opinion alone. The old community is not hear anymore, they are long gone.

What the fuck is up with your font changing. Also, having a go at someone cause they may not have answered your question the way you wanted to doesn't help either. Wardens response may not have been the best.. however from reading your response I don't even think you deserve help anymore. Go figure the problem out on your own. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is game related, or mod specific. But why is it that all the helicopters get shot down every time by tanks? I'm using a BMP in this mission..

I tried using the 3den Enhanced to set the skill for both gunner and polite in the chopper: i..e..  max aim accuracy, aim speed and spot distance, and the AH64 still gets shot down every time.

I also set the tank's crew skills very low, (in the 20s) for the same settings as the AH64. The 3den Enhanced does work with regard to the tanks firing at me, but the settings don't seem to have an effect on the choppers.

But the larger question is: why are the AI settings in ArmA3 so unrealistic that we have to change them for everything we add? Couldn't there have been a better default setting?

Tanks shoot at you and kill you on the first shot when you're sneaking in a forest 400 feet away. This is BS. There is no way. I have friends who are active in the military, and they even said it's unrealistic. I don't know why BIS hacked the settings in ArmA3 so bad. A solder gets tired in 30 seconds of running? Give me a break. That's not a solder, that's a wimp. They are not running full speed as we've been told for them to be out of breath this quick. The objects in the scene don't pass quick enough for them to be sprinting. The default AI settings in ArmA 3 are horrible. Sorry, not trying to be negative. But A2 was fun. I'm spending more time tweaking things in A3 then playing the game.

Thankfully there are people in the community providing utilities such as 3den Enhanced.

Had it not been for that, What would we do, live with these ridiculous default settings? Seriously.

Bmp 2 are very effective APC... light, fast, large amounts of torque, amphibious, low profile and can carry 8 troops inside, designed to counter tanks if encountered and yes even Helicopters and slow moving aircraft with its cannon at 600 rpm. the cannon can point up at 70 (or higher) degrees upwards. 

and you are using mods... mods which are not configured to a set standard... some vehicles will fire their cannon like a water hose, some will never use a certain weapon. it all depend on what the mod maker has set in the config files.  when you talk about the AI having to be set all the time, well thats why you make well thought out missions, and every mission maker has a certain idea on how to make the AI behave with no set in stone standard.

This is more the place for people who actually make content to post about it. You should try the feedback tracker since.... idk that's what it's there for.

I suggest taking vanilla vehicles and see if the issue persists.

If not, blame the mod devs or post on their feedback channels, if yes, do so on BIS one.

The game is not perfect but the ability to tweak everything to our likings is not a downside at all, its the one of the reasons I love it for.

Yep I agree. Strip all addons away & try the problem in vanilla. Otherwise everything you hear will be a guess.

Fatigue - as far as I've seen it, it depends on what you carry. Enable the fatigue HUD bar and you will see the relationship between your loadout and your fatigue. It will make more sense then.

1. Because in default ArmA, AI pilots prefer to rush enemy position and prefer using cannons instead using standoff weapons (like missiles) to take out enemy units from safe distance.

2. AI in Arma3 actually has more realistic detection ability compared to A1 and A2. (assuming you didn't use mods to alternate behavior)

I have no problems crawling around tanks as long as not in front of them. Also taken into account that most vehicles in A3 has FLIR compared to only US in previous games.