lawman_actual

XBOX Controller Sensitivity Issue

I've just recently acquired a wired XBOX 360 controller, primarily for use with another game, and was curious to see if I could use it with Arma.

Please no posts about "not enough buttons" or "buy a console". 

There ARE enough buttons for what I have in mind, and i have a console. 

Down to the issue then:

When using custom mapping (having disabled the default XBOX 360 scheme) the turning sensitivity seems to be overidden to nothing short of painfully slow.

Movement is fine (left stick), but looking up/down and rotating are ludicriously sluggish even with the controllers supposed X and Y axes turned to max sensitivity.

I'd be prepared to let this die if it wasn't for the fact that the XBOX scheme (with in-built mapping) works absolutely fine on the sticks; turning happens as expected.

Sadly I can't just use this because the default mappings aren't ideal.

SO....if the default scheme can get the turning right, is there not a way for me to achieve the same without a scheme?

Thanks.

I use a controller to play all the time, but I use xpadder to set it up.I am trying to remember when i was just using the vanilla controls without xpadder-I think changing mouse sensitivity will change it for controllers too. I just used it the other day without xpadder and I did get it working fine, so it can be done. Try the mouse sensitivity.

However I strongly advise you try xpadder out. it means you can map far more things to the controller and you can set modifier buttons.For example I have my full infantry scheme set up.But if I press the "back" button on the controller, all the buttons change and it becomes a flight profile.

• Like 1

Thanks aphid

I was hoping to avoid downloading programs where possible (just got a new laptop and I'm still under the delusion I can keep it relatively clutter-free),

but if there is no suggestion otherwise for how to overcome this then I may have to look into it. 

I did attempt to modify the mouse pointer too, but it seemed to have no notable bearing on the controller's sensitivity.

It seems to me that ensuring the stick is being pushed entirely on the X or Y axis alone does increase the speed a little (still far too slow though), so I wonder if it is having difficulties coping with combining X and Y axis inputs from the controller.

I noticed there are mapping options for look Up-Left with head movement, but not for general aiming....

(Not sure where I'm going with this anymore...just providing food for thought)

I know what you mean about cluttering your system.But if you want to play Arma with controller I cant stress enough how good xpadder is-and I think it is only a few MBs-about 8?

It means you can map dozens of keys to one controller by switching through schems-you can also download templates of schemes people have made.Check youtube for arma 3 xpadder tutorials.

• Like 1

Like ineptaphid, I use 3rd party software that really opens up the possibilities for the controller.

I use the Xbox as a main and have the keyboard for less used functions and various mod keys but I had carpal tunnel issues with a mouse and keyboard many years ago and can't use them for most movement.

In my case, I use pinnacle profiler and love it.

Takes awhile to set up exactly but once I got it set I backed up the .pin config and never have to reconfigure even during a reformat.

If you can't get it how you want it it may be worth looking at one of these programs

• Like 2

I use Pinnacle as well, and I love it!

http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com

It's a bit of a learning curve, and takes some time to set up everything you want, but it's super customizable and powerful software. It's fantastic.

For example, I got tired of picking shrapnel out of my arse from accidental button bumps with grenades. So I set up the software so you need to HOLD the L Bumper and then HOLD the R Bumper for 2 seconds to throw a grenade. It prevents accidents, and simulates having to grab the grenade and pull the pin to throw it.

That's just one example of what you can do. Tapping the L Trigger raises/lowers weapon. But HOLDING the L Trigger makes you look down the Sights/Scope. It's great. You can expect to spend the whole weekend setting it up and learning it, but its worth it. You can adjust your sensitivity as well I believe too. You can mix and match Pinnacle with the Game settings for unlimited options and setup. Two big thumbs up. And it's under $10 I think now.

• Like 2

I use Xpadder and it's a dream come true. I have this really great profile I can pretty much do anything with. I still use the keyboard for commanding AI and some other lesser used features, but everything else you can pretty much imagine I can do with this thing.

If you have Xpadder and want a profile I can definitely send it to you. I would have given up on Arma ages ago if I hadn't. Like Cosmic, my wrists are far too sensitive to be bent over a keyboard several hours per night. There's nothing better than just kicking back and playing this game on my TV from the couch.

• Like 1

OK fellas, thanks a bunch.

I'll check it out once I find my controller again...(I recently moved house and think i left it with one of my friends)

I'm using a PlayStaion 4 Controller and the lookaround-action (right stick, like the mouse function) is much, much to slow. I feel like a old man. I'm choosen the fastest option for that.

I dont get it people keep asking to have the sensitivity on the "custom" controller settings to be the same as the built in mapping of the controller and after al these years BI still hasn´t fixed it and i´m not Downloading a 3rd party software that doesn´t even use the diagonal movement of the sticks. This should´ve been fixed before the 1.70 version of the game but no and searching for an answer leads to the same stupid answers get a 3rd party software.

I´ll go experiment but if it can´t get any faster than 10km-h instead of 45 on a normal mouse this game is OVER for me

I know you do not want to download 3rd aprty software..But Xpadder is fantastic! I have over 3000hours in arma now-all played on controller. Every control is mapped, i can switch profiles with one button for different situations-vehicles, infantry etc. Works great with my xbone controller.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

I know you do not want to download 3rd aprty software..But Xpadder is fantastic! I have over 3000hours in arma now-all played on controller. Every control is mapped, i can switch profiles with one button for different situations-vehicles, infantry etc. Works great with my xbone controller.

can you post a video of playing infantry with controller ?

Since a update for a while the ps4 controller works fine.

But it would be better if the speed of the mouse and the speed of the gamepad would seperately adjustable.

And a "hold more than x seconds"-function to bring another function on the same button.

E.G. tab the button for reload and hold the same button more than 1.4s for check the ammo in the mag (ACE3 function).

This would be great...

:down:

On 6/20/2017 at 3:14 PM, Muecke said:

can you post a video of playing infantry with controller ?

I suppose so. What do you want to see exactly?

41 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

I suppose so. What do you want to see exactly?

Just would like to see how smooth can you go.

On 6/20/2017 at 10:10 AM, ineptaphid said:

Me too. I have over 2000 hours, all with a controller thanks to Xpadder. I can do just about everything imaginable (infantry, vehicles, helicopter flying, advanced stances, and on and on). The only thing I still use a K+M for is giving AI unit commands.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Me too. I have over 2000 hours, all with a controller thanks to Xpadder. I can do just about everything imaginable (infantry, vehicles, helicopter flying, advanced stances, and on and on). The only thing I still use a K+M for is giving AI unit commands.

I use controller for commands. Some of the more complex and less often used ones I do use keyboard for, such as scan horizon, or pick up item etc. But for normal stuff like stances, regroup, hold fire I use controller.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

I use controller for commands. Some of the more complex and less often used ones I do use keyboard for, such as scan horizon, or pick up item etc. But for normal stuff like stances, regroup, hold fire I use controller.

You have AI commands bound to the controller? Like regroup, move, etc? You know what I mean, like either ~ for commanding the entire group, and Fkey for individuals? Basic commands like that?

I'd like to know how you did this, if so.

I just stumbled across this problem today as well, but I didn't want to use xpadder or anything similar.

In case anybody else landed here on search for a solution, here's one, wich doesn't require a third party tool:

In Arma Joysticks/Joypads share the sensitivity. So the more Joysticks you have ever "registered" within Arma the more the sensitivity will be split/ devided (these joysticks don't even have to be connected at the same time for this to take effect) - In my case the xbox controller was once connected as "xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows", once as "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows" and a third time as "wireless controller".

So how to get rid of those and get back a decent sensitivity?

Step 1:  In Arma3 go to your Joystick Settings and have a look, how your controller in use is called (Pay attention to upper cases!)

Step 2: Close A3 and go to your "Users\YourUserName\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\YourProfileName" folder on your HardDisk.

Step 3: Open up the file "YourProfileName.Arma3Profile" with a textedit tool like notepad  and search for the entries that look like this:

class JoysticksList
{
    class Joystick1
    {
        guid="94B7BEA0-D902-11E5-8007-444553540000";
        name="controller (xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows)";
        offset=256;
        isXInput=1;
        sensitivity[]={-0.67232567,-0.68231922,-0.69231319,-0.68231922,-0.69231319,0,0,0,-0.67232567,-0.68231922,-0.69231319,-0.68231922,-0.69231319,0,0,0};
        deadZone[]={0.1404295,0.1404295,0.14242834,0.14142887,0.1404295,0,0,0};
        steepness[]={1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1};
        mode="Custom";
        analogClickHigh=0.40000001;
        analogClickLow=0.2;
    };
    class Joystick2
    {
        guid="7B71C660-E3F7-11E6-8001-444553540000";
        name="Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)";
        offset=512;
        isXInput=1;
        sensitivity[]={-0.022711933,-0.052693725,-0.69231319,0.66687834,0.68686593,0,0,0,-0.022711933,-0.052693725,-0.69231319,0.66687834,0.68686593,0,0,0};
        deadZone[]={0.1404295,0.1404295,0.14242834,0.14142887,0.1404295,0,0,0};
        steepness[]={1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1};
        mode="Custom";
        analogClickHigh=0.40000001;
        analogClickLow=0.2;
    };
};

Step 4: Remove all the Joystick classes that you won't use - (keep that one with the "name" that you have kept in mind from your A3 settingsscreen).
It seems as if the entry "offset" is progressing in steps of "256" ( =>256,512,768,1024,etc.) - I'm not sure if this is important but I adjusted it after removing joystick classes inbetween just in case.

Step 5: Save and close "YourProfileName.Arma3Profile", Restart A3 and enjoy the higher sensitivity.