@Gemeni, thanks for your comments and answers on bugs and suggestions! Below are my thoughts and input on some of the subjects.

ACE_morphine error

The ACE_morphine error only popped up near a fairly large town to the NE (I don't recall the name) and it only happened once. I'm still using ACE but it's a custom install that I use with many modules, including ACE medical, removed. It's possible that it's related to the removal of ACE medical but I use the same custom install in other missions and campaigns and I've never encountered the same error before.

Mission compression

I understand the convenience of pbo versions and it's not particularly hard to de-pbo a mission but I really do appreciate the option of downloading either version.

Missing NVGs

Could this be related to the fact that I'm using ACE but with the NVG module removed? I checked my inventory very carefully and couldn't find any NVGs.

Rest

Thank you for adding a rest duration option. That will be very useful! Also, while fraught with danger, an option to rest while in the field would also be a welcome option.

Porting to other nationalities

I perfectly understand your decision on this. However, I'm thankful that you've made the mission easily customizable. I'm no mission maker and though I'm familiar (vaguely) with factions and classnames, I really wouldn't know where to begin but it's nice to have the option. Hopefully others with more time and knowledge on the subject will take a shot at it.

Combat support

I haven't requested any support yet while on a mission but it's great to know that it could possibly be available depending on the number of enemies encountered.

AI transportation

That would be a sweet option! My drivers usually damage the wheels on their vehicles before they can ever get out of the base, requiring me to get them repaired. I've even went so far as to go back to the motor pool and bring a vehicle out just to scavenge the wheels off of it to repair the ones that the AI has damaged.

A map related bug report

I don't know if it has anything to do with the mission or if it's just an A3 bug but sometimes when I'm in the base, the labels for all of the facilities inside the base sometimes don't show up on the map. I've mostly remembered the layout but sometimes I forget where certain things are. Fortunately, I can add my own map markers as a workaround.

What do I do with weapons caches and individuals or items captured in the field?

I may have missed some information in the documentation but here are some other thoughts and questions. While on the patrol mission, I stopped in a village that we were passing by because we received enemy fire from it. While sweeping the village I came across a weapons cache next to a vehicle with an unarmed civilian standing by it. I loaded the cache into one of my vehicles and destroyed the truck found next to the cache. Will I be penalized for destroying the truck? The civilian was unarmed and had nothing of incriminating on his person but under questioning he told me that I was "bad" and should leave. Considering his presence by the cache and his unwillingness to cooperate, I arrested him (was that reasonable?) and transported him and the weapons cache back to base. I had to save and quit at that point but I'm wondering what to do with the prisoner and the weapons cache. I'm guessing that I take the prisoner to the jail but what do I do with the weapons cache? Also, is there any benefit to collecting enemy weapons captured in the field? I know that I would then have them available for personal use in later operations but are there any bonuses for collecting weapons and somehow turning them in? If not, that would be a cool feature.

@HeroesandvillainsOS, AI units switching to their pistols when they should be using their rifles is an old Arma bug that has existed since Arma 2. It might not have anything to do with them having the wrong ammo. I get around this frustrating AI behaviour by checking their inventory and removing their pistols or putting them in their backpacks if they have them.

• Like 1

Hey I love the combat support! I think I was confused before thinking I could request it on my own. I didn't realize that we'd get a notification on-screen telling us it was available. Nice choice! I like that! Though I blew myself to pieces. Lol. I didn't realize I had to click on the map when accepting the support where I wanted the artillery to fall. :)

I've gotta say, this is a tough mission man. I'm not complaining or asking you to change anything. Just saying it's going to be hard for me to offer any additional feedback until I actually successfully accomplish an objective. :)

I can confirm the player seems to have the correct ammo for their weapon now. But I did see another instance of an AI equipping his pistol instead of his rifle. I think is was a light rifleman guy? I mean I certainly could remove his pistol to avoid this as suggested but I've never had to do that in Arma before. I'm not implying this isn't an Arma bug, I'm just saying if it is a vanilla problem it's new to me.

• Like 2

It's a fairly old bug that I occasionally encountered in A2 as well. I did a quick search but since the search function for the forum doesn't work properly at the moment, I had to resort to Google. Even if the search function worked properly, it would still be difficult to find information in the forum because you can't search for short terms such as "AI". Below are a number of links to discussions where the problem is mentioned. Some say it's mostly a problem when using mods and that may be true because I almost always play with some mods enabled. I've mostly encountered the problem with snipers and machine gunners but it can happen with all of them.  I don't recall if I've ever experienced the problem in vanilla though.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/5/864974467643609246/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/4/810938082489488399/

• Like 1

Yes I noticed that too, sometimes the AI is switching to secondary weapon. It seems to mainly happens when the unit has a sniper rifle or a machine gun.

• Like 1

@scimitar

Missing NVGs & ACE_morphine error

OK so if you are using some ACE features, that's the reason of your troubles. My ACE detection script is currently only based on ACE_main.pbo. I will update this for the next update, so you won't be annoyed anymore by this, even if you are using only a few ACE features.

Option to rest while in the field

You can already do this if you have a sleeping bag or a tent into the inventory (there should be a few of them in the uniform box, in the armoury.

Also, I didn't mention that before, but for sure the resting function doesn't allow to skip time when playing in MP (in this case, it only helps to reduce fatigue and stamina).

HQ markers that are disapearing

Markers inside the HQ only appears if you zoom in. And so, they are disapearing if you zoom out. I made it this way to make it more readable when watching the whole map.

What to do with weapons caches and individuals or items captured in the field

It's in my plan to add more information about some features, I know it's not always so easy to understand what to do.

You can destroy weapon caches you find to increase your reputation and to earn some credits (you can also fore sure keeping these weapons for your own use). You don't have to care about the truck, it's only there for the ambiance.

Suspects has to be bringed to the jail to perform the same thing. But be aware that arresting an innocent civilian has the opposite effect. To know if a civilian is guilty, check his inventory. If he has one ore some suspicious items (weapon, trigger, binoculars, compass, radio...) you could get your own idea. Otherwise, you may consider that he's maybe innocent, like in reality.

Anyway, these features are still work in progress, I'm thinking about making them more various, useful and interesting.

• Like 2

It's in my plan, but I don't know when I will be able to release other versions. Or you can also try to make it by yourself: all essential objects/units/markers for OPEX are listed in "essential" folders in the editor.

Thanks Gemini. I didn't realize that there were sleeping bags and tents in the armory. While resting in the field, do events continue to happen around us? I wouldn't want to get killed while asleep.

As for the HQ markers, the labels sometimes don't show up even when I zoom in. I suppose it could be related to some other mod that I have loaded but as I mentioned before, it's easy enough to add my own markers to the map so it's not a big problem.

As for the weapons caches, I didn't realize that they had to be destroyed to get credit for them. I suppose that I could remove any gear that I might want to use and then destroy the cache. I'll also have to take a closer look at what items the AI civilians are carrying. Mostly I've only looked to see if they were carrying weapons but I hadn't paid any attention to see if they had personal military gear such as radios and compasses. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Yes, fore sure events continue to happen while sleeping, so be sure you are in a safety place before resting !

• Like 2

Hey Gemini, 

First off I love this mission and single player and now I'm trying to host it on a dedicated server. Sadly when I launch the mission I recieve the following error in the Arma 3 Dedicated Server console.

22:12:25 Mission OPEX read from bank.
22:12:26 Roles assigned.
22:12:26 Reading mission ...
22:12:26 mpmissions\__cur_mp.fata\mission.sqm/Mission/Entities/Item0/Entities/Item10/Entities/Item2/Entities/Item0.type: Vehicle class R3F_APSO_OFFICIER no longer exists

Any solution?

20 hours ago, 22ndmeu said:

Hey Gemini, 

First off I love this mission and single player and now I'm trying to host it on a dedicated server. Sadly when I launch the mission I recieve the following error in the Arma 3 Dedicated Server console.

22:12:25 Mission OPEX read from bank.
22:12:26 Roles assigned.
22:12:26 Reading mission ...
22:12:26 mpmissions\__cur_mp.fata\mission.sqm/Mission/Entities/Item0/Entities/Item10/Entities/Item2/Entities/Item0.type: Vehicle class R3F_APSO_OFFICIER no longer exists

Any solution?

Hi 22ndmeu,

Do you confirm you have installed and activated R3F units on your server ?

Ok I loaded this on my Dedi Server and have to say I really like the idea of "Needs" (food, water and Sleep) mixed with Mission Task game play.  

Suggestion: Put some Hidden Heli Pads in Base so AI don't land on top of the Prison.

Still figuring things out but great so far!

Update:

Have you noticed on Dedi Server when you rejoin server Officer is missing? And Game can not continue due to missing in Editor Error.

Update 2:

Did you test this on a Dedi Server? Because there are NO Enemies at Mission Points?

Vengeance

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:11 AM, Gemini said:

Task "03" - Secure village (HeroesandvillainsOS): to complete this task, you have fore sure to neutralize every enemy into the area but also to check every building (means that you need to physically enter into each building). I suggest to add a cross marker on every building you have cleaned. This task could be more or less tedious (it depends on the village size) but OPEX has been built to be as much realistic as possible (for better and for worse).

Gemini, I'm encountering serious difficulties in completing this task as well. The village I'm trying to clear is located in an area surrounded by many other villages. I've cleared all of the buildings in the area within the red circle on the map and I've swept the area several times but enemies keep coming in from areas outside the designated area. I've been venturing into the surrounding villages trying to thin out the number of enemies in the area but the resistance is stiff and new enemies keep appearing in the designated area. It's gotten to the point that I'm considering going back to HQ and coming back with armor and a lot of explosives to try and level the area, consequences be damned! Perhaps this task could be considered completed if the enemies in the designated area are below a certain number or outside of a smaller radius?

I also have another question concerning time acceleration. I placed the mission in my single player missions folder because I would rather play using regular SP than play a SP LAN session using the mission in the MP missions folder. I do this because I occasionally like to use the player initiated time acceleration to speed things along when traveling by foot or when the AI is being too slow in completing tasks that they've been given. The game plays and saves fine when the mission is in the SP folder but the option to change the SetTimeMultiplier to "1" or any other value doesn't work because apparently the "initServer.sqf" isn't initialized when playing a regular SP mission. I looked through several of the other sqf files in the mission folder but I can't find an option anywhere else to change the multiplier. Is it even possible to change the multiplier any other way?

I also have one other suggestion to make concerning ambience. The HQ could use a little life. Would you consider adding some AI characters wandering around inside HQ and possibly manning the checkpoints just to give the appearance that the base is manned and operational? Attendants at the jail, the medical area and some of the other facility locations would add a good bit of atmosphere.

• Like 2

Thank you guys for these new feedbacks.

@vengeance1

Helipads in base: smart suggestion, I'll add this into the next update.

Officer missing when joining a game hosted on a dedicated server: ok I found the problem, it will be fixed too

No enemies at mission points: I'm not sure I understand this point. It's a feature of OPEX: in order to be as much unpredictable as possible, you may sometimes don't encounter anybody.

@scimitar

Task 03 "Secure village": I modified the way to suceed this task in 1.02 update. Now, it randomly spawns 3 triggers inside the village radius. So just make sure you have visited the whole area to complete the task.

Time acceleration: initServer.sqf is running even when playing in SP (as the server is player's computer) so there shouldn't be any problem with that feature. Anyway, as announced previously, I will adjust it into the next update and I'll check again that it's working properly in SP & MP.

AI ambiance units in base: in fact, they were present at the origin but I removed them to optimize performances. But the last official ArmA update introduced a feature that should help to save ressources when players are far from the AI, so I think I could positively answer to this request on the next update.

I'm currently working on all of this, I hope I could release the next update in a couple of days. Stay tuned !

• Like 3

Great!  Looking forward to trying it again on Dedi Server:

I would also note that the random Patrol Mission was off the visible Map, this made it impossible to complete as Black Way-points don't show up off the map.

Keep updating this is going to be a very fun mission!

Vengeance

• Like 1

Hi guys !

Here is the 1.03 update for OPEX !

Changelog:

• Fixed: main officer should not disappear anymore when joining a game hosted on a dedicated server
  • Fixed: rare ACE relative error in case player is using a custom version of ACE mod
  • Fixed: introFinished error when joining a game hosted on a dedicated server
  • Fixed: tasks should not be created anymore outside map area
  • Fixed: a few other minor things
  • Updated: time multiplier has been slow down so now it is 6 when playing in MP (means 24 hours in-game is equal to 4 hours in real life) and 3 in SP (means 24 hours in-game is equal to 8 hours in real life)
  • Updated: now player can select the rest duration (note that time could still not be skipped when playing in MP)
  • Added: invisible helipads in the HQ to help AI pilots landing
  • Added: portable tent can now be used as a mobile respawn point by team leaders when playing in MP (limited to one per game to avoid filling map)
  • Added: AI ambiance in main base
  • Added: dedication boards to thank OPEX contributors ;)
  • Added: BI's simulation manager module to improve global performances
  • Changed: air transport is now illimited and available from the start when playing in SP
  • Changed: intro & outro musics

I also made a minor update of Gemini's items addon.

As you can see, I tried to fix last major bugs you have reported. Now, even if it's certainly not perfect yet, everything should goes better (even when playing on a dedicated server). I also tried, as always, to take into consideration all your feedbacks.

I hope you'll enjoy this new version and I wish you all a happy new year ! :smile_o:

• Like 3

Awesome change log! So helicopter transport is always available now? Even if I'm stranded out in the AO because I stupidly got my ride blown up?

That's perfect and exactly what I was looking for. Sorry for the dumb question, but let's say I'm a few KM away from base and need a ride back. How do I request transport? 0-0 radio commands? Then click on the map where I want them to land? Then click on the map again at base to get them to RTB?

Sorry, I've really only ever used ALiVE transport so I'm unfamiliar with the game's built in mechanics.

• Like 1

Yes, air transport is now illimited and available from everywhere (only if you are playing in SP because I think it would be less interesting in MP). How it works exactly:

1. Make sure the area is secure
  2. Call transport via support radio menu (code 0-8-1)
  3. Wait for the confirmation
  4. The map will be automatically open - click on the position you want the chopper to land
  5. Wait for it
  6. (optional) Before it starts to land, you can throw a colored smoke grenade to guide it more precisely
  7. Get in it
  8. The map will be automatically open again - click on the position you want to go
  9. Get out when you have reached your destination
  10. The chopper will leave the area by its own when every cargo units will be out

A few more information:

• You can use only 1 transport at the same time
  • You may have to wait a few moments to call a new transport (after you used it or if it has been destroyed)

That's awesome. Thanks man. I'm back on the mission making train, but I'll be hopping back onto OPEX really soon. The transport thing was bugging me TBH because I suck so bad and get stranded so I REALLY appreciate the update.

Keep an open mind about MP AI transport though. I can't imagine it would suck less to be stranded in middle of nowhere and have to walk back to base just because you're in COOP mode. I mean I guess you could go about adding a "cool down" so people can't use it immediately over and over if that's your concern, unless of course you expect MP'ers to have a dedicated human pilot.

I mean I really only play SP these days so it won't impact me, but I'm just putting it out there that if you can find a method you like for MP transport that seems fun and fair, other players might appreciate it.

Anyway, thanks a million. This mission is incredible and that change log is gold! :) 

• Like 2

Thanks for the update, time to get it back on the Server.

Vengeance

UPDATE:  JIP works great with Officer.  I did notice that after Respawn to Tent I lost my "Needs" but after exiting game and joining again it came back.

Question: When you De-Mobilize your team shouldn't you get a refund?

Edited by vengeance1
Update
  • Like 1

Gemini, thanks for the update. The fixes and new features sound excellent. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try it out over the next few days. 

Thank you again for all your precious feedbacks, guys.

Here is already a small 1.04 update to fix some bugs you have reported. Here is the changelog:

• Fixed: emergency support (0-0-1) should now initialize properly
  • Fixed: primary needs action is now remaining when player respawns
  • Fixed: a few other minor things
  • Updated: demobilizing AI units is now allowing to get a refund
  • Updated: shout function has been removed from friendly units (useless)
  • Updated: assigned french voices to all friendly units (they have an accent but it fits better than english voices)

Gemini-

Thank you for your hard work and updates on this.  The base is really "alive" now.  Question - am I limited to the number of team numbers and their type?  I was only able to recruit a team when I really wanted a squad, and had enough points to purchase them.  What am I doing wrong?

I took my little team in a vehicle on a patrol, and while I was struggling to get the AI driver to actually drive and follow my commands (not your problem of course!) we got surrounded.  It got rather hot until a friendly squad appeared almost out of nowhere (the vegetation was thick) and rescued us.   Not that I minded that, but real world I would have been informed if friendlies were operating in the area.  Perhaps something you might be able to include in the mission selection/briefing.

Thanks again for a great mission.

• Like 1