Sign in to follow this  
kremator

Chain link fences are NOT cover !

Configs and model properties govern how every other system in the game interacts with objects, I can't see why they shouldn't govern valid cover as well.

I would have thought it better for the cpu to be able to read something off a model or config rather than calculate it dynamically every time an AI needs to evaluate their surroundings.  Going the route of more dynamic calculations means more processing, adding to the burden the cpu has to do already.   (imo ofc)

Configs and model properties govern how every other system in the game interacts with objects, I can't see why they shouldn't govern valid cover as well.

I would have thought it better for the cpu to be able to read something off a model or config rather than calculate it dynamically every time an AI needs to evaluate their surroundings.  Going the route of more dynamic calculations means more processing, adding to the burden the cpu has to do already.   (imo ofc)

I meant that since the dynamic algorithm is already working pretty well even without any configs, why make things more complicated. Although you might be right if it could be used to definitely exclude certain objects to make the calculations less demanding. 

Just as a point of interest, I don't know if you remember back in early A2, but AI used to evaluate cover more and then when they released PMC addon, they changed the cover routine to something more lightweight (which I think is unchanged since then).  IIRC, they were spending too much time looking and not enough time moving & firing etc.

It must be quite hard to come up with an algorithm that gets detailed enough results, but isn't too taxing in urban (heavily built up) areas.

PMC gets alot of flack for being a poor campaign but thats when something special happened to the AI's pathfinding in intricate areas so to me it'll always have a little magic.

It's not easy to change this. They would have to rework systems that have been in place since OFP. I am sure if they could change it, they would. They have basic understanding and logic too

This is one of the cases that I wouldn't mind the AI running through these fences if it meant that they wouldn't use them for cover!  It just looks stupid.

@kremator: that seems like over kill. even more immersion breaking.

i'm wondering now, since they use streetlamps pretty well, what LOD is considered. since it seems too accurate to be just using the bounding box (just a guess and interpretation of what i see) it might be the GEO lod or even the FIRE lod. last one kind of makes sense in terms of being safe® from bullets but VIEW lod would make most sense because it covers concealment too and should be logical in most cases. or can someone come up with a scenario/object type where VIEW lod doesn't make sense?

would be great to get some dev feedback on this to at least understand the issue better.

It's not easy to change this. They would have to rework systems that have been in place since OFP. I am sure if they could change it, they would. They have basic understanding and logic too

what source is that statement based on?

• Like 1

what source is that statement based on?

Good question as AI started taking cover in A2 when microAI was introduced. OFP and armed assault never had that feature as far as I know or noticed.

Yes BB I agree that running through chain fences may be even more game breaking, however seeing stupid AI standing in a hail of bullets behind a chain fence is pretty bad.  Using VIEW_LOD I hope would be an option, but I'm not expert (in any way!)