six_ten

Best way to combine multiple sections of large model?

I've followed the discussions about combining sections to create walkable large models -- what I'd like here is some advice on the best way to simply combine 4 or so sections of a large model so when I add it to my terrain it works as one.  I have a large fortress, its more than 50 m in each direction from its center point. I think I have to break it into 4 quadrants then somehow add them all in TB -- whats the best way to keep them aligned precisely?

yR4wU7nl.jpg

Currently the entire fortress is a single model.

I see a lot of Castille de San Marcos here.  Are you using the multi shader material?  I'm not experienced enough in making structures to give you advice as far as your original question.  I made my own bastions but they're no where near complete like yours. 

If I may I would recommend you make a courtyard with a drainage well leading out to sea or somewhere like in Hornblower.  This could be a game play mechanic for entering the fortress.

I see a lot of Castille de San Marcos here.  Are you using the multi shader material?  I'm not experienced enough in making structures to give you advice as far as your original question.  I made my own bastions but they're no where near complete like yours. 

If I may I would recommend you make a courtyard with a drainage well leading out to sea or somewhere like in Hornblower.  This could be a game play mechanic for entering the fortress.

It is the Castillo de San Marcos (Ft. St. Mark when it was under British control 1763 - 1783.)  From the courtyard to the outworks, even the terrain it is a close to exact scale model, so any changes will be those to make it more like the actual fortress.  As for getting in, code a climbing rope or portable ladders :)  Bring your ideas to the Black Powder thread over in the WIP mods section of the forum.

This thread though asks, how do I combine several models as one in game, as guys do with large ships and the like?

Well with the Persephone I used proxies, but now with the new poly limit I don't need to break it up in proxies.  I'm not sure how they did it with the LHD though.

• Like 1

For large terrain objects I create the entire object, and then slice it up - before texturing ofc.

With large objects you not only have the GeometryLOD limitations(50m from centre pin) to consider,. more importantly you have the Roadway LOD limit's to consider.  iirc RoadwayLOD limit is approx 37m from centre pin.

I define snap-points in the memory LOD - Using vert's that line up with 2-4 points on the next model.

After importing them into TB you just hit the magnet when your placing them and they will align perfectly - provided the verts in the selections match up.

Quick n dirty example pic on how model snap-points are defined -> http://imageshack.com/a/img924/839/IwIotn.jpg

Impressive fort btw, I was creating one in a similar style.  Good to see other people attempting such structures :)

• Like 2

For large terrain objects I create the entire object, and then slice it up - before texturing ofc.

With large objects you not only have the GeometryLOD limitations(50m from centre pin) to consider,. more importantly you have the Roadway LOD limit's to consider.  iirc RoadwayLOD limit is approx 37m from centre pin.

I define snap-points in the memory LOD - Using vert's that line up with 2-4 points on the next model.

After importing them into TB you just hit the magnet when your placing them and they will align perfectly - provided the verts in the selections match up.

Quick n dirty example pic on how model snap-points are defined -> http://imageshack.com/a/img924/839/IwIotn.jpg

Impressive fort btw, I was creating one in a similar style.  Good to see other people attempting such structures :)

Thanks for this -- I'll try it this way and post my results.

• Like 1