Just one suggestion (if that wasn't already suggested) - would it be possible to have the falloff of the contamination level be switchable from linear to exponential? That way one could do, for example, a strong radioactive point sources without making the entire area a killzone

I saw this topic earlier today so I thought I'd find some stuff I had been messing around with before with an idea similar to this - I tried something exponential but the effect falls off quite quickly (outside of the 'inner zone'):

h = [] spawn {
	private _origin = getPos player;
	private _innerRadius = 5^2;
	private _outerRadius = 25^2;

// second number is distance to half intensity from previous value 
	private _constant = -(0.69315 / 5);
	private _fnc_round = {
		round ((_this select 0) * (10 ^ (_this select 1))) / (10 ^ (_this select 1))
	};

while {true} do {
		_distance = player distanceSQR _origin;
		_radiation = 1;

if (_distance > _innerRadius) then {
			_radiation = 1 * exp (_constant * sqrt (_distance - _innerRadius));
		};

_radiation = [_radiation max 0 min 1, 2] call _fnc_round;

_damage = _radiation call {
			if (_this > 0.7) exitWith {1/30};
			if (_this > 0.3) exitWith {1/90};
			if (_this > 0) exitWith {1/150};
		};

hintSilent format [
			"Distance from centre: %1\nRadiation: %2\nDamage: %3%4",
			sqrt _distance ,
			_radiation, _damage * 100 * 0.1, "%"
		];

sleep 0.1;
	};
};

Also, the 'radiation' extends beyond the 'outer zone' (can fix with some minor adjustments, mind).

You could maybe do something like the following:

h = [] spawn {
	_origin = getPos player;
	private _innerRadiusSQR = 5^2;
	private _outerRadiusSQR = 25^2;

while {true} do {
		_radiation = linearConversion [_innerRadiusSQR, _outerRadiusSQR, player distanceSQR _origin, 1, 0, true];

_damage = _radiation call {
			if (_this > 0.7) exitWith {1/30};
			if (_this > 0.3) exitWith {1/90};
			if (_this > 0) exitWith {1/150};
		};

hintSilent format [
			"Distance from centre: %1\nRadiation: %2\nDamage: %3%4",
			sqrt (player distanceSQR _origin) ,
			_radiation, _damage * 100 * 0.1, "%"
		];

sleep 0.1;
	};
};

The 'radiation' is based on distance from origin and doesn't take into account players previous radiation. Damage also takes into account the players radiation.

Anyways, this is just my two cents, might help op with deciding which method is preferable

Anyways, this is just my two cents, might help op with deciding which method is preferable

My thoughts are to just add user input for an area to allow for detectable distance from origin and deadly distance from the origin. But right now everything is based on using the "inArea" command and the damage system is relatively related and completely seperate all the same in the sense of if you don't meet "safety requirements" damage is applied to you over time until you are dead or until you meet those requirements.

I'm not sure if allowing that user input would at least curb your needs or at least closely mirror them, but with the current setup of all the functions and such I would have to make a lot of changes/allowances to accomadate something like that. Or at least that's what I'm thinking right now, that could change...

• Like 2

Just discovered this - this looks soooo cool. If you guys need a bug tester or anything that doesn't involve modelling or coding, I'd be glad to help. Also, nice work on the detector.

• Like 1

Can't believe I didn't find this sooner. I have wanted NBC scenarios for such a long time and lo and behold someone is developing a mod for it!

Really great work, especially with defining the gear needed.

I cannot wait for this to be released! I got some missions in the works that are specifically waiting for this mod haha 

• Like 1

Just started reading this so may already been answered but with this be compatible with ace and there CS gas ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just started reading this so may already been answered but with this be compatible with ace and there CS gas ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Compatible with ACE's medical system, not their CS gas, I could look into that though :).

Again, sorry for the lack of any updates recently college hit me loke a train as of late, been busy to no end.

• Like 2

Compatible with ACE's medical system, not their CS gas, I could look into that though :).

Again, sorry for the lack of any updates recently college hit me loke a train as of late, been busy to no end.

Should post your school work. We are thirsty for this! Could probably get all the work for the year done by these nerds :p

• Like 2

Should post your school work. We are thirsty for this! Could probably get all the work for the year done by these nerds :P

HAHAHA...that's right mate!!!!!

This is really looking good. Is there a public beta download at the moment or its still at SkunkWorks?

This is really looking good. Is there a public beta download at the moment or its still at SkunkWorks?

Still private alpha, at this point with my RL schedule being a bitch, I may release a public beta missing a few features that I would like, but that way you all can go about making your mission ideas without waiting on my schedule to clear up.

• Like 4

Any news about this project and the public beta release? Can't wait to test this out with my community.

Nope, still been too busy to sit down and look at it all, this week is really my first week nothing "big" is happening, but we'll see if I can do anything for this mod, no promises.

• Like 2

Nope, still been too busy to sit down and look at it all, this week is really my first week nothing "big" is happening, but we'll see if I can do anything for this mod, no promises.

No worries, take your time! I'll keep an eye to this thread anyways, been waiting for something like this.

hey jshock, hope you can get this over the line sometime soon....I can see a marriage made in contaminated heaven....https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/197728-mr-skellingtons-cbrn-defense-units/#entry3117205 

Looks like a possibility for sure, will see, as you can tell I was busier than expected this week...and now it's crunch time leading to finals...so....

Yea man..take care of you RL matters first......

...but not forget about us :D  :D  :P

Is this mod still alive? It showed great promise and I'd LOVE to get my hands on it! I have several missions planned that need it.

Thanks

Not particularly, but that's because I've been up to my ears in real life dealings ever since I got out for the semester. I'm not entirely sure when I can get back to this and I apologize for that. Only reason I can/know to respond here is because I get email notifications and respond from my phone :).

• Like 1

not trying to nag, but is this mod still alive? i'd even take an incomplete version at this point lol. this was by far the most complete chemical weapons mod for arma since ace2 CS gas

Thanks

I've been able to work on it a bit here in the past weeks, but got busy again here recently. I will attempt to release a workable version soon, maybe the next few weeks?

It will be missing a few features listed as "done" due to them needing a complete rehaul.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jshock said:

I've been able to work on it a bit here in the past weeks, but got busy again here recently. I will attempt to release a workable version soon, maybe the next few weeks?

It will be missing a few features listed as "done" due to them needing a complete rehaul.

It's great to hear that you're back to modding :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ltf said:

It's great to hear that you're back to modding :)

It's been a minute hasn't it :thumb_down:

Anywho......

To give you an idea of what has been done/will be done since I have come back from my hiatus:

~Different sound when within the hot zone, that sound plays faster when in close range of originating contam object
~JSHK_contam_dummyObject ("the aha moment": used to hold all the necessary information about the areas, allows for extreme expansion on what this mod can accomplish down the road)
    -The whole four layered marker perimeter system has been completely done away with
~Separate modules for detector settings, debug, mask settings, and the global settings (other gear, damage etc.)
~Remove contam and safe area modules (with sister functions), you can now name the areas and use that reference to delete them on the fly
~Handle teamswitch for singleplayer
~User defined cold/hot/object zone detection radius
~Mask breathing speed based on stamina of player, optional setting
~PVEH for function execution (only approved functions)
~Made whole detector movable
~Scaled detector size down by a factor of 1.25
~With the help of the dummy object, you can now, through each Contam Area module, define the "MOPP Level" that is required for that area
    -No Gear
    -MOPP 1: Mask Only
    -MOPP 2: Mask and Uniform
    -MOPP 3: Mask, Uniform, and Vest
I'm aware that there is a MOPP 4....butttttttt limitations of Arma......

I'm trying to get most everything area creation/deletion, information updates/sharing to be done completely on the server for multiplayer purposes.

Currently disabled until I can rework them into the new system and create a way to cleanly bring into focus as you come into the area and take out gradually as you leave the area are the environmental effects and color filters.
    -I may enable these filters when the "make the whole map contaminated" feature is enabled until I can get it working the way I want
Currently reworking the damage system handling to allow for user input on rate of damage (for those Vanilla players out there) and time to death (when using ACE).
I have attempted to start working on Zeus implementation....I haven't hit a roadbloack per se...but I have to learn a lot on the fly looking at BIS stuff along with other folks addons to see how they accomplished it, so that will still take quite a bit of time until I can get the time to get the hang of it.

90% my issue with this whole thing is a mixture of completionist (when it comes to getting every possible thought and idea into it) and semi-perfectionism that slows me down to a crawl, right as I finish something I think of a better way to do it and/or think of something else that needs to be done before I'm ready for it to go out. At this point I think I've kept you all so far on the back-burner that it's time to get something out there, so hopefully I can pull through for you all....

Shock Out.

--Another side note, as far as my own gear and such....I've got to figure some of that stuff out still as well, however, if you have not come across it yet I highly recommend you look into this mod for all your gear needs until I can get my shit together (or maybe I find a way to team up with them, I don't know we'll have to see).

• Like 3

Just came across this for the first time

Great concept and it looks like your doing great work

Defo gonna follow this thread and can't wait to see a release :)

Well, this makes things just that much more interesting:

I will be looking into this in the future.