silentghoust

"Assault Copter' The Mi-28 and Mi-24.

Regarding helos - angel24marin is right, it's either troops transport or attacking runs, Mi-24 can't do both at the same time.

Regarding recon squads - if we are talking about squads of a regular brigade's recon battalion, than I don't think it's much different in structure to a regular motorized squad. Here's an approximate structure:

- Squad's commander - AK-74M / sergeant

- Senior scout (i.e. assistant squad commander and a fireteam leader) - VSS / yefreitor

- Scout - AK-74M / private

- Scout - AK-74M / private

- Scout Sapper - AK-74M plus mine detector / private

- Scout Machine-gunner - PKP / private

- Scout Sniper - SVD-S / private

- Driver - GAZ "Tigr" / private

In addition to their personal weapons these guys also carry bunch of radios (R-168 family), one portable laser rangefinder (LPR-2) and one portable thermal imager (TPN-1) plus they can be augmented by personnel and equipment from the other specialized units of the battalion, for example a portable ground radar (like PSNR-8M) and its crew from a technical reconnaissance company.

1. VSS is not part of a standard TOE. Effective range is too low, ammo is too rare and expensive, requires too much training to use. SVD is used.

2. Your forgot RPG and GP underbarrel GL.

3. SVDS is used with airborne troops exclusively. Weighs more - no point unless absolutely necessary.

4. Application of the high tech stuff you mentioned vary from strictly mil show to "once in a life time". But you forgot thermal and image enhancing scopes - elite troops have them in numbers.

I based my post on data from the well known (and now defunct) "Ryadovoy-K" forum. About your points on VSS, RPG and elite troops - please note that the subject is a standard reconnaissance squad (of a reconnaissance battalion of a regular motorized infantry brigade), not motorized infantry squad nor spetsnaz group. Here is link with soldiers of a regular brigade being issued AS "Val" and SVD-S rifles. Also I wouldn't call R-168 or LRP-2 "high tech".

I based my post on data from the well known (and now defunct) "Ryadovoy-K" forum. About your points on VSS, RPG and elite troops - please note that the subject is a standard reconnaissance squad (of a reconnaissance battalion of a regular motorized infantry brigade), not motorized infantry squad nor spetsnaz group. Here is link with soldiers of a regular brigade being issued AS "Val" and SVD-S rifles. Also I wouldn't call R-168 or LRP-2 "high tech".

1. 20th OMSBR is not quite a run of the mill unit.

2. I'm talking exactly about regular TOE not a once in a life time event. Even modern Russian SpecOps use another weapon as a part of standard TOE.

3. VSS is not suitable for a DM or sniper role. It was constructed up to very special requirements that it brilliantly fulfills. But they are way far from the regular army sniper role. So here come low VSS production numbers, ammo cost and its meager annual production as well.

Okay-this thread is really derailing from its initial purpose-making a mission using hinds...Can we get back on topic please?

• Like 1

current export designation Mi-35

Mi-35 is entirely different helicopter which has the same universal role as Mi-24 
its like saying F-35 is export designation for F-117  

4 hours ago, kibaBG said:

Mi-35 is entirely different helicopter which has the same universal role as Mi-24 
its like saying F-35 is export designation for F-117

Is it really? Well, this appears to be of great importance to you since you dug up this nearly six year old thread, perhaps then you could also enlighten us with some factual material. Because wiki for example, states:

Mi-35

(Monsoon) The export version of the Mi-24V

• Like 1