Sign in to follow this  
Goro

AI: Too powerful, too weak or well-balanced?

AI: Too powerful, too weak or well-balanced?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Is the AI in Arma 3 too powerful or too weak?

• AI are complete snipers! Iron sights over 500m through grass and 3 walls!
    • Vanila AI are well-balanced.
    • The AI in Arma 3 are way too easy to kill.
  2. 2. What makes good Arma 3 AI?

• Proper settings
    • Modifications

As the title says. Rate the definition of AI. Feel free to comment your thoughts.

This poll doesn't say much, it all depends on what AI skill level in your own or server config as well as skill level in mission.

/KC

• Like 1

This doesn't really make sense, and you won't be getting any proper data from that poll for anything.

The awnsers are too simplistic and don't really make sense "Proper settings" What does this even mean? 

The quality AI is a tad too complicated to just give a one sentence awnser for. As it does really well in some areas such as long range shooting, but is utter crap at CQC. Similarly the effect of various AI mods come into play that people use, of which there is like 5-6ish(?)

They are pretty good these days. 

We use some dispersion tweaks to make them less "iron sight sniper" at longer distances in our mod-pack. The low-skill syndakit units are too accurate IMO at stock and we find that with our tweaks, things are still balanced enough to be challenging. 

I do enjoy using ASR when we play Unsung though. The AI move and flank better and respond to sound in much more intelligent ways. Part of me wonders why the stock AI isn't closer to what some of these mods are doing. I see little downside in our mission play throughs. Having AI that you can't count on to sit still is another dimension of gameplay. 

The only thing that can be an issue is AI vacating a target area early by responding to distant gunfire. 

Yes the poll is useless. My main concern about AI precision currently is their ability to spot you in visually super complex situations, e.g. they look down a hill to direction of a city and spot you if you walk along a window inside a building in like 300m distance...

Tactically the AI are pretty dumb in the way they move etc, BUT they've got eyes like hawks and will plug you as soon as they see you, so in that respect they're dangerous puppies.

The only way to thwart them is to put hard cover between you and them like buildings, rocks, treetrunks, walls, ridgelines and gullies etc because they haven't got x-ray vision and can't kill you if they can't see you.

Regarding bushes, I usually find that if you kneel or go prone behind one, AI won't spot you when they arrive on the scene later, but if they see you running behind a bush they'll usually shoot you through the leaves.

Taking cover in a gully at Anzio. If they can't see you...

Anzio-gully_zpsjxrndxar.jpg~original