Tex-Twil

What FPS should I expect on a GTX 1070 + i5 6600K ?

Hi,

I have this the config and I was expecting a higher FPS. I see a lot of youtube videos that have around 80 FPS on and I'm getting something closer to 50 FPS on high settings 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card 
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP ATX LGA1151 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666

Here is a video I recorded

Here is someone else video with the same card with much higher FPS

I just wanted to know if this is a expected FPS or if I have something wrong in my Arma3 configuration.

Thanks for your help,

Tex

The server you play on, the mods and scripts it runs will have a huge impact on your framerate, so it's a difficult question to answer.

I use Nvidia GeForce Experience as Arma is a supported game, let it do your settings and see how you get on, tweak if required.

• Like 1

You have wrong motherboard for that CPU.

The server you play on, the mods and scripts it runs will have a huge impact on your framerate, so it's a difficult question to answer.

I use Nvidia GeForce Experience as Arma is a supported game, let it do your settings and see how you get on, tweak if required.

I played that offline. I will try the nvidia experience

You have wrong motherboard for that CPU.

Can you please elaborate ?

Don't think there are anything wrong with your system, 50 FPS is pretty good for your CPU.

If you wan't to bump your FPS there are only few things you can do.

1: Overclock your CPU, higher clock = higher FPS since A3 is mostly CPU bound.

2: Have as fast RAM as possible but your at 2666 MHz is OK.

3: An SSD to speed up loading times (does not really increase FPS)

/KC

All of the above points are correct-also the one graphic option that impacts FPS the most is your view distance-dont go crazy with it.

Also-in your video you are in a helicopter. That can often give lower fps than when on the ground as there is a lot more terrain visible to render and you are moving much more quickly.

The only worthwhile way to compare FPS is using a benchmark mission that emulates AI heavy gameplay, such as YAAB (and using the same resolution and graphics settings). 

I recommend low latency, high speed RAM. In my experience it made a big difference :

Intel I7 6700k @ 4.2GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2133 CL15 Default ->  YAAB 41 FPS
Intel I7 6700k @ 4.5GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200 CL14 XMP  ->  YAAB 50 FPS

Can you please elaborate ?

If you are buying an overclockable K series i7 CPU, you should buy a Z170 based motherboard. See http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2099-intel-chipset-comparison-z170-h170-h110

• Like 2

The only worthwhile way to compare FPS is using a benchmark mission that emulates AI heavy gameplay, such as YAAB (and using the same resolution and graphics settings). 

I recommend low latency, high speed RAM. In my experience it made a big difference :

Intel I7 6700k @ 4.2GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 2133 CL15 Default ->  YAAB 41 FPS

Intel I7 6700k @ 4.5GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200 CL14 XMP  ->  YAAB 50 FPS

If you are buying an overclockable K series i7 CPU, you should buy a Z170 based motherboard. See http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2099-intel-chipset-comparison-z170-h170-h110

I see.  I have a i5 but I think it applies as well. I will try to replace my MB then against a Z170 (I still can return it) and OC it

I'll do some proper benchmarks with the missions you linked and come back with the results.

Thanks for the help

50 fps with your setup is perfect. Just disable v-sync if you want to record a video with a 80fps, w/probable screen tearing. 

you can check to see if you're running fxaa vs smaa etc. - smaa supposedly a bit of a hog? 

I think 'Ultra' settings across the board is totally unattainable with max fps online.  Does a true 'Ultra' setting video even exist?   I'd like to see a hostile helicopter insertion with 8 online players + 10,000 view distance +   50 AI in a major city/port + All 'Ultra" settings video. That's what I'd consider "Ultra"

Its all about finding that sweet spot - 50-60 fps with expected drops with action is totally fantastical imo. 

I think just about anyone can disable v-sync and get 80fps offline against 5 AI in an open field

another vid to look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbMPDQtb5vI

ok so I changed my Motherboard to a Asus Z170 Gaming and overclocked the i5 6600K to 4.6Ghz and the FPS is now better. I still have some FPS hickups especially when zooming but I guess this would be off topic.

• Like 2

ok so I changed my Motherboard to a Asus Z170 Gaming and overclocked the i5 6600K to 4.6Ghz and the FPS is now better. I still have some FPS hickups especially when zooming but I guess this would be off topic.

Now you have right setup ;)

I have the same setup as yours. I hope you have a good cooler and that you check your CPU and motherboard temperatures in order to prevent overheating.

See this video to improve performance if you're note happy with it: