Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Ports Closed on Dedicated Server?

I'm running a dedicated that seems to have all the ports closed despite configuring my router and Windows Server's firewall. I'm running Server 2012and my router is an Asus RT-AC87U.

I'm accessing the server using the remote desktop and probing the ports using PortForward. The only ports I've noticed are open are ones used by the desktop PC that's connected via Ethernet.

I've tried disabling both firewalls and running a DMZ on the servers IP to no avail. I've ran PortForward as admin. I can host from the desktop without a problem. Although the UPNP is troublesome as it tells me that sometimes Port forwarding failed.

Any suggestions?

OK, I've found this is a router related issue.  It seems there's some kind of issue with the router activating the settings I input via its GUI.  I think the firmware is bugged.  Tonight I tried the DMZ zone again and every port opened up.  I deactivated the DMZ and the ports closed as expected.  But when I reactivated the DMZ still the ports were closed?  This is proof the router has an issue.  A reboot maybe required every time I change the settings for the setting to embed in the memory.  

I wasted hours trying to resolve this issue only to find it's a firmware issue with the router.  I've been using Merlin's WRT firmware to date, but I sense I may be reverting back to Asus' stock given the issues I've had.

*** Update ***

Removing the USB drive and doing a factory reset has now resolved this issue.

Hello i am using the same router as you and am facing the same issues where after portforwarding, the ports are still closed.

I have tried doing a factory reset, but it is still not working. What USB drive did you remove?

my router is running the official 3.0.0.4.380_3459 firmware if it helps.

Hello i am using the same router as you and am facing the same issues where after portforwarding, the ports are still closed.

I have tried doing a factory reset, but it is still not working. What USB drive did you remove?

my router is running the official 3.0.0.4.380_3459 firmware if it helps.

I resolved my issue by refreshing Windows.  Or at least that's what I believe sorted things  I'm not sure the port checkers I was using were giving me accurate reports.  I know port 21 is open but port checkers report it as closed.  I'm still using Merlin's 380.61  Even though port checkers report some of my ports as being closed they're actually open and  I can host now without issues.  I disconnected a 3TB Seagate USB ext HDD drive I had connected to the from USB port as it's suppose to sometimes give you issues when updating the firmware.

Merlin says that port checking can be "hit and miss".  Are you having issues with players unable to connect?   

I resolved my issue by refreshing Windows.  Or at least that's what I believe sorted things  I'm not sure the port checkers I was using were giving me accurate reports.  I know port 21 is open but port checkers report it as closed.  I'm still using Merlin's 380.61  Even though port checkers report some of my ports as being closed they're actually open and  I can host now without issues.  I disconnected a 3TB Seagate USB ext HDD drive I had connected to the from USB port as it's suppose to sometimes give you issues when updating the firmware.

Merlin says that port checking can be "hit and miss".  Are you having issues with players unable to connect?   

Yes that's right. My isp is telling me that because my IP is a private dynamic IP,therefore portforwarding is not working.  i have to pay extra to get a fixed public ipv4 address, but im not too well versed in these sort of things, so im not sure how accurate that is.

I am having issues with players connecting, and on steam, under view game info, it just says server not responding.

What did you mean by refreshing windows? you did a clean reinstall?

Yes that's right. My isp is telling me that because my IP is a private dynamic IP,therefore portforwarding is not working.  i have to pay extra to get a fixed public ipv4 address, but im not too well versed in these sort of things, so im not sure how accurate that is.

I am having issues with players connecting, and on steam, under view game info, it just says server not responding.

What did you mean by refreshing windows? you did a clean reinstall?

Refreshing Windows is just an option W8.1 offers where it re-installs Windows fresh, but keeps your documents and personal settings.  If you refresh you'll have to just reinstall the program files again.  The old program files are kept in the windows.old folder of the root.