Sign in to follow this  
dragon01

Using fixed wing aircraft in a mission

I've looked through YouTube tutorials and found nothing on the topic, so I'd like to ask here. How to make fixed wing aircraft "work" in a mission? By that I mean:

1. Proper taxiing.

2. Takeoffs and landings.

3. "On cue" (say, a trigger being tripped) aircraft flyby.

4. Airplanes as supports (CAS).

5. Reliably getting them to attack a target with a specific weapon.

6. Reliable formation flying (if it's possible, of course).

The usual methods involving waypoints weren't very good for most of these, so I suspect there are some scripting tricks involved. I'd be really grateful if someone with experience with aircraft AI could help me out.

Wow. I have never thought that ArmA features something like this. Actually, that explains a lot about how they did certain very complex movements such as the helo in the penultimate mission of the East Wind. It does a really neat, realistic landing approach complete with a flare on landing, something AI doesn't seem to be capable on its own. I always wondered just how did they script it. Well, now I know. This is gonna be really handy for whenever complex, scripted movement patterns are called for.

Anyone? Is unitCapture really the only way to have an AI-controlled fixed wing aircraft take off properly? 

Hi Folks,

Will unit capture also record the release of any munitions - such as a bombing run - or is this strictly flight path ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottb613, when you set up your recording, you can use the optional arguments to enable the use of firing. https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_UnitCapturehas the full function line. The example they provide is

[bIS_Vehicle, 50, 30, true, 10] spawn BIS_fnc_UnitCapture;

Which would capture data from a unit named BIS_Vehicle, would capture for 50 seconds, would capture at 30 FPS,
            and would also record the unit's weapon fire data as well. Frame time offset would be 10 seconds.

Ahh - thanks furcas - let me give that a try...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Airplanes as support, you could do a script that adds that, maybe having a Radio trigger and when the radio trigger is activated the plane would fly to the player's location and start attacking nearby hostiles, with certain weapons that would be fairly difficult. Again you could use a radio trigger that goes 0-0-1 (Air Support all weapons) 0-0-2 (Air Support Missiles only) 0-0-3 (Air Support Gatling only), etc. Aircraft also seem to automatically bomb things marked by laser. Formation flying would only work with AttachTo and even that wouldn't work too well. To get a plane to a location without going "skits" and freaking out, put in it's init: this allowFleeing 0;
Edit:
To do the Air support with certain weapons you would need to remove the weapons that you don't want used from the aircraft.

To clarify, "Airplanes as Supports" point was referring specifically to the "Support Provider" module. I'd like to set up a plane at an airbase which could be requested by the player using the normal support request procedure. I don't think unitCapture would work in that case.

I suppose formation flying and tight control over weapons will have to go. Well, this isn't a big problem anyway.