infiltrator_2k

Arcade Realism Settings?

Why do people host with the much hated fatigue enabled, but then allow 3rd person and things like the weapon cursor and enemy tags enabled? It kind of seems a little dumb to hinder a player's stamina for realism when there's arcade settings enabled.

• Like 2

You mean the arcade stamina enabled that doesn't please casuals and it's too arcade for any kind of realism?

Probably just easier not to disable it.

Tbh I don't really get what's with all the hate for the stamina system. For me it works quite good and I think it's better than before.

• Like 3

Tbh I don't really get what's with all the hate for the stamina system. For me it works quite good and I think it's better than before.

I've got no issue with the fatigue system, but it's just a little wacky to have it enabled when everything else is arcade. Third-person is as good as cheating IMO. It gives players a huge advantage over the Ai and you can't get more arcadey than third-person. It makes flying and landing choppers childplay too.

But I am admittedly a realism fan, so I won't have that much good to say about any setting that's arcade. With that said, ShackTacs hud is a nice compromise.

I've got no issue with the fatigue system, but it's just a little wacky to have it enabled when everything else is arcade. Third-person is as good as cheating IMO. It gives players a huge advantage over the Ai and you can't get more arcadey than third-person. It makes flying and landing choppers childplay too.

But I am admittedly a realism fan, so I won't have that much good to say about any setting that's arcade. With that said, ShackTacs hud is a nice compromise.

Two servers:

1) "Realism" settings and 2/60 players

2) Regular/"Arcade" settings and 58/60 players

which server would you want to play on

• Like 1

Because different people like different playstyles, that is sorta the whole arma thing. Its about finding a community that suits your needs

But I've spoken with people that enjoy realism gameplay, but with 3rd person enabled and crosshairs, because they felt 1st person gave them motion-sickness. Similarly I could imagine some use the enemy tagging system to combat what they consider an unfair AI.

- Not that I enjoy any of these playstyles, but I think it could be part of the explanation for it. Though I honestly don't get the hatred for the stamina system either.

• Like 1

Two servers:

1) "Realism" settings and 2/60 players

2) Regular/"Arcade" settings and 58/60 players

which server would you want to play on

But doesn't the third person option kind of defeat the point of ultimately gaming with virtual reality in the future?  I don't get why gamers are so desperate to get there hands of an Oculus Rift for an immersive gaming experience when they're content with playing arcade?  It's bizarre.  If you ask me, I think there's the element of having the upper hand that draws people to want to play with third person enabled.  As for the crosshairs...  you might as well play on a Playstation or xBox because it's just arcade to the extreme and total testicals for immersion and realism.

Players on public servers seem to be more concerned about racking up kills and winning rather than enjoying an immersive reality game.  I think I'm going to go down the private server route with my server, because public servers tend to attract too many lone wolfs.  Let's be honest, if players on a public server aren't really using coms to work as a team, it then becomes a game of who can see and kill the enemy first rather than working together to strategically take down the enemy. 

I don't get why gamers are so desperate to get there hands of an Oculus Rift for an immersive gaming experience when they're content with playing arcade?  It's bizarre.

It's bizarre if you assume they're all the same people :)

It's bizarre if you assume they're all the same people :)

I left myself wide open for that one  :P  

May Oculus solve the problems that many people complain about first person in ArmA and so moving from 3 person view. (But that dont solve the disadvantage of 1 vs 3)

I'm sad that there is a big majority of players (and public servers of course should serve their will) who prefer crosshairs and 3rd person camera. First person is just way more difficult, uncertain and intense, due to the limited view.

Players on public servers seem to be more concerned about racking up kills and winning rather than enjoying an immersive reality game.

I'm not, I'm the idiot who plays in 1st person view on 3rd person servers, I try to ignore the disadvantage. But still I wish more people would prefer 1st person so that we see more servers.

• Like 3

I'm sad that there is a big majority of players (and public servers of course should serve their will) who prefer crosshairs and 3rd person camera. First person is just way more difficult, uncertain and intense, due to the limited view.

I'm not, I'm the idiot who plays in 1st person view on 3rd person servers, I try to ignore the disadvantage. But still I wish more people would prefer 1st person so that we see more servers.

So why dont you play on 1st person servers then?

Fly-German.de Has nice server with patrolops mission and 1st person view only. (they have 3 servers but i only played on  one.)  

They also use ACE with Advanced Medical module enabled, wich is nice. 

So why dont you play on 1st person servers then?

Fly-German.de Has nice server with patrolops mission and 1st person view only. (they have 3 servers but i only played on  one.)  

They also use ACE with Advanced Medical module enabled, wich is nice. 

Much less choice. Let's say I just want to play KOTH, I'm in Germany and often can play at early afternoon -> empty servers. 3rd person servers not as empty at all.

Much less choice. Let's say I just want to play KOTH, I'm in Germany and often can play at early afternoon -> empty servers. 3rd person servers not as empty at all.

Early afternoon is bad. Only kids can play, the rest is at work. And kids will offcourse prefer 3rd person and PvP over Good tactical 1.p Coop.

Also what is KOTH? 

Kids and me. Well, I'm at work very early and early at home. Don't play in the evening :(

But hey, mostly I am SP player. KOTH = King of the Hill. Easiest possibility to join some crowded MP for me.

Kinda funny that we all literally sit behind a flat or curved computer screen  TV with a keyboard, mouse and maybe other gadgets, yet complain about "realism". I believe even Airsoft is more REAL than ARMA with the right players. :P

I don't mind the fatigue system and third person addresses one of the biggest issues in any first person game - Field of View. Your eyes sees more than 120 degrees of FOV and it looks completely fisheye on any screen unless you have Ultra WIDE 21:9 ratio screens. Even then you get a cutoff on the vertical resolutions.

So thirdperson gives you a much wider FOV which is closer to reality.

Easiest way to balance is for servers to turn OFF crosshairs, allow 3rd person for FOV and train the user to use ADS to shoot. If you ever shoot in RL, or even airsoft or real, the user knows that in ADS mode, the FOV is more focused and limited. Hence no crosshair and 3rd person switching to first person sorta balances out things on a monitor.

• Like 1

Kinda funny that we all literally sit behind a flat or curved computer screen  TV with a keyboard, mouse and maybe other gadgets, yet complain about "realism". I believe even Airsoft is more REAL than ARMA with the right players.  :P

I don't mind the fatigue system and third person addresses one of the biggest issues in any first person game - Field of View. Your eyes sees more than 120 degrees of FOV and it looks completely fisheye on any screen unless you have Ultra WIDE 21:9 ratio screens. Even then you get a cutoff on the vertical resolutions.

So thirdperson gives you a much wider FOV which is closer to reality.

Easiest way to balance is for servers to turn OFF crosshairs, allow 3rd person for FOV and train the user to use ADS to shoot. If you ever shoot in RL, or even airsoft or real, the user knows that in ADS mode, the FOV is more focused and limited. Hence no crosshair and 3rd person switching to first person sorta balances out things on a monitor.

The advantages 3rd person gives you such as the ability to completely check corners, prone on a rooftop and see an entire town, and check rooms without ever exposing yourself proves 3rd does not give you a FOV close to reality, lol.  You can sit behind any cover, never exposing yourself but have full eyes on the enemy.  Watching any sorta of Arma or Dayz steams and videos using 3rd person clearly shows this.  

After switching to 1st Person I'll never go back.  There was an actual thrill with clearing a corner that I didn't already know was clear. 

I really don't understand why anyone wants to play on PvP servers with 3rd person as these exploits of 3rd person is involved in every gun fight. 

Kinda funny that we all literally sit behind a flat or curved computer screen

This sums the thrill of 1st person up:

Early afternoon is bad. Only kids can play, the rest is at work. And kids will offcourse prefer 3rd person and PvP over Good tactical 1.p Coop.

Also what is KOTH?

Now that's true but not all kids like third person! :P I'm a kid and I personally love the thrill of first person but when I'm in the editor I just use third so I won't get decimated when I just want to see if the AI is doing what I told him to do, When finally finishing the mission I would go on first person and play it.

The advantages 3rd person gives you such as the ability to completely check corners, prone on a rooftop and see an entire town, and check rooms without ever exposing yourself proves 3rd does not give you a FOV close to reality, lol.  You can sit behind any cover, never exposing yourself but have full eyes on the enemy.  Watching any sorta of Arma or Dayz steams and videos using 3rd person clearly shows this.  

After switching to 1st Person I'll never go back.  There was an actual thrill with clearing a corner that I didn't already know was clear. 

I really don't understand why anyone wants to play on PvP servers with 3rd person as these exploits of 3rd person is involved in every gun fight.

I absolutely agree as when playing KoTh hardcore I was holding the Pygros government complex and was constantly peeking out to kill people with my stolen .SPMG until some guy landed on the roof as I was reloading and killed me, if I had third person I would have already seen him and attempt to take him out/get to cover but would have died anyway :P one of the times I played multiplayer is solely on hardcore servers.

Although it's just my opinion as everyone has different play-styles and that's the beauty of Arma! Allowing third and first person is good for the casual guys who want to have fun while first person is for milsim and hardcore guys, I must admit though I never go to third person when flying as I always crash when doing so which is strange, same with jets.

Going third person In vehicles isn't my type but when in tanks I couldn't see anything and got a headache so I just turned out and exposed myself.

My settings are little different from that but I see your point. My FOV is ~100 in first person and more in 3rd person. I must have edited my profile during the beta!

In RL, you have ~ 170 degrees of FOV. Only the things right in front of you is between 90-100. The other 70-80 degrees on either side is missing on your monitor unless you go wider than 16:9 ratio.

The 3rd person view shows much more peripheral vision. A compromise could be to adjust the 3rd person camera to only behind the shoulders a bit while widening the FOV.

Here is a mod that pretty much addresses the issue of 3rd person for first person players:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169730-The-Fourth-Wall

Check it out. I believe it is the best compromise for now for competitive gaming. 

For SP and Coop, it is a totally different story with an average squad of 4 to 8 vs hundreds!

Unfortunately most public arma PvP went down the drain after the DayZ boom.
The arma server config had 3P enabled by default, and the hundreds of new servers popping up run by new server admins not knowing better. Kept the configs at default.

Now all the new players are accustomed to the 3P crutch and it will be impossible to do anything about it.

All the excuses with realistic FOV, awareness, headache etc, don't rectify having a drone camera hovering above your head giving you a birds eye view.

Nobody would have accepted 3d person mode in Squad, Battlefield, CS, or any other PvP game. It would have been the same as cheating.

I thought the player camera should be a rendered object (big pink glowing orb) when outside the players body.