Beketov
Current version: 0.9b, October 2016

cover600.jpg

Type of the landscape: rural
Map size: 20x20 km (400 km^2)
Number of 3d-objects: ~1,5 million
Number of settlements: > 50
Suitable for: individual, squad, platoon or company simulation

Steam subscribe link - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=743968516
Armaholic page link - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=31454
Addons needed: CUP Terrains - Core

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

I. Map description.

Geography.

Beketov district is a part of Uisk region. Beketov urban-type settlement is located 75km away from Uisk and 340 km to the East from the Moscow.

History.

Sobakino village of Uisk province is mentioned in documents since the second half of XVII century. It belonged to Dergunov-Sobakins landlords. In the middle of XIX century, the village became the state-owned property and acquired the status of a district center. In 1935 the village of Sobakino was renamed in Beketov village. It was named after one of the activists of Bolsheviks party. A few of collective farms (kolhozes) were formed right away in that new Beketov district.

Population.

Population — 10255 citizens (according to 2010 population census). Of these, the urban population - 5428 people, villagers — 4827 people. The ethnic composition of population — 95% Russians, 4% Tatars, 1% — else.

Economy.
The economy of the district is mostly formed of agriculture, forestry and service sectors. The largest enterprise — Beketov chapelnik factory which is on the brink of bankruptcy since 1993. There are also operating a few open joint stock companies (OJSC) «Krasnoselskiy elevator», «Studenetsky distillery» and private enterprise of Gevorkyan S. G.

Culture, education and health service.
The cultural objects are represented by «Vperyod!» ("Forward!") cinema theater (Beketov urban-type settlement), the house of culture of Krasnye seltsy village and lots of churches. There are Cathedral In the Name of Entry into Jerusalem (Beketov urban-type settlement), Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God (Krasnye seltsy village), Church of All Saints (Karavayky village) among them. Also, there is a ruined Armanihinsk church there (Armaniha village) and Dergunov-Sobakins farmstead which is preserved to our days.

Educational institutions are represented by 11 schools and 1 professional lyceum. There are 5 libraries, 11 smaller health centers, and Beketov Central Hospital.

II. Authors and gratitude.
Authors: Dead_Kennedy, SenChi (landscape, forest, most of Beketov urban-type settlement).

Gratitudes: The author is grateful to everyone who helped to create the island - 3D-objects artists, technical problems solutions assistants: Mikebart, das Camper, argument, Shelestov, udaloy, Yanot and other good people.

III. Known bugs and shortcomings.

Keep in mind that this is Beta-version and there are a few errors on the map.

- Some of the fences are rising up when destroyed. This bug is there because of there's no way to add a line in geometry lod because the object is in ODOL format. Link to the object: beketov_ob\Pale_Wood2_5.p3d
- Geometry problems with road police post building (vtn_bdg_post_md), postal office building (vtn_bdg_postoffice).
- No moon at night.
- River fords are marked as roads on the map (left as is for the testing purpose).

Shortcomings.

- The necessity to change the color of river water to green-brown.
- On the territory of Beketov urban-type settlement, there are a few large buildings with no local infrastructure.
- The necessity of an airstrip.
- The necessity to darken/lighten parts of satellite map according to heights map.
- The necessity of cemeteries.
- The necessity of electrical infrastructure improvement — adding of tranformator and power lines in some settlements and factories.

Additional 3D-objects needed.

- Standart building of a common village house of culture.
- Standart school building of bricks or concrete panels.
- New administration building with an interior.
- New building of a road police post.
- Tombstones, flower beds and fences for the cemetery.

The author would gladly accept any help in fixing those bugs and shortcomings. Also, I'm looking for a person who would shoot a nice promotional video for the Beketov map.

=============

UPDATE 0.9b CHANGE REPORT

NEW: A penitentiary colony in Dubenki.
NEW: A dairy factory in Beketov.
NEW: Wheeled vehicles speed is now depends on the type of terrain.
NEW: A couple of new school buildings in Beketov.
FIXED: Some geometry issues around Beketov.
FIXED: Some geometry issues in the central industrial area near Kozlovo.
FIXED: Some geometry issues in Limonovo.
FIXED: Many roads around the map.

And some other minor fixes reported by the community.

=========

VERSION 0.89b CHANGE REPORT

FIXED: compatibility with dedicated servers (some missed bisigns added);
FIXED: some minor bugs reported by fingolfin, shurka and others;
FIXED: removed unnecessary dependency of the "CUP Terrains - Maps", only the "CUP Terrains - Core" is enough now.

• Like 39

Thank you, guys!

Please check it out, if you encounter any glitches with the lighting - please let me know here.

• Like 1

A russian map, Finally! Outstanding work mate, this is going to open up a lot of interesting missions! :D

Good job!

I really like the map! It will be a great place for tank battles and mechanized warfare. Since you stated in the first post that you are going to improve the sat mask, maybe you could try to reduce these edges or at least add more tall grass on the roadsides so it isn't visible anymore.

620KYbJ.jpg

Bb6dZTj.jpg

One thing I found in the city of Beketov:

4emuMug.jpg

• Like 2

Howdy. Enjoying the terrain but I have a few things I'd like to say about it. It feels very 'lived in' and homey which I like, and the towns are especially beautiful. I used the steam download version.

I have some critiques I'd like to mention.

1. The colors feel very bland. Other than the houses all you really see is olive drab and light green.
  2. (I know you probably put a lot of time into this one) The fences play hell with AI and make city fighting very very awkward. Especially with only one gated entrance to most of the residences.
  3. The whole map is too quiet, and I think it could use lots of ambient sounds like bird songs in the forest, frogs and birds near the rivers, and infrastructure sounds in the towns.
  4. Like others have noted, some of the masking near roads is also a bit off putting.
  5. Only one of the swamps actually had water.

Other than that I really like the terrain! Not many people have captured the 'lived in' feel like you have!

• Like 1

Thank you, feel free to make a further feedback. Is need to play around the island to form an impression: which locations are gameplay-attractive, and which is need to improve.

Thank you, feel free to make a further feedback. Is need to play around the island to form an impression: which locations are gameplay-attractive, and which is need to improve.

Alright, here it goes:

North-west of Beketov is a strange basin. Is this intentional? And if so, shouldn't it be filled with water or at least be a swamp?

vKc7cPP.jpg

Beketov, near the church:

sekrp1e.jpg

Another problem with a road:

EypW7qY.jpg

A bush on the road:

DrNUiGE.jpg

Regarding bushes: some of the gardens could use some more bushes/trees or at least more interesting/diverse ground textures. One example:

Dd79F6A.jpg

Anyway... I love the map. Great work! :)

One more: in my opinion the riverbanks would also benefit from some more bushes, rocks or tall grass.

uY5RgUW.jpg

Edited by fingolfin
  • Like 2

Looks like a great release. Needs a little polish, but what first release doesn't? I have been awaiting an eastern Europe setting that isn't permanently October like Chernarus, and this seems to be what I have been waiting for. Thank you, it looks beautiful and has a lot of potential for creating scenarios.

• Like 1

Very large coop. And the tree on the left does not have a material.

CFFE8EE506048A8207221AAD3B4B91CC9291270A

Polennitsa has no material.

3E8E86BAA5BB052EEA9CB9791FE91F0181768D11

Thanks for the work, nice new map, recorded a few 'moments' on it:

• Like 4

hey Jeza, whats that for a mod in this vid ?

RHS,Blastcore & JSRSApex

Map is looking really nice, love it, it looks especially great if there is a thick layer of fog, makes the forest even more epic!!!

Awesome terrain, ideal for Russia/Ukraine based scenarios!  :)

I've also indexed the terrain for ALiVE and it's staged in the dev build. For those wanting to use it now, you can grab it from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38551057/index_beketov.7z and follow the instructions at http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Indexing#Test_your_Index to get it to work with your missions.  :lol:

• Like 5