sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod 3.0C - CHARLIE Released !!!

Apologies. I was pointing out the fact the problem AI seems to have finding someone walking around behind them that is 3 feet away that runs into the same bush they just walked through. As the video shows that is on Tanoa, and I thought the units being used are from Unsung as it has the same weaponry and uniforms as Unsung. Since Unsung uses APEX I am curious if there is a fix to making the AI smart enough to realize the person it was trying to shoot just ran into a bush 3 feet away.

Without looking at the video, my experience is that the AI has tunnel vision on Tanoa (and APEX foliage). Usually they can hear you though. If you walk slow and use stealth you can occasionally sneak up on Charlie. If you crash through the woods like a herd of elephants they turn and shoot you...most times. I personally find the AI's habit of turning 180 degrees and snap shooting you at 50 meters far more common, and annoying. 

i guess it must be the clutter more than the trees. razorback doesn't use all the clutter, or as densely on his islands, and i get into some pretty horrendous firefights, with enemies completely encircling us. sometimes the only option is to spam nades in a 60 degree arc, at different depths and then all get up and rush the zone, to break the encirclement. i did it last night with a swedish K, drilling vc literally 3 metres in front of me, as i came around those giant tree boles. razor has modified the tree placement so we now have much wider trunks to traverse / hide behind, and it is working great.

the only nagging doubt i had was that my 20% accuracy setting for the enemy meant i could charge through about 10 enemies shooting each in turn without even a scrape. i guess this was because i was breaking line of sight repeatedly, and jostling their chain of command in quick succession maybe.

I've been using VComAI with the Vietnam missions I've been setting up, and for me, this has greatly improved the experience, at least on Tanoa! I'd recommend giving that a shot.

i should qualify my comments - the AI in my battle were shooting at me, so they could see me, they just were not very accurate so i could run through them.

I've been using VComAI with the Vietnam missions I've been setting up, and for me, this has greatly improved the experience, at least on Tanoa! I'd recommend giving that a shot.

I'll have to check that one out then.

i should qualify my comments - the AI in my battle were shooting at me, so they could see me, they just were not very accurate so i could run through them.

So a setting of about 25% to 30% would probably be a better setting for missions? I've been working on some stuff here and there. I have one I was working on that had an American platoon holding a radio tower site against several platoons of NVA and VC. Problem I ran into with Unsung: Bravo was the AI of the NVA and VC kept getting stuck on terrain spots.

yeah we've been using max skill and low accuracy for 4-5 years now in unsung missions. works great

We're working something out with a team outside UNSUNG for an M35. It's looking good we just have to get the details down :)

Thanks. I really need correct Vietnam-era U.S. Cargo truck for roleplaying purposes.

What's up with the M60 sounds? It sounds so quiet compared to other weapons. Doesn't sound like M60 is supposed to; Loud and badass.

Hey guys ! Awsome release and thanks for you're work !

I have a question about this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIx29fHVRE

How to use the napalm like in the video, would love to know that, sorry if you already answered it.

I tried with some basic editing but can't find the support fitting the nalm strike

Sorry for my bad english, and great work again

ok so take a plane (_CAS name/role) with say 6 or 12 napalm canisters. fly towards your target, speed approx 350km/h and height 300-500m. toggle fire mode to auto.

as you get within 800m of target, turn your nose down 30 degrees, pickle off half your canisters, as you pull your nose back to horizontal. repeat with the other half loadout.

climb and escape using WEP or afterburner.  that will spread the canisters like you see in the movie.

ok so take a plane (_CAS name/role) with say 6 or 12 napalm canisters. fly towards your target, speed approx 350km/h and height 300-500m. toggle fire mode to auto.

as you get within 800m of target, turn your nose down 30 degrees, pickle off half your canisters, as you pull your nose back to horizontal. repeat with the other half loadout.

climb and escape using WEP or afterburner.  that will spread the canisters like you see in the movie.

Thanks for the tip, but i was thinking more about a script or a module. just wanted to make a scene (video) using this effect, but i don't know if it's already in the mod. it would be pretty hard to pilot and film in a same time, any chance i can make ai using this ? I tried with MCC using the unsung Cas planes, but looks like it only drop conventionals bombs; thanks anyway

Thanks for the tip, but i was thinking more about a script or a module. just wanted to make a scene (video) using this effect, but i don't know if it's already in the mod. it would be pretty hard to pilot and film in a same time, any chance i can make ai using this ? I tried with MCC using the unsung Cas planes, but looks like it only drop conventionals bombs; thanks anyway

Guess since I made the vid I'll help you out on this one. The exact way I did it is with an F-105D (CAS) and two units. I aimed for the target and just before I dropped using the mission execute in the pause menu I was able to slow time ( https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/accTime) then after dropping the napalm and zooming away in slow motion, I switched to a civ unit I placed near the drop location and just recorded. The slow motion made the effect last longer and look cooler, but that's all I did.

• Like 3

For those who are looking for ALiVE compatibility here is one of the first ones, its set for early conflict US army, NVA, VC.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=70160615195179230322

Faction Names:
UNSUNG_W: US Army (1ID/173RD LRRP)

UNSUNG_E: NVA (8th Battalion/Dac Cong)

UNSUNG_EV: VC (40th Battalion)

UNSUNG_C: Civilians

to use it place the file in your mission file and in the ALiVE required modules init put

0 = [] spawn { 
    if (isServer) then { 
        waitUntil {!isNil "ALiVE_STATIC_DATA_LOADED"}; 
        call compile (preprocessFileLineNumbers "staticData.sqf"); 
    }; 
};

With how the factions are setup in UNSUNG right now, I will make other formats such as marines and later conflicts which can be substituted. Some known things are the CQB populator draws not from the defined faction mappings but just the faction name in general so it will spawn any units from the faction (eg you may see marines spawn in CQB areas even though the mapping is set for army), and with the VC the faction itself doesnt include naval groups (the VC boats are listed under NVA (UNSUNG_E) so they will not spawn as well as not spawning vehicles as they dont have any under their faction at this point in time. 

• Like 3

the VC boats are listed under NVA (UNSUNG_E) so they will not spawn

in charlie:
	class UNS_PATROL_BOAT_VC: UNS_PATROL_BOAT_NVA
	{
		faction = "UNSUNG_EV";
	class UNS_Zodiac_VC: UNS_Zodiac_NVA
	{
		displayName = "Zodiac RIB (Assault)";
		faction = "UNSUNG_EV";

added for delta - good find!
	class UNS_ASSAULT_BOAT_VC: UNS_ASSAULT_BOAT_NVA
	{
		faction = "UNSUNG_EV";

or is it GROUPS you mean?

• Like 1

Hey guys just created a Unsung Campaign. this is my first campaign and I'm still quite new to making missions.
Its a bit silly, but there's not a hell of alot of single player missions out for unsung, so hopefully someone will find it enjoyable.

The AI has some problems in some of the missions,

Things i hope for for the future are:
Improved chopper Ai (Hard to make a Vietnamese campaign when the can't fly properly).
More AI friendly bases (the ones on Da Krong are a nightmare for Ai).
and hopefully US trucks.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767388096

Required Addons.

CBA:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18767

Unsung 3.0 Charlie:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29948

3den Enhanced editor:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=30461

not sure if you actually need 3den Enhanced but some times things don't work in editor with out it.

3den Enhanced editor:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=30461

not sure if you actually need 3den Enhanced but some times things don't work in editor with out it.

3den Enhanced is only required if you open the mission from editor; once your missions are exported and ready, nobody will need it.

Your SA2 launchers shooting at your M113's. Pretty funny to see  ;)

in charlie:
	class UNS_PATROL_BOAT_VC: UNS_PATROL_BOAT_NVA
	{
		faction = "UNSUNG_EV";
	class UNS_Zodiac_VC: UNS_Zodiac_NVA
	{
		displayName = "Zodiac RIB (Assault)";
		faction = "UNSUNG_EV";

added for delta - good find!
	class UNS_ASSAULT_BOAT_VC: UNS_ASSAULT_BOAT_NVA
	{
		faction = "UNSUNG_EV";

or is it GROUPS you mean?

Oh yea I meant groups :P haha late night post

Guess since I made the vid I'll help you out on this one. The exact way I did it is with an F-105D (CAS) and two units. I aimed for the target and just before I dropped using the mission execute in the pause menu I was able to slow time ( https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/accTime) then after dropping the napalm and zooming away in slow motion, I switched to a civ unit I placed near the drop location and just recorded. The slow motion made the effect last longer and look cooler, but that's all I did.

Great thanks man !!

• Like 1

Oh yea I meant groups :P haha late night post

ok i can look at those

EDIT - found and fixed VC boat group factions

• Like 1

Hi OpenDome,

Thanks so much for sharing - I'm in my laptop at the moment which can't run A3 very well - hopefully I'll get time to take a gander at what you've done this weekend... Looking forward to it and thanks again !!!

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Quick question - do the Hawkeye and Trader aircraft support midair refueling from the USAF mod?