sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod 3.0C - CHARLIE Released !!!

Hi Folks,

A couple of questions if you don't mind and you have a moment...

Spent some time again with "Grunt's" SP missions last night - it appears that many have been updated for Charlie and is that night mission a new one ? Anyway - on more than one I noticed after I played for 15 to 20 minutes - all of a sudden I'm getting dumped back to the load screen for the mission and it freezes - no messages - and I have to kill Arma to get out... While it certainly could be something on my end - it just seems related to the mission since it dumps back to the mission load screen you see at the start of the mission - before freezing... Has anyone else experienced this issue ??? I thought maybe they were timed and I failed - but - it really seems frozen...

I believe this is just a generic Arma question... In one of the missions there is a static machine gun - and - I thought I was getting into man the position - the next thing I know the machine gun is in a bag - I tried everything I could think of - but I couldn't get it out of the bag to deploy it for use... No pressure - my position was being overrun by the NVA and I'm stuffing my weapon in a bag... LOL - what do I do ?

Again "Grunt" nice job on the missions - although I still haven't completed any - it sure is fun trying - the new Tanoa trees seem larger - therefore providing better things to hide behind - so I'm doing better - if I can just stop it from freezing in that load screen... With a name like "Blood Red Sandman" how could it be other than great - very creative naming - I like it... Hope to see more from you !

Has anyone made a hot LZ Air Assault SP mission for Unsung Charlie ?

Just one bit of constructive feedback on Da Krong - if acceptable - the plants that look like Rhododendron - could have their texture toned down a bit - they seem to almost glow in the day and night in comparison to all the other texture used on the map - it's meant only as a respectful suggestion and just my 2 cents - so please take it for what it's worth...

:)

Thanks to all involved with this fantastic project...

Thanks,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you call yourself JSOC, you should demonstrate a little more field sense, and do some research ;)

live up to your name!

I have Unsung installed prior to Apex, we played on it a lot. After new update I didn't check the changelog of unsung, that is why I asked about the issue regarding foliage.

some pics from this weekend's play on the official server

NIGHT21_zpsicnniioo.jpg

night1_zpss0blukqh.jpg

exfil1_zps5h13axmh.jpg

• Like 4

we didn't include anything with the mod. mission-wise it's all going on steam instead.

we didn't include anything with the mod. mission-wise it's all going on steam instead.

ah. thanks then. 

So what's with the armor values? They are really really low one shot from anything and you are down

this is not true on our test server. I have shot VC up to 3 times to put them down, on many occasions.

can you repro this? and explain how you wish it to behave instead?

Yes I can reproduce this.

Started with alive and unsung. Thought maybe alive is causing the problem. Dropped alive and just had unsung as the only mod. Every item, every helmet I have has no armor value. I shot a guy with one of your pistols in the foot 100m away...instant death. Then I shot a vanilla arma soldier in the foot 100m away and nothing happened. IDK what's up but its like a leaf falls on my soldiers or myself I die. Which unfortunately ruins my mission I am making as a PBR boat which requires a little bit of armor you know.

Also did it turned on with reduced damage in the game setting same thing.

Also its obviously the charlie version because of all the nice tanoa assets. Great job btw on the maps.

If I had a choice, I'd choose the vanilla method, you know how hats have an armor value of 0 but helmets have an armor value of anywhere from 2-5. I dont know how you do it in your mod.

Hey Texkaz,

I generally find that 2-3 body shots are needed to ensure a kill, head shots are almost always instant.

The Vietnam era helmets from the 1960's don't really have an armour value like helmets in Arma 3, the old "metal pots" could not stop a bullet especially not an AK round. Think of the helmets from that period like a hard hat on a construction site, they are more to provide protection from the environment (banging your head, debris, etc) rather than from enemy fire. For that reason it was common for Recon units, LLRPS, SOG members to abandon their use while on missions.

Hey its your mod. You put a lot of work into a "piece of art" and gave it to us for free to enjoy. This isn't so much a complaint as in a "is this working as intended" question...but you are saying 2-3 body shots to get a kill. For me its always 1 with a pistol to the leg or foot so it doesn't seem my version is working as intended. I know stuff in Nam wasn't as good as now, but figured say the flak vest should offer some protection more than the webbing. Was wondering how this is all done in Unsung since you dont use the vanilla system of armor penetration. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how the mechanics of this mod works so I can work it into my missions. Maybe I have to lower the accuracy of the AI to compensate, because the group I am apart of are kinda bitchy and not the best at arma and will ditch something if it isn't fun, and I really want UNSUNG to be fun for them because it is fun for me.

shot a vanilla arma soldier in the foot 100m away and nothing happened.

now THAT would be a bug i wouldn't want in my game! if you shoot a guy he should feel it.

as dragon says, none of us have an issue with single pistol kills to the foot when playing with AI.

watch this at 7.23 to see BIG (762x54) rounds not killing on leg and arm shots

the flak vests were there to prevent thorns, minor splinters and scratches, they will NOT stop anything moving at speed, like a bullet, sharp steel or wood shell splinters etc. they were famous for it - people were found dead with wooden splinters puncturing their flak vests frequently.

the ONLY body armour i am aware of that was used in vietnam was for cobra pilots/gunners - they called them the chicken vest, and almost NEVER wore them due to the incredible heat in the cramped cockpit. huey pilots in later models had swinging armor plates that the crew chief and gunner moved into place before take-off.

like dragon says, the helmet is not kevlar. it is thin milled steel, easily dentable, and eminently shootable. the only reason you hear of people surviving hedshots with a helmet is if the bullet was moving slow enough and at such an obtuse angle to be deflected - a rare miracle we do not wish to engineer in the game.

asking for body armour is like asking for helmet mounted nightvision - it just isn't a thing in vietnam era sorry.

i hear ya though, if it isn't working for you then u need to tweak something.

on our dedi box i use a custom skill and accuracy setting (u can set this up in your profile) with enemy accuracy at about 0.2.

that makes for a much more fun experience.

check this vid of a guy spraying at me in A2, then losing his nerve and running away before i knifed the sonofabitch in the eye

(and before people ask, this knife and melee system is i nthe A3 game, i just disabled it til i can get around to rewriting the code, unless a talented programmer wants to help me out!)

• Like 1

btw while I have you hear, where on the excel spreadsheet are the faction names?

For me its always 1 with a pistol to the leg or foot so it doesn't seem my version is working as intended.

Then you've got a problem somewhere.  No armor system I am aware of allows a one-shot kill to the foot.  That sounds like an Arma-2 era issue.  I have seen that first-hand in Arma 2 however in A3 that is no longer the case. 

Recommend you strip your startup of all mods EXCEPT Unsung and CBA and try it again.  This sounds to me like a mod conflict, or an unexpected mod behavior due to some "enhancement" mod out there.  I for one haven't seen this but again I only run "vanilla" Unsung when I play it... Unsung and CBA...

YMMV and "some assembly required" however in Unsung I have never seen a one-foot-kill situation.

Alright, thanks guys. I figured out how to adapt it my group's playstyle. Lower accuracy. Had pumped up at like .70 so no wonder it was a shit show. With vanilla armor its desirable but not with the low armor of Unsung, which I agree is realistic and desirable in a mod that simulates warfare in the 1960/70s.

Now another problem are choppers. Chopper AI behaviour seems to be a bit broken. I know how to do a simple helicopter insertion/extraction in eden. I've done it millions of times. First thing I learned in the editor. Problem is the choppers go way high in altitude, like 1000m even if I put flyinheight command. Switch to vanilla or even RHS and it works as intended. So I isolated the problem.

you and 200 others, get in line, or maybe, just maybe read the previous thread... then you won't be surprised by all the known-about issues to come.

this might help

BUG REPORTING / ISSUE TRACKING

CLASSNAMES

http://www.armanam.eu/forum/index.php?board=16.0

FORUM

- official bug reporting and discussions about issues

http://www.armanam.eu/forum/index.php?board=8.0

ARMA 2

- useful for historical development, and also seeing stuff that we haven't ported in yet, that is planned.

2.6 release thread (a2)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/171627-the-unsung-vietnam-war-mod-v26-released/

2.6 WIP thread (a2)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/158347-the-unsung-vietnam-war-mod-v-26-release/

ARMA 3

- the bravo thread is the most relevant to see what issues people have had and have either solved or had explained

3.0a release thread (a3)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/186586-the-unsung-vietnam-war-mod-v30-alpha-released/

3.0b release thread (a3)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191070-the-unsung-vietnam-war-mod-30b-bravo-released/

3.0 WIP thread (a3)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/176893-the-unsung-vietnam-mod-30-wip-thread/

• Like 2

Not according to here:

IMPORTANT NOTES : THIS VERSION REQUIRES THE TANOA / APEX  DLC TO GET 100% OUT OF THIS RELEASE.

If you do not have this DLC Our Islands may Show little or no Foliage or objects. You also may not be able to connect to MP servers running Charlie Version.

• Like 1