This project has the aim of creating a Tanoan Armed Forces faction for the new APEX expansion. The idea is to make this faction independent, similar to the AAF, and to make it seem somewhat capable of standing up to the Rebel forces, NATO and CSAT. 

Due to my little experience in modding, this will be primarily based off retextures, but if anyone feels like they want to get involved and has any prior modelling/config/texturing experience then please, PM me for a chat.

I'll post some screenshots when I have something to show. 

Regards,

Mullan

They have to be horizon islands armed forces, Tanoa is part of a bigger nation :)

Ah right, my bad but thanks for the correction :)

First WIP screenshots of the camo pattern, I'm not overly sure on how effective it is, if someone could give me feedback that would be great :)

590DBDBDFCB4D69202BFC6751A61B9DF66183EF7B526A8C7524A9C2CD3DD922EC9DB5506E2D3D9D2

Camo seems interesting, looks abit bright though. I would suggest you base the camo on the flora of the islands. By that i mean the greens of the trees/jungle etc, perhaps some dark greens in the colour palate would be good.

Alright, I'll try to incorporate more greens and olives, i thought the white might make a more effective colour as well because too many dark colours actually stands out more than blends in.

Made another attempt at the camo and here is the new version: 

Looking good but i would suggest switching brown with green because at the moment it seems that brown is the dominant part of the Camo, but i think most of Tanoa is green, even most ground surfaces.

• Like 1

The green in my opinion still looks too light.

The green in my opinion still looks too light.

I would say that too, but the Camo has clearly an Artstyle thats really working for it, it looks really like a camo pattern for a army thats not that highly funded and maybe has to rely on old pattern.

Of course well funded Armies would use a pattern with much smaller Dots or maybe even Digital or ATACS Style but for a small Army that pattern really going well.

Thanks for the feedback! 

Unfortunately, due to this being a one man project, it will be on hold till I get back from Holiday in 3 weeks time. Once I get back, the real work will start

This project has the aim of creating a Tanoan Armed Forces faction for the new APEX expansion. The idea is to make this faction independent, similar to the AAF, and to make it seem somewhat capable of standing up to the Rebel forces, NATO and CSAT. 

Due to my little experience in modding, this will be primarily based off retextures, but if anyone feels like they want to get involved and has any prior modelling/config/texturing experience then please, PM me for a chat.

Some food for thought: if you're going to lean on retextures, I imagine that Apex assets (i.e. gear, vehicles, weapons, etc.) aren't off-limits? I'm imagining a mix of some of Apex's introduced assets with vanilla AAF and maybe even some of the 'guerrilla' assets...

That isn't actually a bad shout. I think I will give that a go. 

However, I'm unsure as to how I can unpack EPO files as I haven't seen anyone do it so far. And to get the APEX stuff I kinda need to be able to crack them :)

If I had a team modeller, by no means would I be sticking to retextures but I'm incapable of 3D modelling unfortunately.

However, I'm unsure as to how I can unpack EPO files as I haven't seen anyone do it so far. And to get the APEX stuff I kinda need to be able to crack them :)

If I had a team modeller, by no means would I be sticking to retextures but I'm incapable of 3D modelling unfortunately.

Good news on the retextures front at least: "Pre-Apex DLC have had livery templates published in Arma 3 Samples. We plan to do the same for Apex content." From what I understand their use of EBOs replaces the pre-Steam practice of using the FADE DRM for the first months after release, but if Apex follows in the path of the previous Arma 3 DLCs then you'll eventually have PBOs instead of EBOs; in the meantime you can await said templates in a future Arma 3 Samples update.

I'd suggest retexturing AAF vehicles to start, then perhaps including some guerrilla faction stuff (I'm particularly thinking of the Offroads and Syndikat's MB 4WD and RHIB, maybe even the civilian Motorboat) and if you still perceive gaps in the Horizon Islands Armed Forces' vehicles you can try filling them with ported Arma 2/OA vehicles.

I would suggest that you don't try to unpack the EBOs as that would be breaking the BIS EULA and the Forum rules. Wait until the templates are released in the future as chortles has said.