DBlack

Tanoa Models or Textures are Popping/Flickering

Hello,

I've been experiencing a new, very intrusive bug, glitch, or problem (on my end) and I was hoping that someone could possibly either help me or relate to the issue. If nothing else, perhaps I can document this experience for the community, Bohemia, or the developers of the mods used where I'm seeing this major issue occur. The problem is solely with ARMA 3: Apex assets, particularly environmental (trees/foliage and, less-frequently as it seems, buildings and objects).

The Problem/Glitch/Bug:

Although I've been playing on a modded server, as I'll explain further below, the issue at hand is isolated to the ARMA 3: Apex terrain Tanoa and other ARMA 3/ARMA:3: Apex assets. I'll do my best to explain what's happening for me.

On foot, while driving, while parachuting, or while flying aircraft, there's a worrying amount of texture popping at a rapid pace at random locations from medium-to-long ranges. These pop-ins don't seem to have any correlation with my view distance settings nor have the smoothness of the view distance cutoff that I'm used to in my 3000 hours or so of ARMA 3 gameplay. The biggest perpetrator of these pop-ins are trees and foliage, though I do think I've noticed objects or buildings do it more occasionally that I'd like.

Since things like this can be hard to visualize and I'm probably not doing the best job explaining it, I've made a short video to visualize exactly what I'm talking about. Please note that, even though this could just very well be from me getting used to it or it being more obvious in certain situations, areas, or with different visibility, I feel like the problem could be worse at times and better at others -- I even often felt, before posting here, that the video may not do "justice" to the severity of the issue.

YouTube video for clarification (Apologies for Teamspeak in the background, used Shadowplay - mild language)

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAYQfFg1c_I]

0:00 - Walking
00:35 - Parchuting
2:29 - Helicopter Flight

More Information (Experience, Server, Mods, Other Players' Experiences, etc.):

To be completely honest, I've only been playing ARMA on one server or in one way the past few days and this is the first (possibly only) place I've noticed it, on an Exile server titled "GOAT Exile Tanoa No.1|Scripts|Missions|Active Admins|Events". This server is running the mods Exile, CBA, Extended Base Mod (Exile), CUP Units, CUP Weapons, and CUP Vehicles.

For the record, the server is an EU server and I'm in the U.S. I have a decent internet connection but obviously there's a ping gap and desync (which doesn't affect my gameplay). I thought perhaps I should mention that in-case connection could have anything to do with my problem. With that said, before I began playing on this server, I was mostly playing on EU Exile servers (only on Tanoa for a bit before finding GOAT) and CCG Wasteland (EU - Only on Tanoa). I played on CCG Wasteland enough that I feel like I would've noticed anything even remotely like this issue but, alas, I haven't -- I even mostly fly helicopters on CCG Wasteland (EU - Tanoa) and I feel like that's where this problem would be most noticeable. 

I'm sure if anyone were to try to pinpoint the problem at this point, they'd probably say that it's the server I'm playing on or the mods that are in use. However, I've repeatedly asked the four friends I've played on this server extensively with over the past few days and they've all acted completely oblivious to any idea of what I was talking about. Showing my friend, who I've played with on this server the most, the video I linked above was a surprise for him and he reported that he hadn't seen anything like it. I've asked in chat at least two or three times and was either met with a couple of responses from people who weren't having the issue or by silence -- so it's hard to say if anyone else is experiencing this problem and just not vocal about it.

I've tried to find anyone with similar issues but only came across these two Reddit threads which may or may not be the same issue or related:

Bug Reproduction:

I have gone into the new Eden editor, both with no mods loaded and with all of the mods the server is using, and flown around with the Eden editor camera and not noticed anything like this. I've also placed a helicopter and not noticed the same issue. 

I admit that I haven't done much to try to reproduce this bug/glitch/problem, since it's relatively new to me and I assumed that it was either common or a known bug that'd be fixed by Bohemia, the mod creators, or server owners.

This is making me wonder if the issue has to do with the server or the added objects/players/AI (bases, loot, and missions...or perhaps a mod asset that I haven't placed in editor that has a compatibility issue). With that said, I'd assume other players on the server would be complaining, my friends that I play with (two of which are typically critical, more casual ARMA players) would've said something, or players on the server would be complaining.

I've played on many, many modded  servers in my time playing ARMA 3. Aside from Breaking Point, Milsim, other various older multiplayer mods, etc., I've played a ton of various Exile servers with varying mods, settings, and scripts in use and never seen anything like this. Again, however, my Tanoa gameplay has consisted of: Exile, Breaking Point, CCG Wasteland, Co-op campaign, Editor + messing around, and Steam Workshop missions. I've never experienced anything like this in any of those and only started on this Exile server a few days ago.

Steps Taken to Attempt to Fix:

Steam: Verifiy Integrity of Game Cache
Verified all mods used by the particular server I've been playing via A3 Launcher.
Checked GPU temperature

System Specs:

CPU: i5-4670K (not over-clocked, cooled by Corsair H-105)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)
RAM: 16GB g.Skill Trident X
SSD 1: Samsung 850 EVO (250GB)
SSD 2: Samsung 850 PRO (512GB) - I don't think any mods are loading from this SSD but noted just in-case
Mobo: Gigabyte Z87-DS3H

Graphics Driver is up-to-date. Version: 368.81 (7/14/2016)

Thank you for any and all help, it's greatly appreciated. Even if you have an idea of what the cause could be or anything I may be able to try to fix this from happening, I'd be grateful to hear it!

If you need any more or other information, please let me know!

I am having the same issue after a reformat and change to Windows 10....though before that, our unit had only been playing with a stripped down modpack due to testing (ACRE and CBA only)....and only on Tanoa using vanilla assets. I'm guessing it has something to do with mods, but if you're getting it without....then....

Nothing to link with mods. This happens in Vanilla as well. The more objects in editor, the more glitches in landscape.

It would seem that this issue isn't limited to any one thing as I'm getting it as well..

My setup is a bog-standard G20AJ with 

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz 56 °C

Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM

12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G20AJ (SOCKET 1150) 112 °C

Graphics

HDIT22A (1680x1050@60Hz)

Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 40 °C

ForceWare version: 368.81

SLI Disabled

Storage

931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA) 40 °C

29GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade USB Device (USB)

Optical Drives

MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8G6

ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

I'm getting this screen popping alot, 

tried verify files,

re-installed game,

re-installed drivers,

and now I'm here...

Hello,

I've been experiencing a new, very intrusive bug, glitch, or problem (on my end) and I was hoping that someone could possibly either help me or relate to the issue. If nothing else, perhaps I can document this experience for the community, Bohemia, or the developers of the mods used where I'm seeing this major issue occur. The problem is solely with ARMA 3: Apex assets, particularly environmental (trees/foliage and, less-frequently as it seems, buildings and objects).

The Problem/Glitch/Bug:

Although I've been playing on a modded server, as I'll explain further below, the issue at hand is isolated to the ARMA 3: Apex terrain Tanoa and other ARMA 3/ARMA:3: Apex assets. I'll do my best to explain what's happening for me.

On foot, while driving, while parachuting, or while flying aircraft, there's a worrying amount of texture popping at a rapid pace at random locations from medium-to-long ranges. These pop-ins don't seem to have any correlation with my view distance settings nor have the smoothness of the view distance cutoff that I'm used to in my 3000 hours or so of ARMA 3 gameplay. The biggest perpetrator of these pop-ins are trees and foliage, though I do think I've noticed objects or buildings do it more occasionally that I'd like.

Since things like this can be hard to visualize and I'm probably not doing the best job explaining it, I've made a short video to visualize exactly what I'm talking about. Please note that, even though this could just very well be from me getting used to it or it being more obvious in certain situations, areas, or with different visibility, I feel like the problem could be worse at times and better at others -- I even often felt, before posting here, that the video may not do "justice" to the severity of the issue.

YouTube video for clarification (Apologies for Teamspeak in the background, used Shadowplay - mild language)

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAYQfFg1c_I]

0:00 - Walking

00:35 - Parchuting

2:29 - Helicopter Flight

More Information (Experience, Server, Mods, Other Players' Experiences, etc.):

To be completely honest, I've only been playing ARMA on one server or in one way the past few days and this is the first (possibly only) place I've noticed it, on an Exile server titled "GOAT Exile Tanoa No.1|Scripts|Missions|Active Admins|Events". This server is running the mods Exile, CBA, Extended Base Mod (Exile), CUP Units, CUP Weapons, and CUP Vehicles.

For the record, the server is an EU server and I'm in the U.S. I have a decent internet connection but obviously there's a ping gap and desync (which doesn't affect my gameplay). I thought perhaps I should mention that in-case connection could have anything to do with my problem. With that said, before I began playing on this server, I was mostly playing on EU Exile servers (only on Tanoa for a bit before finding GOAT) and CCG Wasteland (EU - Only on Tanoa). I played on CCG Wasteland enough that I feel like I would've noticed anything even remotely like this issue but, alas, I haven't -- I even mostly fly helicopters on CCG Wasteland (EU - Tanoa) and I feel like that's where this problem would be most noticeable. 

I'm sure if anyone were to try to pinpoint the problem at this point, they'd probably say that it's the server I'm playing on or the mods that are in use. However, I've repeatedly asked the four friends I've played on this server extensively with over the past few days and they've all acted completely oblivious to any idea of what I was talking about. Showing my friend, who I've played with on this server the most, the video I linked above was a surprise for him and he reported that he hadn't seen anything like it. I've asked in chat at least two or three times and was either met with a couple of responses from people who weren't having the issue or by silence -- so it's hard to say if anyone else is experiencing this problem and just not vocal about it.

I've tried to find anyone with similar issues but only came across these two Reddit threads which may or may not be the same issue or related:

Bug Reproduction:

I have gone into the new Eden editor, both with no mods loaded and with all of the mods the server is using, and flown around with the Eden editor camera and not noticed anything like this. I've also placed a helicopter and not noticed the same issue. 

I admit that I haven't done much to try to reproduce this bug/glitch/problem, since it's relatively new to me and I assumed that it was either common or a known bug that'd be fixed by Bohemia, the mod creators, or server owners.

This is making me wonder if the issue has to do with the server or the added objects/players/AI (bases, loot, and missions...or perhaps a mod asset that I haven't placed in editor that has a compatibility issue). With that said, I'd assume other players on the server would be complaining, my friends that I play with (two of which are typically critical, more casual ARMA players) would've said something, or players on the server would be complaining.

I've played on many, many modded  servers in my time playing ARMA 3. Aside from Breaking Point, Milsim, other various older multiplayer mods, etc., I've played a ton of various Exile servers with varying mods, settings, and scripts in use and never seen anything like this. Again, however, my Tanoa gameplay has consisted of: Exile, Breaking Point, CCG Wasteland, Co-op campaign, Editor + messing around, and Steam Workshop missions. I've never experienced anything like this in any of those and only started on this Exile server a few days ago.

Steps Taken to Attempt to Fix:

Steam: Verifiy Integrity of Game Cache

Verified all mods used by the particular server I've been playing via A3 Launcher.

Checked GPU temperature

System Specs:

CPU: i5-4670K (not over-clocked, cooled by Corsair H-105)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)

RAM: 16GB g.Skill Trident X

SSD 1: Samsung 850 EVO (250GB)

SSD 2: Samsung 850 PRO (512GB) - I don't think any mods are loading from this SSD but noted just in-case

Mobo: Gigabyte Z87-DS3H

Graphics Driver is up-to-date. Version: 368.81 (7/14/2016)

Thank you for any and all help, it's greatly appreciated. Even if you have an idea of what the cause could be or anything I may be able to try to fix this from happening, I'd be grateful to hear it!

If you need any more or other information, please let me know!

What OS?

/KC

It's not only in Tanoa. I have this problem in my mission in Altis single player since the Apex patch. In the video below I have only few ambient civilians spawned via a script around me and the flickering begins and FPS drops down from 60 to 20-40 As you can see at the end of the video, it seems as if the flickering itself is degrading the FPS, as suddenly the flickering stops and the FPS becomes the normal ~60 again. This problem becomes worse when you start spawning more units and vehicles on the map. Everything becomes low LOD and FPS drops down to 1-5 and the game becomes unplayable.

System specs:

Intel® Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Asus Z97 Pro Gamer

2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (SLI)

16gb RAM

Edit: Oh, and yes I'm using RHS and CUP mods, I hope they are not causing this as they are part of the mission but I doubt it.

I've also started suffering from this issue. On Altis.

Has anyone found a way to solve it?