pharoah

APEX - what about ships?

Now that we have beautiful Tanoa, which includes a number of closely located islands, its surprising that we don't have ships - I'm talking about:

- multiple types of ships eg. cargo (we already have but unusable), fishing trawlers, small boats, inter island ferrys, navy patrol boats, etc

- ships programmed to move around the islands just like current AI vehicles

- enterable/walkable/able to land on

- able to place AI on (friendly, enemy)

- maybe even oil rigs

see where I'm going with this? This opens up a whole new set of scenarios including:

- ship boarding (opposed/unopposed) via helicopter insert (rappelling) or zodiac

- pirates, hostage scenarios

- sinkings

- ship v ship combat, etc

Are there any plans to incorporate this?

• Like 2

able to land on, walk on/in, and anything larger than a V-44 in terms of model size isn't possible. However, what is possible is ships capable of loading in vehicles, and crates, patrol boats. But BI only worked on what was planned for Apex, and it's campaign. That's about it. So if you want ships, we'd have to vote for a DLC, because otherwise, it won't materialize.

I'm not after ships to land a VTOL on, I'm after ships to rappel onto and/or ships which you can place enemy AI on. APEX is set on Tanoa which is a group of islands. Islands have boats and ships, esp fishing vessels. Surely they can implement one or two types of those. Surely.

Well BI did worked at a Cargo Ship at some point during Apex development. Some of us found a cargo ship during the preview vid display if you placed your mouse on the Editor box and we tweeted at the official account about it (at first we thought that it was some kind of easter egg for an upcoming DLC or something like that) here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/1erRGT/status/752875068800299010

Sadly, the guys at BI denied the information and stated that it was an unfinished asset and that it wasn't planned to release it anytime soon.

To be completely honest, I'd love to see a DLC Ships, maybe with just a few big fishing/transpoart boats and that cargo ship on the image along with an update so we could walk on board while moving (I know this might be a lot, but dreaming is free isn't it  :P) 

So yeah, completely agree with you pharoah. 

Always insightful comments on these thread(s). Sad truth and a whole lot of speculation on my part...Let me just start by saying. I agree more Ships, Boats, Navy, Waterwings, Canoes, Lilos and inflated tractor tires. In fact anything that floats and can be armed sign me up.

BUT! Isnt the Arma 3 Devs off to other projects? Two. The last I heard they had no concrete plans post Apex. So how do we get their attention? I tried.

Granted no brainier. Its islands. There is water. Where the boats. I do think a lot of time went into Tanoa and the extras...there was no time

I don't want to say this. I do wish BIS addressed this. But I honestly think we need to maybe get some modders on this. Pay them from some sorta Go Fund me and get Boats. Or Even RHS. Cause at this rate I doubt boats are going to happen officially.

Well BI did worked at a Cargo Ship at some point during Apex development. Some of us found a cargo ship during the preview vid display if you placed your mouse on the Editor box and we tweeted at the official account about it (at first we thought that it was some kind of easter egg for an upcoming DLC or something like that) here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/1erRGT/status/752875068800299010

Sadly, the guys at BI denied the information and stated that it was an unfinished asset and that it wasn't planned to release it anytime soon.

Now I'm reminded of how the devs publicly regretted a bunch of promises and placeholders in 2011-2012 photos/video coming back to bite them in 2013 and how it drastically affected their PR afterward.

Wow, what a bummer.

Would like to post something more now, but it makes me kinda speechless.

"Whoops, we left that in? Better get rid of it before more people notice and start asking questions..."

But I honestly think we need to maybe get some modders on this.

In addition to lexx's release that delta3242 linked, I would you are permitted to point out that you are permitted to debinarize the data within the Take On Helicopters Data Pack (licensed PBOs) so long as the APL-SA license is observed, in the event that you wish to attempt to go further. Do keep in mind the caveats and limitations described in lexx's thread though, as not only are they very sound but some will apply even if you debinarize the models...

I'm sure if they port DayZ over to Tanoa (well you'd think that the whole world has gone to $hit in the world of DayZ), I'm sure you'd be able to search for and find a canoe, paddle and fish hooks = guaranteed food and transport!! :)

You have one mod for that. FFAA MOD for arma 3.

It's a shame that people in theyr spare time want to push harder the game than the profesional developers.
  • Like 3

It's a shame that people in theyr spare time want to push harder the game than the profesional developers.

That actually makes sense though...

wow...just wow. Its a shame that these aren't in there by default.

Um, I'm thankful for all the modders out there. But only a very small percentage of mods equal the quality BI puts out*. Just look at BI's AKs, you can even see the selector switch moving as you toggle it. Not only that, the model is highly optimized, balanced, and generally far more thought in it besides making it just eye candy. Modders only have 3-4 things to think about when putting a mod in. Developers have 100's. Also keep in mind several models come from sites such as Turbosquid meaning the modder just has to port it. I don't think it's a bad thing since it saves a huge amount of time. But it's not like they're making it from scratch either.

*To clarify on my meaning, quality doesn't necessary mean "look good, and functional" it means quality both from a consumers and developer standpoint. 

• Like 2

as much as I love all these mods I have to agree, hence why I've posted it here. Not only will the quality be better, but it will be available on vanilla servers. The issue with mods is that a lot of servers refuse to run them so you're stuck with 5 gigs of mods and only 1 server (if you're lucky) on which to use it, which kinda defeats the purpose.

BI does need to think about adding ships...and no, not as a DLC...as an actual add-in to either Altis or Tanoa (especially Tanoa). Remember, ARMA is really a base platform - BI gives us the sandbox and the toys, and we then use them. However, not giving us ships on Tanoa is a bit sad given its a group of islands.

• Like 3

BIS' priorities are often misplaced in my opinion. They are making a huge mistake not giving the entire water environment more attention. We need more naval assets. Even larger static ships would be great. There are also numerous water related issues and bugs that still persists even years after release. I'm hoping they will at some point put more man hours into this. I feel they focus too much on balanced mp play and campaign stuff. I would gladly pay for a Ships DLC Pack.

• Like 4

Yup, i wouldn't mind paying even 30-40€ for good naval themed DLC (i understand some might find that a little bit expensive though).

BIS' priorities are often misplaced in my opinion. They are making a huge mistake not giving the entire water environment more attention.

Everyone has their thing. I don't think BIS can be held wanting because they don't cater to everyone's thing. If it's your thing then you have the power to make it.

I see a lot of comments suggesting that BIS are slacking because their thing isn't done natively, without acknowledging that BIS actively enable and support modding for exactly this reason.

• Like 1

Also, if BIS didn't have the time/resources in Apex development to make proper infantry assets, which is what the game is mainly about, they're not going to devote any time to something that is arguably outside the scope of the game. I'm all for adding a few civilian boats, maybe some prop LSTs like in Flashpoint. But It's like the other thread about sniping, or whenever someone brings up improving tank simulation or whatever; it's not really what the game is about.

BIS are more enablers then anything else, if they add new content or expansions sometimes it fixes or improve things that usually required a workaround (eh, usually) that modders can use in some form to shape the game to what they want i.e. tank sim, infantry sim, flight sim or all of the above.

Although this day and age modder content tends rival that of main game devs and it does put more pressure on dev teams to put out much higher quality content then modders can (easier said then done!)

• Like 2

Mods usually have a piss poor quality when compared to official content. Besides, it always requires someone to work on it in the first place... And then with the necessary high quality. Yes BIS enables a truckton of possibilities, which is awesome. But this doesn't give them a 100% protection shield from everything else.

Additionally: If you mainly play multiplayer, you also need server who do use the mods you like. Have fun trying to find one then.

• Like 3

I think it's a little naive posting things like "mods usually have piss poor quality" Most actively supported mods add significantly to the core gameplay assets by way of quality, content, extended functionality.... Even "reality". Yes some mods are simply ports. But I even think that is unfair. The complexities involved in taking even a simple model and getting it in game earn modders a little more respect in my opinion. Having said all that I agree with the original premise of the thread. There should be more vanilla ships and boats. Even a basic handful to allow good templates for modders to inherit from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT: There's quite a few DLCs I would love to see, naval amongst them, just not on the top of my list. Still - would be very logical supplement to the Tanoa archipelago. But IMHO it's more than just about some models. Whole naval AI aspect seem too simplistic currently. 

Anyway - it's all about required time/money/human resources, devs own vision and prioritization. Their perhaps one of the best decisions ever made was making Arma a sandbox platform for mods in the first place. From the other hand - try to create a scenario requiring more than one mod to work and see, how many will play it comparing to scenario working on vanilla. Making a scenario working on vanilla while utilizing present mods is a bit more tricky. 

• Like 1

I think it's a little naive posting things like "mods usually have piss poor quality"

You are nitpicking a part of my sentence. It continues with "compared to official content". This means: Despite of how cool a mod is, usually you can always tell that it's a mod and not part of the vanilla game. Either with the texture style not fitting, the overall model quality not being on the same level, a script function that basically works, but does so while looking wonky, or whatever. A mod is still just a mod.

No not nit picking. Disagreeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk