lexx

[Release] TOH Cargo Ships

There are more of them, like the starwars theme, we will rock you and so on...

Hey.

Object Builder is love. Object Builder is life. :D

A bold statement there.

Hey man, awesome mod - are you planning to introduce proper collision maps and possibly some (at least partially enterable) interiors for them?

I'd love to play some VBSS missions.

• Like 2

Fixed the missing objects in Zeus thing. Turns out the wiki page is misleading- it says you'll have to add your objects to units[] in the CfgPatchs... which is true... but the page forgot to mention that I also need to set scopeCurator = 2...

Anyway. Don't be too happy about it, because as these are static objects, it is very hard to place them on the water in the Zeus interface. Works much, much better in 3den.

Since I see no mention of it over on Steam Workshop, I imagine that this release is APL-SA?

P.S. Your Bohemia Interactive Forums avatar is inferior to your Steam avatar.

Yes and yes.

Files actually can be de-binarized, as I read now, but still-- would it be worth it? The models need a complete overhaul when it comes to tiny details. In a close-up, there are so many details missing, it's not even funny. Additionally, the textures need to be adjusted- not just upscalled, but with a new UV map, split up, so that certain elements can get more texture space, etc. I'd say it would be much easier to make new models from scratch than trying to get more out of the TOH models. At least speaking about the container ships.

Additionally, the textures need to be adjusted- not just upscalled, but with a new UV map, split up, so that certain elements can get more texture space, etc. I'd say it would be much easier to make new models from scratch than trying to get more out of the TOH models. At least speaking about the container ships.

I don't mind the textures, judging by Feint's video, it seems to be enough for fun missions (at least to me). But having proper collision meshes and being able to walk everywhere on these ships would be awesome.

I can already see remakes of Captain Phillips and similar movies! ^^

Modern piratery could be a serious thing in Arma, with a bit of effort.

• Like 2

awesome love these ships back in TOH I would land helicopter and even the AN-2 on top of it all the time, to bad they are static but its not such a big deal, also do the waves move it up and down or is it completely static? 

None of the following should be taken as bashing lexx's work but rather as illustrative of the challenges presented by imported TOH content.

I don't mind the textures, judging by Feint's video, it seems to be enough for fun missions (at least to me). But having proper collision meshes and being able to walk everywhere on these ships would be awesome.

I can already see remakes of Captain Phillips and similar movies! ^^

Modern piratery could be a serious thing in Arma, with a bit of effort.

Unfortunately from unpacking the water_h PBO (no debinarizing required) it appears that every vessel except the LHD (yeah, TOH had that in common with Arma 2 along with the Destroyer and Fregata, the latter of which has proxied-on weapons and stuff) has a single-model hull which means that every big ship exceeds a several-times-discussed-over-the-years 50 meter recommendation for maximum ship segment length, beyond which geometry and roadway LODs tend to not work right.

For example, I threw a manned Pawnee on top of the Container Ship (Grey Empty), got out of it as the pilot, ran around and then even up onto the walkways towards the wheelhouse/upper deck no problem, but once I try to walk past them to the stern... the classic "falling in the floor" pose for a while, then my character ends up on the floor (Virtual Reality terrain) and with fall damage. When I then tried to place the Pawnee onto said stern, upon the Editor preview loading the Pawnee fell straight down through the ship stern all the way to the Virtual Reality terrain floor.

For the big ships at least, "proper collision meshes" would almost certainly mean LHD-style "chop up the ship and stitch the pieces together via proxy and/or init script". The fishing boat and yacht are a different story in that they're short enough that a single-model hull shouldn't cause problems for proper geometry and roadway, but for the fishing boat you currently have to do the "step over" action to get into/out of the wheelhouse and the lack of a single 'unbroken' surface in the roadway LOD means that you can't walk from the rear half of the ship to the front half, while the yacht outright lacks an interior and the railings have no collision...

@veles-zv: Completely static; according to the in-game Config Viewer everything in this addon release except the Jetboat (inheriting from the vanilla Motorboat) is inheriting from the StaticShip class.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's why I wrote in my initial post (and later) exactly that: The ships are static and their only purpose is to add ambient effects to the background scene. They are not useful for anything else and if possible should not be placed in front of a player, as the visual effect then goes over board (no pun intended). Maybe in the sooner future it will be possible for NPCs to operate the ships - then it will be easier to place them via Zeus + giving them a variable path to move. Right now that's pretty much all you can expect from this release.

Can I request the addition of TOH's military ships to the collection? I know LHD and Frigate are in CUP, but Destroyer isn't, not to mention I don't want to use CUP (the vehicles pack requires everything but the maps) for two ships. 

• Like 1

@dragon01: You can already find the Fregata in the Arma 2 samples, and check your PM(s).

Actually, of all these, I was mostly interested in the Destroyer... :) Fregata is not really a US ship. Thanks anyway.

can i request a little request ?  ^_^

perhaps include  

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/109944-isolda-fleet-civilian-ships/

this pack includes some smaller ships to be perfectly used on ALTIS and TANOA 

It doesn't work that way; such a merger is only possible with the express consent of Gnat, who to my knowledge hasn't been active on these forums for years, whereas the express written consent from Bohemia for the TKOH ships is given in the TKOH Data Pack (documentation within), and associated Web pages such as the license pages and SITREP #00104.