Sign in to follow this  
scottdog62

Trenches

Hey guys i'm new to terrain editor, Mostly trying to learn atm. but what I want to create is realistic ww2 style trenches using bulldozer.

I need help creating a 2 meter deep trench by 1 meter wide that the ai could use.

Obviously it has been attempted before but help would be nice.

hi Scott

You have to create your trenches in o2 or whatever first and make them an addon.

Then you can use them on your map. They are an addon which has to be loaded with your map.

Of course you can not be sure that the AI will use them the way you want.

This is my attempt at making trenches

https://youtu.be/q1OrXbHwvvs

I'm still a beginner at using terrain builder i used the atlas tutorial map to make this.

Is there anyway using terrain builder to make the trenches not as wide?

This is my attempt at making trenches

https://youtu.be/q1OrXbHwvvs

I'm still a beginner at using terrain builder i used the atlas tutorial map to make this.

That don't look too bad! How about using some walls at the back of the trench to make it more narrow... maybe the big sandbag walls. Just sink them in well and rotate abit or something :lol:

The only way to do that is to use meshes that'll fill the gap like beton suggests or increasing the horizontal resolution from whatever it is now to 2 meters but this will have a severe impact on how big and detailed your map can be. Best bet is to use a combination of lowered terrain and meshes. You can see the same thing done in Tanoa and to a lesser degree the other BI maps to create the steep cliffs. If you were to hide the rock meshes, you'd see the terrain underneath is super steep. By making the height transition very sudden and using meshes, you can get great results.

+ they added trenches in Tanoa that are objects, so you'll have to join the wait untill they are released for mappers

Had a few more attempts mucking around with eden editor. Maybe if i create a certain trench object i can fill in the holes and make it seem more realistic, hoping that it works well the ai.

Here are a few more videos i took

as for the last video the Ironfront trench fills the gap quite well at the middle point of it at least.

I'm considering making a trench object addon down the track, once i get the hang of how to make terrain first

Well ...

these are some of the trenches i made for my unreleased "sector Dog green" map some years ago. They work great in pvp while AI had some problems. I think i need to port my map over to Arma 3 and test again.

• Like 2

These are the Tanoan trenches: http://imgur.com/NsGBCOG

They are objects and there is another version of them with more mud/leaves on top. I think these look the best but youll have to wait untill they are released for mappers

Well ...

these are some of the trenches i made for my unreleased "sector Dog green" map some years ago. They work great in pvp while AI had some problems. I think i need to port my map over to Arma 3 and test again.

that looks good, did you make them using bulldozer?

that looks good, did you make them using bulldozer?

Those trenches are objects i made using the sandbag mlods from Arma and my own "modelling skills". In Bulldozer i lowered the terrain and placed the objects.

The mapgrid has to be 5x5m or smaller.

Hey guys,

Been working around with trenches on the trench map im currently making, the Ai seems to go through the ditches i made in buldozer ok, but now i want to create a trench object addon that will fill them in.

I'm trying trying to learn how to make an object(trench) in arma3 using blender, I'm learning very slowly. And have no idea how to write a config file yet.

But one thing I have been wondering, if I make a trench and give it the properties of a dirt hump, will the AI see the trench the same way they see the Dirthump and not the way they see the other static objects? I hope the AI will use it like I demonstrate in these videos.

Here is the Ironfront trench, which AI avoid completely

And here is a trench filled with dirt humps and the AI moves over them.

And I'm also hoping and waiting for the new AI driving feature that lets you disable "collision avoidance" so the tanks can go straight,  hopefully there are other features that will help with what i'm trying to do too,

If the AI use the trench i'm trying to make like they use the dirt hump it would be much better, could get the AI to clear trenches and tanks to roll over them. Instead of completely avoid them like the other objects.