Sign in to follow this  
heyvern69

(BIS_fnc_animalBehaviour) - Can't load my mission SAVE points anymore

I can't load save points anymore, in ANY mission.  If i disable CBA the save games work just fine.  But if I enable @CBA, the saved game system fails to load save points properly.  Yet, almost all mods need CBA for them to function.  So disabling CBA really causes problems for mods.

I've tried regular ARMA & Dev Branch ARMA.  I've updated CBA to the newest version (Version: 3.0.0.160713).  But enabling CBA always kills my ability to load mission save points.  The only error message I see when the saved games fail to load properly is this:

'[_agent] call |#|BIS_fnc_animalBehaviour;'
Error Undefined variable in expression: bis_fnc_animalbehaviour

Any advice on how I can fix this problem?

-V

tell the mod author to set the variable to {TRUE} instead of nil.

Good:

BIS_fnc_animalBehaviour = {TRUE};

Bad:

BIS_fnc_animalBehaviour = nil;

wouldn't it still make sense for CBA to take care of the issue, IF (and only if) it only occurs with it running?

i'd also say that reporting this to CBA team directly makes more sense too.

Well, if I disable CBA the problem goes away.  But technically I'm still not sure if it's a problem with (-A-) the base game, or (-B-) CBA, or (-C-) a mod that uses CBA, so I figured I'd ask in the "developer" version forum because these guys are on the leading edge of ARMA3 and it's problems.

I posted the same question on the CBA forums this morning.  So hopefully someone in the CBA team will take note of it and see if it's something they need to fix.

As far as I know, I only have 1 mod that manipulates animals.  (TPW mods).  And when I disable that mod, I still get the same error message.  So it's probably something with CBA, but I have no clue.  

yea seems like you narrowed it down thoroughly.

wasn't trying to point fingers at certain mods just trying to increase your rate of success in terms of meaningful responses. i wonder if they actually change stuff in terms of animals. CBA team i mean.

Many mods disable the animal behaviour scripts, but the engine calls that script function so you will have issues if you nil the variable. Sensible modders who test their stuff, set it to {TRUE} instead of nil :)

OK guys.  I finally found the problem.  Thanks for all your help.

First up, yes, I have the newest CBA installed (from a few days ago).  Turns out that CBA wasn't the problem.  Earlier I was disabling several mods at a time.  And the only thing that seemed to fix the problem was disabling CBA.  But again, the problem WASN'T CBA.

I finally disabled EVERY mod except for CBA, and then tested loading missions.  With CBA alone, loading mission save files worked.

Next, I added 1 mod at a time, and played the SHOWCASE -> INFANTRY mission after each mod was added.

I re-started the SHOWCASE -> INFANTRY mission FRESH after each mod that I added, and I played the mission long enough to:

(-A-) Get the first auto-save point,

and

(-B-) then die (on purpose) to see if I could re-load from that auto-save point.

Of coarse, after testing 18 f#$%ing mods . . . (pardon my frustration) the error message HAD to come from the very LAST mod that I added & tested, and obviously it HAD to be one of the few mods that I considered LEAST likely to throw out an "animal behavior" error message.

These are the mods I tested:

01) Action Button Mod

02) Mao Anims Sway Fix

03) Enhanced Movement

04) Automated Doors

05) KH Lowgrass

06) TPW mods

07) MCSS Simple Heli

08) LSD NVG

09) Advanced Rappelling

10) RYD_BT

11) Blood Lust

12) Alive

13) Tao Folding Map

14) BHC Map Contour

15) ASR AI3

16) Mag Repack

17) Moduload

18) Kimi's HMD

Kimi's HMDs was the offending mod.  It improves the Helicopter HUD icons.  But apparently, it also now causes the following error message, along with a failure to load previous save game points:

'[_agent] call |#|BIS_fnc_animalBehaviour;'

Error Undefined variable in expression: bis_fnc_animalbehaviour

So sorry guys.  I thought it was CBA, but it clearly wasn't.  MY BAD!

Thanks for all your help trouble-shooting, and especially the advice from a guy in the CBA forum - to disable everything but CBA and go forward from there with testing.  I should have done that from the start.  But with so many mods to test, I was disabling several mods at a time instead of one-by-one.  And I missed the offending mod until now.

-V

FYI, it was version 3.3 Of Kimi's HMDs that caused this problem/bug.

I updated to the current version (v3.6) and tested it, and the problem went away!

-V