Tankbuster

Tanoa place name pronounciation?

I was wondering what the accepted pronunciation of some of the new places on Tanoa are?

I'll start with what appears to my anglo-saxon, monolingual tongue, the hardest...

d877494f5c.jpg

• Like 1

I figured it was French and was hoping you'd come along! :) Just to clarify.... Wah-wee? Wah as in car and wee as in what happens when i drink lots of beer?

whey would come out in English as 'way'. Is that any good?

It's at times like this it becomes clear, English is a ridiculous language! :)

It's at times like this it becomes clear, English is a ridiculous language! :)

When French has 'O's that make the sound of a 'W' you call English ridiculous?   :rolleyes:

When French has 'O's that make the sound of a 'W' you call English ridiculous?   :rolleyes:

You know what I mean! :) Though, through, cough, rough, plough, ought and borough. It's madness! We teach our children this crazyness.

Much as I hate to say it, the Americans have civilised the way this language is written, even if they've done sod all to improve the way it's spoken! Tho, thru, plow etc

I before E unless after C.  Unless you're watching "Weird Science" on VHS for example.

• Like 1

I before E unless after C.  Unless you're watching "Weird Science" on VHS for example.

Yes. That would be sufficient.

• Like 1

Also to jump in on the "english is silly" thing- Laughter and Slaughter...Makes no sense.

• Like 1

Just to show how incredible Apex is, I thought that was a pic of a real street sign......

So, resurrecting my own thread and taking it off on a slight tangent.

300?cb=20140211061156

I maintain this is pronounced "Cayman" and here's why; The aircraft is a development of the KA52 Alligator, so it seemed natural BI would give it an alligatorish name. Now, "Caiman" is a type of alligator and it's sometimes spelled "Kajman", especially in Eastern Europe and the Arab world. CSAT country, in other words.

@HazJ  insists that it's pronounced "Kadgeman".

What say the rest of you?

• Like 1

There is a £50 bet on this, anyone who wants to go in my favour can share the money.

I mean cazhman / Kadgeman. However you want to spell it?

• Haha 2

Definitely "caiman" (KIE-mahn). I hear "cazhman" or "cadjman" a lot, but it makes no sense linguistically.

Sorry, Haz!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I may have lost the battle but not the war!

Even his corrected pronunciation is wrong!