Sign in to follow this  
target_practice

.PNGs converted to .PAAs have inverted colours ingame.

I converted a image named city_image_ca.png too a .PAA using texview 2.

Despite using the CA suffix in the image name, when loaded ingame the image has incorrect colours.

I've tried recompiling the image a few times, but the result is always the same.

Also, as some might have guessed from my recent spate of topics in this section, I am currently making a mission that has involved me learning many new things.

JPG should work fine and I'm fairly sure PNG does too, but can't test at the moment.

The BIKI says that PNG is the preferred format, but I will test it using JPG.

EDIT: Nope, texview won't even accept JPGs.

What size are the images?

They have to have pixel dimension that are order 2^n - so 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096

• Like 1

Maybe Texview doesn't handle the color pallets for PNG8 correctly. Make sure you're using a PNG32.

What size are the images?

They have to have pixel dimension that are order 2^n - so 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096

Image size is 1920x1080 (my monitor resolution). However, as the ideal ratio for overview images is 2:1, that would suggest that input files don't require uniform dimensions?

I'm not sure what you mean by uniform dimensions but 2:1 would be 1024x512 or 2048x1024, not 1920x1080.

And, I am going to ask a very silly question here, do you have Windows Explorer set to show file extensions or hide them?

If they are hidden and the file shows in Explorer as city_image_ca.png, it's actual name is city_image_ca.png.png, this would cause Texview to miss the _CA prefix.

Texture files can be 1:1, 2:1, 1:2 even 4:1 IIRC

But AFAIK the only permissible image sizes for any .paa in 2:1 aspect ratio are e.g. 128*256, 256*512, 512*1024, 1024*2048  etc.

Indeed, if you use the newer official imageToPAA conversion tool instead of the older texView tool (texView really is a legacy tool aimed more at just viewing .paa files now, rather than being the primary conversion tool for Arma 3), it will actually refuse to convert any image that uses unacceptable dimensions. And shows error messages in the GUI console when it encounters an image that is not right for the game.

• Like 2

After resizing the image as 1024x1024, the colours were displayed correctly; which confirms that the image's invalid dimensions were the cause.

Texture files can be 1:1, 2:1, 1:2 even 4:1 IIRC

So .PAAs can be 2:1, even though the BIKI says they must be 1:1?

I'm not sure what you mean by uniform dimensions but 2:1 would be 1024x512 or 2048x1024, not 1920x1080.

By uniform I meant dimensions that are 1:1. I am also aware that 1920x1080 is 16:9.

So .PAAs can be 2:1, even though the BIKI says they must be 1:1?

Yes, you can use 2:1. They're not uncommon in the game files. I guess it's just that textures files in the game tend to be 1:1 that people might think they have to be 1:1

I've used 2:1 .paa textures on 3D models and as the splash screen for the mods/expansions menu (in fact the biki says 2048*1024 is the standard for these https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Mod_Presentation but I used 1024*512 for mine) and all inventory images for weapons in the game are 2:1.

Never had a problem with 2:1 so long as the dimensions are based on 2^n pixel values

• Like 1

Sorry to be mathematically illiterate, but is 512x1024 a valid dimension?

Yes it is.

The BIKI says that PNG is the preferred format, but I will test it using JPG.

EDIT: Nope, texview won't even accept JPGs.

I meant skip texview entirely and just use PNG or JPG in your mission.  No need to convert them to PAA if you're just displaying them in a diaryRecord.

• Like 1

A quick aside... I always convert to PAA because in my experience JPEGs act strangely when placed on 3d objects in missions... they go from being blank at a distance to "popping in" when you get close enough to them.  I've not seen PAAs do this.

What I normally do for my missions is my vanilla resolution in arma is 1920x1080 and for my loadscreens on my various missions when I take a photo (using the camera and steams screenshot taker) I then put it in ms paint to resize it from 1920x1080 to 1024x512 and it seems to work all the time doing that.

But like others have said you have to do that 2x1 so like 512x256, 1024x512, or 2048x1024.

I normally sick with 1024x512 for my loadscreens since that seems to work the best and it doesn't seem to make the photo that worse since when you load the mission you only get a small square to show the image anyways.

Also most of my images are .jpg and those are the ones that I convert to the .paa format for my missions.

I meant skip texview entirely and just use PNG or JPG in your mission.  No need to convert them to PAA if you're just displaying them in a diaryRecord.

For me for play single missions I normally just stick with the .jpg format... but I do resize them in the 1024x512 range. I then though for my various campaigns when I make the whole campaign structure is then turn all the .jpg files into .paa.