vme_cycle6

From China Virtual Military Engineers: VME PLA mod for ArmA3

On 10/7/2017 at 8:18 AM, ski2060 said:

Further, there are no separate PLA pilots for planes or helicopters.

Working on sorting that out with my 15th PLA mod right now...should have the first update finished later today if the wife will let me be for a few hours.

So on the (useless) Steam chat client, people are reporting several errors:

ErrorMessage: bin/config.bin/CfgVehicles/LIB_Truck_base/AnimationSources/HitLF2Wheel/: Cannot find base class 'HitLF2Wheel'

What mod contains "LIB_Truck_base" ??????  Someone mentioned Iron Front however I cannot imagine anyone would seriously expect a WW2 mod to work in tandem w/ a "modern" mod.  I can't find any references to this classname?

Server error:No entry 'bin/config.bin/CfgVehicles/Truck_02_base_F/HitPoints/HitFuel.name'

bin/config.bin/CfgVehicles/VME_PLA_Mi17/AnimationSources/HitGlasss1/: Cannot find base class 'HitGlass1'

These errors were not discovered during testing.  Trying to find if anyone has these errors, and if so, we need to know what other mods are running when these errors are reported.

So if one wanted to make a compatibility mod between rhs and vme, how would one begin to go about that?

I always thought RHS exported their armor system to all vehicles no matter what mod when it was active because I've fought tanks with RHS vs Bundeswehr, vanilla, etc and it seemed to not be a problem. It would be nice to have some sort of compatibility because there is no escaping the fact that RHS is widely used and with this coming out people are going to want to make China vs USA scenarios, especially with current world politics going the way they want.

Art imitates life, life imitates art.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hcpookie said:

So on the (useless) Steam chat people are reporting several errors:

What mod contains "LIB_Truck_base" ??????  Someone mentioned Iron Front however I cannot imagine anyone would seriously expect a WW2 mod to work in tandem w/ a "modern" mod.  I can't find any references to this classname?

These errors were not discovered during testing.  Trying to find if anyone has these errors, and if so, we need to know what other mods are running when these errors are reported.

Will see what I can come up with here in a few minutes. I haven't seen that LIB_Truck_base show up but I did have an odd error with the SP weapon appear.

Also here are a few screenshots of some graphics issues I found the other day:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1160681453

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1160681629

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1160681518 (I was running on the highest graphics settings on my rig which has a GTX1070 in it)

7 hours ago, texkaz said:

So if one wanted to make a compatibility mod between rhs and vme, how would one begin to go about that?

I always thought RHS exported their armor system to all vehicles no matter what mod when it was active because I've fought tanks with RHS vs Bundeswehr, vanilla, etc and it seemed to not be a problem.

That is a good question - I'm all for making things better but the VME armor for tanks, apcs, etc. is as vanilla as it gets.

Isn't there a rumor that there is a "Tanks DLC" in the works anyway?

It seems my RHS install needs updating so I am going to have to make sure I'm fully updated and run some more testing.  It is time consuming to test things like armor performance, however the RHS-VME armor question is on the list of things to look into.  It would be nice to understand what "special" settings RHS uses... I thought they just had a more detailed damage model of their armor (e.g. more precise hitpoints values etc)...

Edited by hcpookie
more info

Thanks for those screenshots.  I'll have to look at the compass problem.  The script error is an artifact and shouldn't be seen by "normal" users w/o show script errors running... already pushed a fix to the build.  Regarding the heli cockpit, that is a direct import of the original bird, so whatever it came with originally is it.  Something to look into later.

Also hearing that the AAA airburst scripts may cause lag - which is a shame because I worked to optimize those as much as possible.  What I cannot understand is why don't I see that same lag.

1 hour ago, hcpookie said:

Also hearing that the AAA airburst scripts may cause lag - which is a shame because I worked to optimize those as much as possible.  What I cannot understand is why don't I see that same lag.

While AAA is awesome and "punchy", i have the same lag issue that prevents me from using them (

I can run numerous units w. arty going off all around and smoke and stuff.

But placing a single PLA mobile AAA and firing it freezes the game for about 1/2 of a second every shot.

And this is w. just VME PLA and running off of a fast SSD.

• Like 1

Dropped my faction mod tonight for this one....thanks VME creators for doing a bangup job on the update.

Lag issues for AAA are being investigated.  The trade-off as I see it is the script solution (from my SAM pack) lets altitude-timer airburst work correctly.  I can make it where the "default" airburst isn't scripted so all the lag should go away, at the expense of no more altitude-based flak which was kind of the point.  There is currently no proximity damage for the BulletBase class.  Were that present in the engine, the (SAM Pack) script would be a moot point.

Regardless.

I'm going to push that update to the repository this week.  Cycle6 and company will have to determine the best way-ahead.  Expect the non-scripted solution in the near future.  At this point I think that reducing lag is more important than perfecting a (laggy) new feature.

Current issues that have been reported and are being researched and fixed for future release:

• PLZ05 popup error
  • Laggy AAA scripts (PGZ-07, PGZ-04,LD2000)
  • Missing Wing-Loong 2 turret animations (surprised no one reported this yet)
  • Wing-Loong 2 wheels physx behavior on take-off
  • Missing Wing Loong 2 camo selections
  • Missing pilot target pod settings on J10, JH7A, J20
  • NEW:  Currently adding accurate ZBD-04/08 cannon barrel recoil and breech reload animations to the models.
  • Need to research missile thrust values. Speed too high?
Edited by hcpookie
updated to-do list
  • Like 3

I made a quick showcase overview of the new vehicles with a bit of new information:

• Like 5

Someone asked me for the links to the vehicle class names - I thought I had already shared those so my apologies.  Here they are:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3-4VL1c10OMNWxtM1ZWaWJkVVU?usp=sharing

Also, in case you missed it, I made a PLA-specific version of my SAM Pack.  It of course requires VME PLA and my main SAM Pack to run.  You can find the info and d/l on my pook_SAM pack discussion, and the d/l is also now on steam as well:

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/186438-pook-sam-pack-v5x-arma3-version/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1154451490

• Like 1

Update:

When the Team updates the mod they'll have all the above fixes to add (pending testing of course) along with new ZBD animations.  I watched several videos of the ZBD-04 (BMP-3) and it appears that the main 100mm gun reload action amounts to a really large break-action shotgun.  One can watch vids of it fire and see the barrel move up/down after firing so that seems to be what is going on.  Regardless of "why", the models with the animation for reloads for the ZBD-04 and ZBD-08 100mm cannon are part of the repository... so a Future Update should include these updates.

Current list of known/reported issues:

• Config: WZ-10 helicopter 30mm cannon ammunition setting
  • Config: WZ-10 chin turret assigned to gunner (assign to pilot?)
  • Config: A-A and some A-G missile speeds appear too fast
  • Config: Review helicopter AGM settings (laser vs. optical guidance on some)
  • Config: ZBD-04/08/03/ZBL gunner turn-out range of motion
  • Model: Mirrors on APC's are clipping into the model (PIP surfaces) - ZBD04/08 driver, ZBL-08 all
  • Model: ZBD-03 gunner turn-in view is outside of vehicle
  • Model: Tank commander turn-out position too low
  • Config: Tank commander range of motion
  • Model: ZTL-11 commander, gunner view turn-out positions

I can hopefully have these finished and uploaded to the repository by the weekend.  Fingers crossed :)

• Like 8

I found some problems with the tanks' geometries.  These were corrected and the armor values were adjusted to make them behave more like RHS armor.  It seems pretty evenly matched although I can't say that the ammo behaves correctly as you can empty your mag in certain parts vs. other tanks, and some places the ammo cuts right through.  It is probably as good as it can get before the Tanks DLC rolls out (pun intended).

Vs. CUP armor, however, it seems to be underpowered.  You have to use the AT10 to be certain the CUP tank will go down.

Those changes were pushed and as usual, pending testing, will be eligible for a Future Release.

• Like 2

Can you make various armed versions of Z-9 Dauphin helo too?  Will fit in there ,for medium attack /more heavy transport,of armor is boosted.thanks

I advise you to first look at the mod before making suggestions to add things that are already present.

• Like 2

@hcpookie you are the mudsucking man with those fixes. Nice work and glad we can help. Also you had sent me the vehicle classnames via PM and for that I appreciate it quite a bit. It made my release of 15th PLA a little easier.

Well I get a little O-C about things so when I see lingering issues it really bugs me!  Most of the models had quite a bit of things to update and there's just so many details there are things that unfortunately slip through the cracks.  All will be fixed in time.

Testing the new "no lag" AAA and it is still formidable.  Not as pretty with explosions all around your plane but it works w/o lag which I will guess is more important for most people ;)  It still needs a little bit more adjustment before I'm satisfied with it.

• Like 4

Great mod. Been waiting for it for a long time checking constantly. All the work you've done with the anti-air is great stuff. I loved the anti-air you did for Unsung. Good hidden selections on the vehicles for bumpers and accessories and what not. Weapons feel good. Excellent variety. Very solid.

I only ask that you please separate camouflage into distinct factions. Trying to use "PLA_Faction" with ALIVE or anything else that scrapes infantry classnames from factions spawns desert and woodland units together along with blue-helmeted UN units.

I was desperate to fight with and against the Chinese, but placing units manually on large maps with inherent FPS problems is something I found lacking.

In order to play an ALIVE mission on Tanoa with the USMC vs the PLA army I literally decompiled several of the .pbos from your mod, converted the configs, went through and deleted every instance of desert or united nations units or vehicles (including replacing the PLA_SoldierAR_HR_F vehicle crew with PLA_SoldierAR_F) and re-converted the configs, recompiled the entire thing with edited groups that include motor/mech/armor/air and got it to work. I don't think that every average joe that wants to do what I did can do that in an afternoon.

The groups are kind of strange. The different infantry groups should be labelled navy/rocket/army etc. since in the editor they all just say "Infantry". Men in wetsuits/divers seem to spawn exceedingly. There are no motor/mech/armor/air groups.

For a first release, however, it's fantastic. It has more content than pretty much every mod out there. The best first full release since Van Halen 1 in 1978.

Also, as other people have said, I'm amazed at how fast you work pookie. :don16:

Amazing mod. Chineese are both very good as East/OPFOR allies, and as third side.

Only problem is lack of compability between VME and RHS vehicles. This problem is very painful for CUP too.

I hope, something will appear after Tanks DLC. In my dreams i want to see in Arma something like Man Of War tank damage system, but you know...we get owr bipods, we can wait another 13 years:evil:

@ofp_comissar one of the guys in our community is working on an ACE compatibility patch to help with ballistics. Unfortunately the RHS thing is just going to have to be that; it would be nice if someone made an RHS/VME compatibility patch but that one is way out of my league for sure. I have found that the 2035 Russian's match up well against VME. Not overpowered but also not underpowered either. That mod just lacks a depth of armor and other items against the VME mod.

2 hours ago, pognivet said:

Great mod. Been waiting for it for a long time checking constantly. All the work you've done with the anti-air is great stuff. I loved the anti-air you did for Unsung. Good hidden selections on the vehicles for bumpers and accessories and what not. Weapons feel good. Excellent variety. Very solid.

I only ask that you please separate camouflage into distinct factions. Trying to use "PLA_Faction" with ALIVE or anything else that scrapes infantry classnames from factions spawns desert and woodland units together along with blue-helmeted UN units.

I was desperate to fight with and against the Chinese, but placing units manually on large maps with inherent FPS problems is something I found lacking.

In order to play an ALIVE mission on Tanoa with the USMC vs the PLA army I literally decompiled several of the .pbos from your mod, converted the configs, went through and deleted every instance of desert or united nations units or vehicles (including replacing the PLA_SoldierAR_HR_F vehicle crew with PLA_SoldierAR_F) and re-converted the configs, recompiled the entire thing with edited groups that include motor/mech/armor/air and got it to work. I don't think that every average joe that wants to do what I did can do that in an afternoon.

The groups are kind of strange. The different infantry groups should be labelled navy/rocket/army etc. since in the editor they all just say "Infantry". Men in wetsuits/divers seem to spawn exceedingly. There are no motor/mech/armor/air groups.

For a first release, however, it's fantastic. It has more content than pretty much every mod out there. The best first full release since Van Halen 1 in 1978.

Also, as other people have said, I'm amazed at how fast you work pookie. :don16:

Sounds a lot like what I did in the ALiVE ORBAT Creator to make a BLUFOR 15th PLA group for my China vs Russia mission. If you don't mind sharing I would like to see how you did yours for the groups as I was struggling a little bit and really want to see how you built them. Also I am going through and building OPFOR groups composed of the PLA Army, PLA Rocket Forces, PLAN Marines, and PLAAF as well.

I am glad to hear that someone is working on an ACE compat mod. If you guys get it working would you please share it on Steam?  I will probably be running VME PLA on my unit's experimental server to test it out and see how viable it is.
We too use ACE and RHS, and would love to see some comparable performance between the different opponents.

And great work on things Pookie and VME crew!

I refer to my above comments regarding current/pending "vs. RHS" behavior.  Evolution of tanks compat vs. other mods are going to have to wait until Tanks DLC.  There is zero logic in developing a dead code tree any further.  This is precisely the stance that CUP has taken for their armor.  I have some great ideas for ERA but why bother if Tanks DLC is going to squash all that in a few months (or whenever!)...

I'm not going to debate the team's class naming decisions however there is a definite structure to the naming conventions.  I cannot figure out ALIVE and even after I tried to read up on to make an "ALIVE-friendly" mod.  Examples would be helpful.  Expansion of the variety and selection of groups is planned for sometime after the bugs are squashed.  Ditto for native OPFOR classes.  All in due time.

Let's not get too hasty opening up PBO's as this mod isn't under any share-alike license.  I don't want to speak out of line as I'm sure the team will be glad to entertain the notion of making the mod better, but that kind of development needs to happen after the team blesses it.  That's something I need to run by the rest of the group to get their take on how they wish their content to be handled by non-team efforts.  For now I can only vouch for use of the spreadsheet I uploaded and the main page's classname list to reference class names, which should be all that is utilized for external configurations. 

• Like 4