Sign in to follow this  
Eldari

Low usage with 8320 and gtx980

Hoping to get some help here from a few of you experts that hang around here.

Little brother has a system with an 8320 overclocked to 4.5Ghz, GTX980, 16GB of ram @ 1600Mhz, SSD, etc..

His primary issue is that he regularly gets 20-40 FPS while trying to play with our clan and yet his CPU and GPU usage never exceeds 30% while playing. He can change any setting in the game options and setting everything to off or low versus setting everything to ultra/on makes less than a 2-3 fps difference. After going over temps, nvidia control panel settings, in-game settings, bios settings, etc I am at a loss. I have seen people on this very forum with lower end systems citing 60fps+ stable. If he was being bottlenecked by either his cpu or gpu I would expect one or the other to be capping at 100%, yet to not even utilize his hardware I feel like something else is going on. This same system gets 100+fps in the new Doom Multiplayer, with everything set to ultra, and 80+ in GTA5 with everything on ultra. I understand that arma isn't the same as those types of games, but even as a single core game, one of his cores should be maxing out in order to justify such a low fps.

It has made the game unplayable for him and unfortunately he cannot afford to switch motherboard and cpu at this time. 

Willing to give any info needed, though we do work during the day and I have to rely on him to get me said screenshots or logs. I have faith that someone here has the answer, even if he does not.

P.S. We play Exile if it matters, but even on official wasteland servers he only saw a 5-10fps bump over exile. Also, Tanoa is 12-15 fps for him, the 25-40 is on chernarus exile

As with all of these threads about low system usage(and there are a lot of them) giving specs while running on a server is pointless. Go into the editor with no mods running then give framerate here and also list graphic settings-especially view distance