Sign in to follow this  
HeroesandvillainsOS

Way to find "the real" missing addon?

So I've been trying for a couple days now to join my squad on their server and I'm stumped. I'm missing a dependency but no one can figure out what it is. I'm going to try not to rage post but the error message telling me the content I'm missing is simply not correct!

So, to point out how easy this should be, I made some missions that use nearly identical mods:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/192272-alive-spcoop-1-8-inshallah/

I'm trying to load the PBO, and/or join my squad playing this:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/192072-alive-coop-20-border-patrol/

Which uses IDENTICAL mods, except the map is FATA (I've tried several versions of the map), it uses ACE (which I have on Workshop), two newer versions of Burnes' vehicles (I downloaded his links), Taskforce Radio (I have on Workshop) and Advanced Rapelling (I have it on Workshop).

But anyway, this is besides the point. I don't expect anyone to know what mod I'm missing. The point is, the error I get when trying to load or join is that I'm missing 3CB Equipment assets. And that mod hasn't updated in over a year.

Is there any way to genuinely find out what addon I'm missing? And why on earth do they even bother with displaying missing addon messages if the one they display is NOT RIGHT? And this wouldn't even be an issue if the ridiculous green dot red dot dependencies stuff when trying to join a server meant anything either, which it doesn't (and hasn't ever and I've owned this game for a long time now)!

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but these messages are obnoxious and I'd like to sort this out. And hopefully bring dev attention to this because the system they have in place is 100% useless.

I remember reading a thread where someone had a similar problem and it came down to the load order in Arma Sync. I'll see if I can dig up the thread later on.

Your problem does sounds similar, especially since the other mission does work for you.

Here you go: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/192092-help-with-bug-caused-by-mods/?hl=load+order#entry3060338

I hope you can get it fixed :)

-edit

And why on earth do they even bother with displaying missing addon messages if the one they display is NOT RIGHT?

To be fair, you don't know if you are correct claiming that. If it turns out to be the load order like in the other thread then the message itself is SPOT ON.

I appreciate the reply, but honestly, the solution here is a long shot.

We've been playing on and off for well over a year now and not once have I ever had an issue. I believe we all use the default A3 steam launcher and I'm very, very mindful of my load order (CBA, game changing mods, the mods that depend on the game changing mods, clientside mods, weapons/equipment/vehicles/units, map pack, map. This is very sound).

I mean, I'll definitely ask what load order they are using if I can't figure this out but my point still stands.

I am NOT missing 3CB Equipment assets. That mod is 100% correct and the same for the mission, all clients and the server. It's completely ridiculous that this mod is being relayed to me as the missing content when it absolutely is not. I see your point, in that the coding may very well believe that's what's missing if content isn't being loaded correctly, but I am 100% certain that when I figure out what's missing, it won't be that. Which makes the message and the green/red dot stuff an absolute waste.

I've looked at this pretty closely, and I honestly think that the server is using a different version of one of Burnes vehicles than what AuTigerGrad is linking (I really can't think of anything else at this point), but that serves my point. It probably is a Burnes asset and the message should tell me as much.

• Like 1

I agree that this is one of the more frustrating issues in modded games, yes Elder Scrolls, I'm looking at you :P

Have you tried hosting / running the entire thing on your own computer? Not saying you should play that way but if that works, you can rule out any issues related to your own setup in combination with that particular mission.

And just thinking with you here, are you on stable, apex sneak preview or dev branch?

• Like 1

I agree that this is one of the more frustrating issues in modded games, yes Elder Scrolls, I'm looking at you :P

Have you tried hosting / running the entire thing on your own computer? Not saying you should play that way but if that works, you can rule out any issues related to your own setup in combination with that particular mission.

And just thinking with you here, are you on stable, apex sneak preview or dev branch?

Yeah. I'm a FONV guy (or was before Arma) so I know the detriments of one screwy mod being out of place all too well, sadly. :(

I did download his mission rather than continue to bang my head against the wall trying to join on the server. I figured it would make more sense to suss it out alone versus cursing over Teamspeak. LOL!

It's the same result. And the standalone PBO requires less mods than what he was running on the server and I still can't get it to load.

The only other thing I can think of is to check the mission.sqm. But I'm assuming he binarized it so I'd need for him (or someone that can actually load it) to unbinarize it for me because I obviously can't open it in the editor myself. But even then, the Binarized Addons section in the mission.sqm will be equally vague. I mean I'll see the requirements, which will be identical to the thread where the mission is more than likely, and I still won't know what's (more than likely) not the correct mod version I'm using that's different than what the rest of my squad is using (which I'm assuming is a Burnes vehicle but at this point, who knows).

So there's no way anyone can think of to get a "correct" error message for missing dependency? Will I just continue to have the game tell me it's 3CB Equipment for forever and ever?

I won't get around to it tonight but I'll try to run that mission myself later this week.

If you install the free version of Mikero's tools, you will be able to unpack the PBOs yourself and perhaps find out what's wrong that way. Anyway, I'll report back here once I've tried to run the mission. In the meantime, good luck :)

• Like 1

I can confirm no changes on our mod fou some time. Have you tried creating a Dropbox link from what the server is running I.e. Exactly the same modest ? This is one of the real benefits of using something like armasync. You guarantee like for like modsets. +bikeys of course Vital for proper dedicated servers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more thing that you might try, if your modlist is significantly long the install path can be an issue as well. Our community thus require our members to have their mod folder on a top directiory, such as D:/A3mods or the like.

And regarding the loading order, we struggled with this a looooong ass while before we figured it was due to the load order. 

I can confirm no changes on our mod fou some time. Have you tried creating a Dropbox link from what the server is running I.e. Exactly the same modest ? This is one of the real benefits of using something like armasync. You guarantee like for like modsets. +bikeys of course Vital for proper dedicated servers

Honestly. I think this is a good idea. AuTigerGrad just got a new server and I think we've decided on a mission rotation (we were discussing this as they played and I sat in the Teamspeak lobby lol).

We're such a small group and our "regulars" never ever have had a problem with missing addons before - and with so many mods on Workshop now, it's hard to miss something - but all in all, a directory of non-Worshop mods isn't a bad idea at all. I would have said a few days ago this wasn't necessary (mod updates very rarely sneak past anyone in the group), but yeah. It sure would alleviate a lot of the stress.

It's just a shame the error messages are so useless and we'd need to resort to that, but yeah, it is what it is I guess.

One more thing that you might try, if your modlist is significantly long the install path can be an issue as well. Our community thus require our members to have their mod folder on a top directiory, such as D:/A3mods or the like.

And regarding the loading order, we struggled with this a looooong ass while before we figured it was due to the load order.

What's a top directory? I have my game installed in the default path on my C: drive (my only drive), with standalone mods installed in their generic @folders, and the Workshop mods being loaded from the launcher.

Also, so you guys don't use Workshop mods I take it then?

Tbh mod load order should be a thing of the past if the mods have their config patches created properly. They sort themselves

• Like 3

So a thought just occurred to me...

When I was stuck in the lobby while my team was having fun playing, some of the guys mentioned how much they loved the new JSRS.

And I read a few days ago that it was creating an unwanted dependency when mission makers had the mod loaded while making their mission.

Now...I wonder...could it be as simple as this? Worth a try but I also have zero desire to use it or even bother downloading it (I like the new vanilla sounds). I'll have to unbinarize this baby and take a peak. This could very well be the solution.

Absolutely. Though why it references 3CB is anyone's guess. It used to be good practise to strip out any mods or addon requirements from the SQM before publishing. I still do this, though I know most don't

Yeah me too. I accidentally created a dependency in my Prophet mission (using your amazing mods, btw!) for LSD's Full Screen Night Vision a month or so ago. Something in the game definitely changed recently about adding clientside only mods as dependencies. I'd never had this problem before and now after getting burned am super careful with what I have loaded when saving my own missions.

AuTigerGrad definitely sung praises for JSRS the other day so it definitely would seem possible that he left it in his launcher when saving the mission.sqm.

At least I have something else to try now. :) It was easy enough for me to fix on my end by deleting the Addons section of the mission.sqm and saving again, so hopefully this is it (and he'll fix it) and I'll be back in business.

Can't take credit really. All I do is sit and bother the clever people in the modding channel... Something about "Moon" and "Stick..." Anyway glad you're enjoying them. Definitely try de-pboing the mission and check the SQM for dependencies

• Like 1

What's a top directory? I have my game installed in the default path on my C: drive (my only drive), with standalone mods installed in their generic @folders, and the Workshop mods being loaded from the launcher.

Also, so you guys don't use Workshop mods I take it then?

A top directory is a custom directory for mods that has the shortest path possible. So in your case, it would mean making a new directory at the top level of the drive, that being C:\. So it would look like this "C:\ARMA3mods" or what ever you would like to call it. I don't know if long paths is an issue with the vanilla launcher though, but it is worth a try. It is possible to set up your own custom mod folders with the default launcher as well.

• Like 2

Oh goddamnit.

So ALiVE just put out a test version of their upcoming Apex release. This includes a fixed index for the N'Ziwasogo map. I have a mission on that map which I put on hold and because their old index was causing issues. It's been about a month or two since I opened or edited it.

Anyway, they put out their new index for the map and I can't open my own damn mission because apparently I'm missing a 3CB resupply vehicle. Obviously I have the newest 3CB vehicle download but I'm guessing I haven't edited it since they added their new resupply options.

But regardless, I put hours upon hours upon hours into building this mission waiting for the map reindex. It finally comes and I can't even open the damn mission at all because it says I'm missing something I HAVE.

I deleted all of the Addons in the Binarized Addons section of the mission.sqm. And still, I can't even open it. All that time wasted!!! I guess I'll never be able to open my own mission ever again because what? 3CB updated their mod???

What a damn joke. How can I be missing 3CB resupply objects when I have them loaded??? And why on earth am I not allowed to open my own mission after deleting the Binarized Addons section of the mission.sqm? I mean why not make the item just not appear in the mission itself and tell me what I'm missing and let the mission still load so I can fix it???! But to tell me I can't open my own damn mission because some mod I HAVE must have updated since the last time I opened it is an absolute joke and makes me reconsider why I even bother doing this at this point.

I can't even open the damn mission at all because it says I'm missing something I HAVE.

You could try editing the mission file directly with Notepad/Notepad++ and replacing the problematic class with a more generic class. That might at least allow you to open the mission in the editor again.

Can't you just use Rapify to debinarize your SQM? I always uncheck that binarize option in Eden, it's evil.

• Like 2

You could try editing the mission file directly with Notepad/Notepad++ and replacing the problematic class with a more generic class. That might at least allow you to open the mission in the editor again.

This is a pretty good idea! I wasn't thinking rationally last night. Sorry. I was a little lit up and fuming when I posted (having slept on it I'm much calmer now). I had thoughts of editing my post as to not sound like a madman, but someone may find this on google someday and could find comfort in my tantrum. :)

If I can't suss out what to edit I may post the mission.sqm back here to see if anyone has any ideas.

I honestly should have thought of this yesterday but I guess I got tunnel vision in the heat of the moment. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Can't you just use Rapify to debinarize your SQM? I always uncheck that binarize option in Eden, it's evil.

So I'm fairly sure it's already unbinarized. Well, it's at least in a language I can read and understand so that's what Rapify would essentially be doing, right? Meaning I probably wouldn't need to need to use the tool?
  • Like 1

On second thought, I really have no idea what to edit. I mean, I could take a crack at it for sure but I've never done this before. I guess Eden thinks I'm missing two 3CB resupply objects. Here's the mission.sqm if anyone has any suggestions for which lines to edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv4t5rdjuq67f92/mission.sqm?dl=0

Perhaps Serjames is still lurking and knows which lines I could alter or what classnames Eden will accept?

Anyway, sorry again for the ranting. I'm usually fairly calm around these parts if anyone knows me from around the forums. Thanks for continuing to post in here in between my meandering and nonsensical raging. LOL!

Work is blocking Dropbox out of 'cloud' fear but I'll have a gander when I get home.

Yes it's the supply box for the helicopters. We had an unavoidable class name change. I will try and get the class name for you

• Like 2

Yes it's the supply box for the helicopters. We had an unavoidable class name change. I will try and get the class name for you

Thanks, Serjames. What's weird is I only ever had a problem for like a split second when the last 3CB vehicles update went through and it temporarily broke backwards compatibility. You guys fixed it in like less than a day lol. But I don't know if I ever tried to open this specific mission or not. It's been awhile.

Well hopefully, in this instance, Arma has some mercy on me, and that the error I'm seeing is correct and putting proper classname at least lets it open.

I'll try whatever you dig up and if that doesn't work, I'll post the exact errors back.

I appreciate all the help everyone. I really mean that.