Tankbuster

Put writing on the side of an object

Given my limited, but keen knowledge of the engine and it's scrpting, I'm sure the answer to this is "NO!", but I'm going to ask anyway. :)

Is there a way, of putting writing on the side of large objects, specifically, the shipping containers?

I know that setobjecttexture global can do this, but it will mean big files and user textures can do it, but I'm hoping for something more flexible. For example, if I wanted a sign on the side of the container that said "aircraft parts", I'd need a texture that said that. If I wanted another that said vehicle parts, I'd need another texture.

Would it really be practical to have 26 small user textures, one for each letter, and have a system that could accept a string input and place them on a given object with decent looking spacing? Or is there a way of rendering text in this way without using textures?

• Like 1

Given my limited, but keen knowledge of the engine and it's scrpting, I'm sure the answer to this is "NO!", but I'm going to ask anyway. :)

Is there a way, of putting writing on the side of large objects, specifically, the shipping containers?

I know that setobjecttexture global can do this, but it will mean big files and user textures can do it, but I'm hoping for something more flexible. For example, if I wanted a sign on the side of the container that said "aircraft parts", I'd need a texture that said that. If I wanted another that said vehicle parts, I'd need another texture.

Would it really be practical to have 26 small user textures, one for each letter, and have a system that could accept a string input and place them on a given object with decent looking spacing? Or is there a way of rendering text in this way without using textures?

I would also like to see this done, I have tried adding a few textures to signs in the game to make my own signs but they are big files and they always seem to be a black screen until you get close the first time to load them then they are fine. It would be nice to have a function like addWord or addLetter [object,font,color,location,ect...

Something similar is done over at RHS. I wonder how their decal system works?

3D Text and proper calculate the position, scale, transformation depending on viewing angle. Maybe.

Something similar is done over at RHS. I wonder how their decal system works?

RHS has limited amount of predefined positions for character textures (which are predefined too), which is totally not the same as arbitrary text. Consider the performance hit.

I would concentrate on automatization of generation of full textures with required texts (and don't forget localization!), like scanning source code for key strings (or even having them in once place, e.g. in array in special file), then converting all found text into corresponding textures using 3rd party tool during build time. All can be automatized.

Yeah, that doesn't look like generalized API.

if I wanted a sign on the side of the container that said "aircraft parts", I'd need a texture that said that. If I wanted another that said vehicle parts, I'd need another texture.

A simple texture saying "Aircraft Parts" is only like 5K, probably smaller if you go less quality.  Pretty small considering.

I'd recommend using setObjectTexture on the 1M and 10M User Texture objects for a quick, simple, and effective way of adding text to objects. Two drawbacks:

1) rain will appear behind the text, no matter what (for text and small decals, it's really not noticeable at all).

2) at a distance, a User Texture placed too close to an object will disappear or flicker. This can be solved by adjusting the distance between the surface of the object and the text (User Texture). Again, not a massive problem.

I'd recommend using setObjectTexture on the 1M and 10M User Texture objects for a quick, simple, and effective way of adding text to objects. Two drawbacks:

1) rain will appear behind the text, no matter what (for text and small decals, it's really not noticeable at all).

2) at a distance, a User Texture placed too close to an object will disappear or flicker. This can be solved by adjusting the distance between the surface of the object and the text (User Texture). Again, not a massive problem.

Whatcha mean by 1M and 10M?

Whatcha mean by 1M and 10M?

There's two objects, one is 1x1 meters and the other is 10x10 meters in size.

Ooooh. The 1x2m one is new!