Wiki

Will you keep buying ArmA games?

Will you still buy ArmA games?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. After the release of Apex, will you keep buying ArmA games?

• Yes of course! I will preorder them!
    • Maybe, but I will wait for feedback first. No preorder nor day 1 for me.
    • No, unless BIS go back to the old mechanics.
    • Never again! I've been too much disappointed.

If Arma 4 is announced then I will be interesting in buying the game but only if the game engine is upgraded or changed to make better use of computer hardware. Content is not a problem for me thanks to the great community and modders that continue to deliver high quality mods.

Yes, but you would have to revert to a previous position.

Here, you can kill 5 guys, die and respawn, all gear restored. Then you return to combat, the 5 guys still dead, and you continue on.

With savegame system (previous system), you would restore to your last save position, but the enemies still on.

Don't know if you see what I mean

I get your point but I don't think killing the same 5 guys over and over again until you get it right is that much better gameplay.

Without the saving the enemies should also "respawn" so to speak. Not the same exact guys in the same exact positions, but with a little randomness. So when you're sent back to respawn point, you might encounter new enemies on the way to or at the objective.This may sound casual CoD-like thing to some people, but in my opinion it would create a natural punishment for dying.

And since the difficulty, AI skills and numbers, are already adjusted on the fly anyway, respawning enemies would fit right in. (If it's done right, and without being too obvious to the players)

Regarding the actual topic: Yes. Apex campaign is so small part of a great expansion, that it being a co-op isn't a deal-breaker for me.

• Like 2

Don't like the option for new Arma 4 specially because of many addon makers don't have whole life to spend on creating every time something what is released for previous game i think BIS should stay on this adding new expansions to existing Arma 3 
We had great people such as Gnat that is left community Vilas, he was active but i think he has no more interests to make addons for A3....

ArmA3 was a tough choice because it was the first game in the series to provide less value than a previous game. Tons of cut content, copy pasted armies that stay like that even 3 years later with zero difference between them, no campaign on release and what came later turned out to be mostly crap save for episode 2. The excuse was that "ugh we had to redesign the game a whole buncha times, understand us please". OK.

But now Apex comes out and if not for Tanoa it would've been a total garbage for the price tag. Not only BIS has learned nothing from ArmA3 release, they went further and made some ridiculously looking vehicles based off real ones while keeping both NATO and CSAT still the same copy-pasted crap they are. Except now the campaign is absolute junk too. And that's the result of 3 years of work? What's the excuse now?

With all that said I'm gonna wait for a ton of reviews for ArmA4 because the way things are going it may end up like a generic Ubisoft OpenWorld Game©® plus the ability (or rather need) for modders to bring in missing content as opposed to previous games in the series that felt 'finished'

With saving you'd get unlimited loading and getting all your stuff back and be a one man army too? ;)

with a single save per mission that you could've spent a hour ago? Yeah that compares to respawn where enemies stay dead and you get all your gear back and just finish off remaining ones alone

Why not just a step further and use the ultimately stupid argument then - "with infinite mission restarts you get all your stuff back and is one man army!".. ... in a mission where there's usually a whole squad not just you but let's not let such minor details bother you ok?

• Like 2

I get your point but I don't think killing the same 5 guys over and over again until you get it right is that much better gameplay.

IMHO it's so much better.

Without the saving the enemies should also "respawn" so to speak. Not the same exact guys in the same exact positions, but with a little randomness. So when you're sent back to respawn point, you might encounter new enemies on the way to or at the objective.This may sound casual CoD-like thing to some people, but in my opinion it would create a natural punishment for dying.

Yes, it IS very COD like.

And on topic, yes too.

• Like 3

Of course I will...this is no question !

Apex is worth every single penny just for all the awesome sandbox content, be it Tanoa ( the best map of the whole series), be it the new radio protocols  for creating new units or the jungle resources which will make mods like UNSUNG or Hell in the Pacific even more awesome :) I also like the new weapons, gear and vehicles which really brought me back into the 2035 setting. ...not to forget the fantastic Eden update on the Road to Apex...

I do hope for some proper Singleplayer content in the future though :)

Hell yes. I can never repay the value BI has given me.

I dont care soo much about official campaigns and mission (they can never match CWC), so I buy the engine and play my own scenarious.

• Like 1

The series is the best open sandbox, modable game which can be played across a range of PC systems with a great core of players and modders.

Generally speaking, concerns can be solved with the long list of mods and a variety of playing styles catered to.

Unless I'm missing something, like another available PC game, there is nowhere else to get what we have with Arma

Why wouldn't I preorder and encourage BI to continue?

• Like 2

Hell no,going to adopt a "wait and see" stance with A4.Too many screw ups with A3,lack of direction and excuses.Also had hopes for Apex and thought they would actually add a new faction or at least expand and diversify the current ones(they still couldn't even bother to rid of the copy&paste turrets).

Instead there is a small number and frankly crappy looking new units with the exception of the vtols,some retextures,a good island and a campaign that was more addressed to....seriously for whom exactly was that abomination called "campaign" made for?

This whole expansion gives me a feeling that some at BI stumbled on and suddenly discovered Crysis 1 and thought "wow great idea",bring on nano-suit and alien squids in next expansion ok?

Will see what the future holds in its hands i guess. I dont want to mindlessly throw cash around but i enjoy supporting BIS in any of its endeavours.

Especially with the new Enfusion engine to be used for future games. It is important that developers will be calculating steadily, patiently and in detail how engine should behave. I feel that if next ArmA game would be put on new generation Enfusion engine, it will be ArmA done right without tons of bugs at the release date. It is important to develop your engine first and foremost and worry about content later. Content can be build and must be build at the foundation engine provides you. Later down the line you might consider that some functionality of the engine might be a drawback for the thing you want to achieve. IMO it is important to make engine easily adjustable, modular in the sense to the devs so one change does not break the whole game.

We might see no ArmA 4 in the next few years and im content with it. Arma 3 is here to stay for some time. It is still nice and beneficial for the devs to make WIP modules to test them in ArmA 3 to serve as a basis for future and hopefully enhanced Enfusion implementation.

No other game even comes close to Arma for me and I doubt one ever will. For all it's faults it's still a one of a kind game. Just the amount of control you have over your character puts it head and shoulders above every other game.

I'll keep playing it until it dumbs down to a point where it's just like Squad. Then it's time to move on.

• Like 1

I'm the mega n00b, here, but even when I did not really got very impressed in my first try(actually, purchased)) of Arma ever (Appex), I'm already thinking on purchasing Take on Mars. The reason why behind this, is because what you can easily check is there are not many updated and active commercial games with this (Bohemia's style, it seems, luckily) wide flexibility in editing (even if it's hard). Most give you some skinning capabilities, but apart from Valve and some other, the usual thing is freedom for editing is not a priority. And having worked in game studios, things change a lot with updates....I learnt there that a game must usually be judged "globally" rather than by a very specific update. That said, I have no clue about the whole Arma world, lol. getting some basic notions, these days...

• Like 1

Votes yes. ArmA is still the military sim I love, although I'm a bit concerned that it might not stay that way. There are signs I don't like, that are pointing to a more casual game in the future. But my hopes are still up, that they were just some experiments to attract new players and that we will get more stuff for us core ArmA players in the future (especially campaign wise).

• Like 1

I won't be doing a preorder, but if they use Early Access like last time, I'll bite. If it really does take the best features of Enforce and RV, Enfusion could bring us solution to some very old problems (just check out how immersive vehicles in Take on: Mars are). Not getting Apex, though, at least not until its on a sale and the problems are ironed out. Hopefully BIS will dial back on the "casual" after Apex.

So far Arma has always been great value for money. BIS tried a different approach, many don't seem to like it (or at least those in the forums), and others do like it. Personally I don't understand why all the hate if something is different than you expected. BIS can try new things, it might work or it might fail. Such is life. So I voted for the first option.

So far Arma has always been great value for money. BIS tried a different approach, many don't seem to like it (or at least those in the forums), and others do like it. Personally I don't understand why all the hate if something is different than you expected. BIS can try new things, it might work or it might fail. Such is life. So I voted for the first option.

Because its not different -its a move towards accessible and anyone thats been into tac shooters a long time knows what that means.

• Like 2

Because its not different -its a move towards accessible and anyone thats been into tac shooters a long time knows what that means.

Yes, but suggesting that BIS is going down the disastrous Ubisoft road when releasing a single more accessible and simple fun co-op campaign in a DLC package is unfair given their track record the past 15 years. It's not as if they removed bullet drop, added health regen and added other "dumbing down" changes with a platform update or something. It's so premature to claim (in general, not meant at you specifically) that BIS from now on go down hill and will only want to please a less hardcore crowd. I'm glad some things have been made more accessible and improved (think of Steam workshop, Showcases, VR etc). The campaign might have been a miss. But it's no indication that BIS has decided a completely different approach. Ah well, we all can have our opinions of course :)

• Like 3

Yes!

Just giving my perspective....OFP to A3 is the cheapest entertainment I ever had....talking cents/hour, maybe even fractions of cents!

Being curios I just checked number of hours I played A3 and it is a bit over 1000 hours. Can't remember what I payed for A3 + released DLC's (APEX not included) but lets say I payed 50.00 USD total (it's less since I pre-ordered all of them) simple math gives 50/1000=0.05 USD/hour!

On top of that BIS always support their games longer - as well as listen to users feedback - than any other game developer I experienced. If in doubt all you have to do is to read all the change logs posted and read the posts from various dev's in Development Branch section.

Are BIS and A3 perfect? No - very few things are...

/KC

Edited by KeyCat
  • Like 2

From OFP to Arma 3..what a ride. Of course I will buy the series as long as they make them. The support.. The passion, can't be faulted. Sim games are a drop in the ocean compared to the mass market sea of casual choices out there. I'd pay triple the cost if need be.

• Like 1

The series (OFP>ARMA) may not be perfect and you have to get used to the 'quirks' but it still provides unique gameplay unlike any other game.

I've tried many of the other fps combat games but they all got repetitive and boring very quickly for me.

So yeah, ARMA will keep me happy for another 15 years ;)

only with a proper engine.

otherwise one could just continue to play Arma 3.

Apex is the pinnacle of the Arma series so far. Bohemia has steadily over the many years improved Arma. It is not perfect but is far above anything else out there when it comes to military sims.

• Like 1

I did not vote because none of the options make sense. About purchasing Arma 4, it depends. I am an fan since OFP, but if they continue with their trend of going further in time, Arma 4 will be about space magic and laser swords, and kiddie sci-fi is not my cup of tea.

Just giving my perspective....OFP to A3 is the cheapest entertainment I ever had....talking cents/hour, maybe even fractions of cents!

Being curios I just checked number of hours I played A3 and it is a bit over 1000 hours. Can't remember what I payed for A3 + released DLC's (APEX not included) but lets say I payed 50.00 USD total (it's less since I pre-ordered all of them) simple math gives 50/1000=0.05 USD/hour!

It's a bit different in my case. Each release triggered a full upgrade of the PC I had at the time, plus a CPU here and a graphics card there in between releases. No other game made me want to, nay, need to upgrade like this series did, and I play a lot of other games.Even with a thousand hours played, that would be close to the euro/hour than the cent/hour.

• Like 3