Sign in to follow this  
germanske_norge

How much would you recommend the Apex Expansion?

I've been considering it, and the map looks absolutely amazing, but of course I'm not paying 35$ for a map. My dilemma is the many of the weapons have already been done by mods, in particular RHS, and said mods have seemed to have done the weapons better than Bohemia. 

Is it worth it to pick up Apex?

Ive never really been a huge map nor uniform guy preferring functionality over all else. Id actually play a polygon based game with no textures if they could behave like real soldiers with real tactics -buts thats just me.

That said, this map really is badass and it DOES lead to a better CQB in my opinion. Maybe not building based, but this is really the first time you feel like an enemy can just pop up right in front of you -that was impossible or at least very unlikely since inception.

next the uniforms -like i said, i rarely notice vests, trousers, baggies whatever (I know we have some fantatics here and thats cool), but these are really tight looking and makes me want to load it up more.

Of course undecided on campaign as i just started. One worry Im seeing is it really looks co-op based and plays out with multiplayer options only -no save but repspawn. ugh.

Overall: 8.5/10 so far. Its very nice.

• Like 7

In my opinion, the map is the only reason to buy Apex. When I first downloaded it I only checked the other content and was disappointed - a couple of VTOLs with questionable design, a dozen of weapons with sealed barrels, a bunch retextured uniforms; the things you usualy find in a half-assed over-priced DLC. But when I finally decided to check out the new map I was astonished. I've seen people saying that Tanoa is the best map ever made by BI and I still didn't expect it to be that good.

So yeah, you're basically going to pay $35 for the map. But I think it's worth it.

• Like 3

if play multiplayer = its a must, no discussion

if you like addons = its a must, since its more or less a standard, many mods will take advantage of it.

If you just play now and then in the arma editor = save your money

• Like 2

You'll need it if any terrain builders use the objects as well, so it won't just be 1 map, it'll be all that use Apex objects in the future.

It's on sale until it's official release, grab it cheap now, it's well worth it and so is supporting BI.

• Like 3

I really love Tanoa as well, but that's also because I love jungle settings in videogames. But so far the map has a lot of atmosphere and the jungles are beautiful. Personally I'm glad I bought Apex.

Of course undecided on campaign as i just started. One worry Im seeing is it really looks co-op based and plays out with multiplayer options only -no save but repspawn. ugh.

Is the campaign already available in the Apex preview? I can't find it anywhere.

I really love Tanoa as well, but that's also because I love jungle settings in videogames. But so far the map has a lot of atmosphere and the jungles are beautiful. Personally I'm glad I bought Apex.

Is the campaign already available in the Apex preview? I can't find it anywhere.

Campaign is now in Dev branch.

Also regarding tanoa-I have never really liked jungle settings, but I can easily say this is the best map BI have ever made and I would have paid  just for it.It is stunning-has a completely different feel from any of the modded jungle maps available.The jungle Is so dense you have to find little paths to move through it and climb over fallen logs etc. I;m finding enhanced movement mod very handy ;)

Well it's up to each person to buy it or not.For me the choice was easy-I have gotten 2000 hours from Arma3 already and I have no problem paying a bit to help the Devs after that much value for money.What other game can give a fraction of that time?

• Like 3

WHAT????  No saves, just respawn, ffs?  :eek:

Well, time to try something new.  :unsure:  Survive, ADAPT, win.   ;) 

I'm just downloading RC now, so I haven't tried campaign yet.

• Like 1

10/10 would recommend hands down. The performance on Tanoa being better than that of Altis/Stratis upon launch was enough to keep my satisfied, due to the fact, my PC isn't the best, but getting 60 FPS in the campaign was the cherry on top for me. Multiplayer, depends on the server. I play MGT exile which runs anywhere from 40-25 FPS which is good enough for me until i get a new PC in the future. It's a great expansion, even though i still think there's some things they could have done better or added in, it's a good buy. Love the feeling of the map, the gameplay style is different from Altis/Stratis, it's more my type of style because of the Geography of Tanoa. 

• Like 2

Agree with everything said and would also give 100% recommendation. Here are the points made that are reasons I would recommend;

• Best map BI have ever done and will offer up a style of play and tactics not seen anywhere else with Arma 3
  • I actually love the VTOL's and imo a huge addition to fleet of vehicles
  • Weapons - vanilla now offers ak47's and rpgs more suited to third world armies
  • Future mods will more than likely use Tanoa assets

Sure you can get much of the stuff through mods, but the beauty is you don't have to with Apex. Instead, many of the features, maps etc basically become vanilla which won't break with updates nor will they fade away because a modder loses interest.

Tanoa is excellent, but I don't think Apex as a whole is worth the full price. I think the pre-order price is more appropriate, considering the large amount of reskinned content we're getting. I've said this elsewhere, but in most cases I don't even think the quality of the reskinned assets is very good. Arrowhead was a true expansion - although there were some re-used assets, most of the content was new and suitably different from Arma 2 to deliver a fresh gameplay experience (except that it was basically M16 vs AK47 again).

I do like most of the new weapons and vehicles, but my main problem with Apex is that I was really expecting a brand new NATO faction, but we ended up with basically the same NATO and CSAT units we've been playing with since Arma 3 was released, just in different colours (the excellent Viper units aside). I'm only really interested in infantry gameplay, and although I understand that everyone has their own favourite aspect of the game, infantry combat is arguably the main focus of the series and I found that side of Apex to be a little underwhelming.

Its around 23€ on Steam until the official release.

IMO it worth.

Its funny, as I buyed Arma 3 two days before it leaved Alfa, it cost me around the same as Apex XD

Worth the preorder price but wouldnt say the full price unless you are hardcore Arma player and your private server will most likely use it.

Can't really rate the Apex yet as it hasn't been released and most of things might get fixed BUT as of this moment the Apex Preview quality is subpar imo.

1. The larger towns feel like holywood filming sets, they feel fake with no wear and tear and ofcourse unenterable buildings. They kinda feel like Arma 1 towns you know they just don't feel believable.

2. Apex weapon textures look bad some look like they came from Arma 2.

3. Apex weapon sounds feel weak but they might be placeholders.

4. Not as much new content compared to what Operation Arrowhead brought to the table.

5. Cheating AI is amplified on Tanoe. If you think fighting against AI was unfair in Chernarus vegetation then this is hell. Enganing AI in less than 50 meters is death sentence in Arma games which is what happens on Tanoe most of the time.

6. Cannot calibrate RPG-7 iron sight which makes it quite useless for players at medium-long ranges.

7. Not really a problem but map has less utility than Altis or Stratis for mission types. Think more Vietnam style missions dominated by infantry, helicopters and air in general. Also Main Battle Tanks have no way to cross the islands as they cannot get transported. For this reason I like Altis more cause it supports more mission types and has more varried topography.

8. Was expecting more famirial firearms and vehicles being used in current militaries.

What's good about Apex:

1. Finally some ARs and AKs in vanilla :) Just hoping they improve texture and sound quality

2. Quite liking the vehicle loading into VTOLs mechanic. Now you can paradrop IFVs and other lighter vehicles without landing and hovering in combat zone. Eagerly waiting for modders to take advantage of this with Chinooks, C-130s etc.

3. Tanoe itself looks very nice and should be fun in TVT. I personally didn't have much fun in COOP  against AI so far.

4. Overall some new engine based improvements

This is just my opinion and it doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. One man's masterpiece is another's garbage so take this post with a grain of salt. I'm simply a bit underwhelmed with current state of Apex Preview.

• Like 2

Is it worth it to pick up Apex?

The map is by all means something I'd recommend. IMHO the best map of the OFP/Arma series. Really well made, some buildings are non-enterable tho. 

The content is quite good, has a lot of nice things (mainly civilian stuff and traditional weapon systems; the VTOL still need some love tho). So I'd recommend it too.

The Co-op campaign in its nowadays status. Can't really recommend it, unless you are a big fan or you enjoy super-arcade FPS.

- - - - -

You said that in your opinion the map alone is not worth it, and the weapons and content can be already found in other mods, so probably in your case, I'd say it's not worth it.

• Like 1

I think the quality of the reskinned units (NATO soldiers, CSAT camo, etc) is the way it is, because the assets aren't used in the Apex Protocol campaign. They really aren't more than a bonus for us players, so we can have more asset variety when playing on Tanoa. That's all it is for.

Other than that, I think Tanoa alone is worth it mostly. At least I don't feel ripped off, and I bought the addon 4 times. Still, if you are expecting some excellent singleplayer content, you will be highly disappointed. If you expect more multiplayer fun, then not so much. If you are a mission maker, you totally want Tanoa.

In my opinion this money is worth because it's a great map and I am a huge jungle map fan. Additionally there are many new weapons and a lot of vehicles and clothing. At the moment it's way cheaper than it's normally would be so buy it now otherwise you have to pay more.

Still, if you are expecting some excellent singleplayer content, you will be highly disappointed.

The worst news possible, although not unexpected.  *&^*&^#&%$)&^!@(  Perhaps this will be my final purchase from BI.  But I haven't tried it myself yet.

I would probably give it a 7/10 for expansion

its clear BI has diverted much revenue toward other projects now, and are not interested in porting some useful assets from A2 into A3 Apex. BI's support of SQF scripting language is excellent, however, and makes it easy for community designers to fill in the gaps.

No Shotgun / 10 for the weapons

No Females / 10 for the units

No motorcycles / 10 for the vehicles

The map is nice though.

Cheers

• Like 1

If you even like ARMA, you should buy this at least for the MAP and new terrain assets.  It is a complete joy just for me to load up an AI and have him drive me around Tanoa Sightseeing. Load up TPW_MOD for added non-conflict immersion. 

Desktop Vacation anyone? It really took the edge out of a long hard work day. Seriously beautiful.

Everything else is a plus especially the new CSAT units to me. It felt like I just dropped into the next Hollywood movie seeing those Vipers. I love everything about it and wish only for more of it.

Yes, the CTRG and BluFor side needs some better QC to bring it up the quality to match the CSAT units, but it is a lot of fun seeing all the new camo gear. And I cannot wait for the new campaign with Island Narco-Terror-Drug Dealing type adversaries.

It is really hard to advise people to buy things so BIS has gracefully allowed every ARMA 3 owner to test the expansion before buying. Unheard of in the games industry where you get a lot less from other's DLC content!

I'm one of the first Alpha demo buyers back then and that is just crazy to test a full on expansion for FREE. I bought Apex just based on beta testing pictures alone because we know how BIS works. If they deliver, they really do it in spades despite any growing pains and they support us for a long time when other companies have dropped support for current games and are already working on version 2, 3, 4 and 5s of their franchises.

Just switch to the dev branch and test drive it like the good days of shareware and the decide.

As a wise man once said "The Journey is the Reward." Don't miss out while you can still test for FREE.

• Like 2

I bought it but feel that it completes the game as opposed to expanding on it.

I would say it's a nice map and worth it if you're paying equivalent of £20 etc, but the rest of the content should have been in the game to begin with (plus maybe adding additional missing things like motorbikes as Grumpy mentioned).

For me, buying Apex was like buying Operation Arrowhead. Eventually, a lot of mods, maps and scenarios will depend on the Apex expansion, with time it will become a mandatory purchase in order to get the full experience. Unless you want to have an experience similar to that of trying to find community created content only for Operation Arrowhead or ArmA 2... 

• Like 1

Get it for the(quite awesome) map otherwise this ain't a classic BI expansion like OA,small number of new units and vehicles(even smaller if you take into account armed&unarmed versions) and some retextures slapped up.

If you aren't in a hurry I would wait a sale,it doesn't worth the current price.

The easy answer is: get in on the sneak preview/dev branches/... and find out for yourself if you think it's worth it.

The map is most excellent, and unlike units or weapons, there aren't that many quality maps out for ArmA3. I don't think it's necessarily worth the full price, but if your mp community is going to use it, there's no escaping any way.