zozo

Co-op Campaign: APEX PROTOCOL

I am happy with my purchase.

first because it supports BIS and I like their arma3 (and OFP)series and the way they approach most things.

second because of the content and upgrades it adds. very nice.

but reading about the campaign and the focus on accessibility irks me a bit.

I think true accessibility isn't in removing the challenge. Or dumbing things down in hopes of appealing to a wider audience. They want mad action not accessibility.They want gore not subtle revive systems.

but if you want to do accessibility then there are quite a few areas inside arma 3 that would benefit a ton from being made more accessible and intuitive to use. Areas that would affect the gameplay and consequently made the game a shit load more accessible.

Being the most authentic and true as possible military experience (not simulation ye yes) and portraying the systems and challenges of that is what the focus should be.

• Like 1

IDK if this is the right place to discuss the plot but I still have some questions regarding the story of  both East Wind and Apex Protocol.

SPOILERS

1. So am I right to assume that Apex Protocol happens after the "good ending" of East Wind when CSAT retrieves the device off the Altis and then withdraws from the island? It could be possible that Apex Protocol happens after Game Over ending of East Wind. Miller steals 1 device  from Altis while CSAT may have many of those and deploy 1 on Tanoe while signing a treaty with NATO after the conflict on Altis?

2. How the hell is Miller still part of the military? In one of the last missions in East Wind your commander tells you to stay away from Miller and consider him hostile because NATO did further investigation on Stratis incident and he was found guilty as far as I remember.

If that's the case is Miller taking orders or doing all this rogue style to get the device for himself? If he is  taking orders CTRG is hostile to NATO which would be weird. If he is rogue operator he would be court martialed and wouldn't appear in Apex Protocol.

But then you have some kind of NATO Task Force commander working with CTRG Commander (Watchtower) and not having any problem with Miller. Please explain this

And I like that they finally explained the whole CSAT plan. Engineer a natural disaster, arm the insurgents so that they weaken the pro west goverment via proxy war and finally deploy your troops and diplomats on the country to provide help to clean things up and make the country pro CSAT. All this for strategically important piece of land. Clever BIS

SPOILER/BUG:

I've played mission #6 'Apex Protocol' a few times now, but I (we) am every time unable to get all achievements ticked; these achievements are not synced between players (e.g. some have 'Texas' open, others 'Montana') though all players did get a message when these achievements were cleared. This results in the mission stalling and not advancing towards the self-destruction of the drones and the meeting with Miller at the Viper black site...

IDK if this is the right place to discuss the plot but I still have some questions regarding the story of  both East Wind and Apex Protocol.

1. The 'good' ending must be canon because otherwise James would be dead in Apex and Miller would already have Eastwind.

2. No, you are told that Miller is legit but to stay away from him anyway.

Actually I half expected Miller to kill my team and steal the device at the end of Apex.

Mission 6 didn't advance for me in a co-op game either. We cleared all the objectives but nothing happened.

SPOILERS

1. So am I right to assume that Apex Protocol happens after the "good ending" of East Wind when CSAT retrieves the device off the Altis and then withdraws from the island? It could be possible that Apex Protocol happens after Game Over ending of East Wind. Miller steals 1 device  from Altis while CSAT may have many of those and deploy 1 on Tanoe while signing a treaty with NATO after the conflict on Altis?

2. How the hell is Miller still part of the military? In one of the last missions in East Wind your commander tells you to stay away from Miller and consider him hostile because NATO did further investigation on Stratis incident and he was found guilty as far as I remember.

If that's the case is Miller taking orders or doing all this rogue style to get the device for himself? If he is  taking orders CTRG is hostile to NATO which would be weird. If he is rogue operator he would be court martialed and wouldn't appear in Apex Protocol.

But then you have some kind of NATO Task Force commander working with CTRG Commander (Watchtower) and not having any problem with Miller. Please explain this

And I like that they finally explained the whole CSAT plan. Engineer a natural disaster, arm the insurgents so that they weaken the pro west goverment via proxy war and finally deploy your troops and diplomats on the country to provide help to clean things up and make the country pro CSAT. All this for strategically important piece of land. Clever BIS

1) Apex is after the "good ending" of East Wind - which is the one where you don't help CTRG on the last mission (and you have the "status quo" ending).

2) He is still in the military. Indeed, at some point, command tells us to stay away from Miller and consider him hostile, but atm they don't have information about him. Then, later in the campaign, they also tell you" Miller's identity confirmed, fucking brits and their black ops". To make it simple, CTRG are SF conducting black ops - which NATO isn't aware of. But still, he belongs to the CTRG and the military (probably taking orders from Vauxhall Cross).

3) CSAT plan is to destabilize the region with the device to take over and make sure CSAT increase their influence in the area.

SPOILERS

nah I just played through the east wind campaign, and during the mission with the tank in the city, crossroads say's that They've identified miller and said that he was on their side, but it was above Kerry's pay grade to know what he was up to. They then say to stay away from miller ordered him to not speak to him again.

they say that Miller and his group are potentially hostile because he's an unknown combatant relatively early during the Win campaign, and that officially the UKSF left months before the flashpoint, but they ratify that later near the end.

Ultimately i think that the 'good' ending is canon, mostly because they reference the journalist that is in the nato ending quite a bit mentioning that he asks a lot of questions and shit. but both endings are very vague so either is potentially possible due to how open the beginning of the Apex campaign is

Regardless Miller being good or bad... I reserve a bullet for him every mission we meet; "This one's for Kerry!"

I feel it was another wasted opportunity not using Miller as cool double agent antagonist. By the way, is it explained anywhere how he actually got to Tanoa in the first place?

• Like 1

I feel it was another wasted opportunity not using Miller as cool double agent antagonist. By the way, is it explained anywhere how he actually got to Tanoa in the first place?

Why would you have Miller be a double agent?

He's just a spec ops guy, following his orders no matter what.

Doesn't make him a bad guy.

To me, Millers is just alike the Lieutenant Briggs (interpreted by Jason Isaacs) in "Green Zone"

SPOILER/BUG:

I've played mission #6 'Apex Protocol' a few times now, but I (we) am every time unable to get all achievements ticked; these achievements are not synced between players (e.g. some have 'Texas' open, others 'Montana') though all players did get a message when these achievements were cleared. This results in the mission stalling and not advancing towards the self-destruction of the drones and the meeting with Miller at the Viper black site...

That's the new multiplayer task system at work.  Not everyone will have the same Tasks, but they will all see the tasks complete as others complete them.  When I played through it each player took a different task/site and completed it and we quickly cleared the tasks and advanced on.

To me, Millers is just alike the Lieutenant Briggs (interpreted by Jason Isaacs) in "Green Zone"

I don't know, in East Wind CTRG always had some rogue vibe to me. I thought Miller might be a traitor of some sort. From a narrative point of view, I would have appreciated some surprises in the plot, delivered by a decent villain. It doesn't have to be George R.R. Martin level of plot complexity, I would go with Tom Clancy as well. I mean, why spending budget on fancy rendered cutscenes and voice acting if the content of said scenes is not particularly interesting to watch anyway?

• Like 1

That's the new multiplayer task system at work.  Not everyone will have the same Tasks, but they will all see the tasks complete as others complete them.  When I played through it each player took a different task/site and completed it and we quickly cleared the tasks and advanced on.

You misread; objectives that are completed do not show themselves as such for some players, that's why the mission stalls. I even had a session where the game kept spamming the same objective as 'assigned' over-and-over, while it was already completed beforehand... 

I mean, why spending budget on fancy rendered cutscenes and voice acting if the content of said scenes is not particularly interesting to watch anyway?

Agree witcha on this point.

Offtopic, but that made me lol....

Being a double agent is bad, but blindly following orders no-matter-what not?

Offtopic, but that made me lol....

Being a double agent is bad, but blindly following orders no-matter-what not?

Being a double agent is bad.

Following the orders is what agents or soldiers are meant to do, period.

If Vauxhall Cross ordered him to do something, he does what's necessary to achieve it, that's all.

Being a double agent is bad.

Following the orders is what agents or soldiers are meant to do, period.

If Vauxhall Cross ordered him to do something, he does what's necessary to achieve it, that's all.

Seems the irony is lost to you, but you do question someones morality (a double agent) while at the same time refraining from a moral judgement about someone who suspends that morality.

Seems the irony is lost to you, but you do question someones morality (a double agent) while at the same time refraining from a moral judgement about someone who suspends that morality.

I catched the irony of your post.

I was just answering it.

A double agent is a traitor.

Let's take Miller: IndeedPete would have liked him to be a DA - which means he would have worked for CSAT all along.

1) THe would have been a traitor then

2) What the point for him to try stealing the device in East Wind whereas it already belonged to CSAT?

On the contrary, being a british specops, trying to achieve his objectives (that are kept secret from NATO command) to UK HQ is normal to me.

It's a black ops, it's normal NATO doesn't know about him nor his objective. And it's also normal that he didn't tell NATO about it.

But that doesn't make him a bad guy.

You misread; objectives that are completed do not show themselves as such for some players, that's why the mission stalls. I even had a session where the game kept spamming the same objective as 'assigned' over-and-over, while it was already completed beforehand... 

me and a friend are having the same problem and dont know how to proceed

Miller doesn't have to be working for CSAT. It could be a different faction, or he did his own thing, whatever. I loath this "turning CSAT more and more evil"-thing, despite I agree now with an earlier post who said the plan behind CSATs destabilization of strategical areas is kinda cool. Still.... NATO could be a douche too, but they aren't shown as that at all. They are the obvious good guys, saving the day.

me and a friend are having the same problem and dont know how to proceed

Not sure there is a way around it; it's either 'all boxes get ticked and you're okay', or 'you're not'...

Regarding to Miller and CTRG...do we have any info about what CTRG really is...as it seems it is a multinational worldwide operating special force unit under nato command...not a british unit as we all thought  when playing Eastwind..

I catched the irony of your post.

I was just answering it.

No, the irony was in your statement:

When someone acts as a double agent agent out of his/her own conviction, he/she is a traitor to you,

but if the same person was ORDERED to act as an double agent, you're perfectly fine with it...

Regarding to Miller and CTRG...do we have any info about what CTRG really is...as it seems it is a multinational worldwide operating special force unit under nato command...not a british unit as we all thought  when playing Eastwind..

A small introduction into the role the player was assigned to would have been welcome, yes...

Just as on what mandate you're acting, what RoE to respect, etc.

I guess I need to replay East Wind cause my memory is rusty.

I though that:

Miller caused the explosion on Stratis base to turn NATO against AAF. And I remember someone mentioning that Miller sabotaged NATO invasion and did all of that just to buy himself more time to find the Eastwind Device.