zozo

Co-op Campaign: APEX PROTOCOL

, I'll be glad, if it is combined with having a good time playing our content, I'll be happier :icon_twisted:

Here's a quote from Reddit a few hours ago that might cheer you up!

[–]Qbopper 4 points

5 hours ago 

I'm on mission 4 with my buddies - holy crap, this is amazing. I never got into the vanilla campaign, but this is a blast - it's accessible and fun, but still feels relatively tactical (I actually set up ambushes/etc.)

• Like 2

Considering the results of my poll, it doesnt seem to bother people that much :)

• Like 1

So you basically saying - "If you don't like it , make your own Campaign"  :eek:

• Like 1

So you basically saying - "If you don't like it , make your own Campaign"

It's more "the community will make missions and campaigns anyway".

But they're right, you know.

• Like 1

It's more "the community will make missions and campaigns anyway".

But they're right, you know.

Well i get that but we paid for that campaign :P

and i didn't liked the Showcase: End Game that much haha

I can't begin the fifth mission in the company.
Problem of display of the company in the menu of the companies.
In the first day everything was good. Perhaps, Arma3 error departure in the final of the fourth mission of the company was the cause.
How to correct a problem?

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T119182

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T119146

Apex Protocol was first and foremost meant to be accessible.

Uh huh, so when are we getting the campaign that is meant to be more like ArmA instead?

You know just to keep things fair.

Because the last BIS campaign that wasn't "meant to be accessible" was BAF DLC and that was 5 years ago

• Like 2

Uh huh, so when are we getting the campaign that is meant to be more like ArmA instead?

You know just to keep things fair.

Because the last BIS campaign that wasn't "meant to be accessible" was BAF DLC and that was 5 years ago

Disagree here:

ACR campaign wasn't accessible at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pettka, I'd like to explain a point I think it hasn't been said before in this thread, at least in my case is the main reason of why was I expecting your campaign.

Many of us make our own mods, for ourselves or for others, as well as missions or other kind of content. Also, there is a bazillion of user-made content out there. We all know that. So, Why I was waiting for your campaign?.

Well, you are the guys with a mocap studio, with talented programmers, designers (please give a pay rise to the Tanoa guys), who can make proper radio chats, or game tricks nobody can do. It's your game. You have all the resources to make a campaign awesome, in an awesome terrain, and suddenly we get something that many of us, as SP players, barely can play. That's all.

• Like 4

I thought the whole idea of the Co op WAS to introduce new players to the campaign show them them another side of arma? Hell I play mp alot so was looking forward to the mixture. imaging the best of intense arma3 campaign playing with some friends or random guys.

Change is good when it makes things better Mr Marston-Red dead

but the whole campaign just got a dumb down . sacrificed to give training wheels and hand holding gameplay to introduce new players. And show them the exact same forgettable casual gameplay they would be used to from a billion other fps games.

It had potential to be something much deeper not just to appease long time fans but be a landmark to be talked about by players from all the Arma the different game types I play.

A mission were spec team you and players and police do a raid taking place on a drugs plantation that is funding the island terrorists. You get to use drones to gather Intel. you engage kill terrorists. It goes wrong some of the cops get kidnapped. You as the Co op spec team begged by the police force to help. have the option to now deviate from original plan and go help the local police force save their fellow officers. Or chase down marked cartel member who escaped instead. scene of plantation burning

Thats a way to give life mod players a sense of home within the campaign just using the mission itself . And still be enjoyable for all.

It's clearly too late for all that now and guess that's were the community come in to shore up the lacklustre part of campaign.

• Like 6

I would say BIS underestimate their players very badly. Have heard many times senior bohemians also liking more the old unique campaigns (e.g Resistance). They should realize that is also what the players would want to play. I didnt have internet when OFP and Resistance arrived, still played the campaigns constantly for years. Those were the best ever happened thing for gaming. No other games could beat those. Without community mission content the ArmA3 would be near absolute disaster. ArmA2 still had some super effort in mission design, I dont get why abandoned all that. Mission editor have endless possibilities but you dont use it almost at all.

• Like 9

It would be great to hear, do even BIS know someone who favors the new ArmA3 mission content over the old? I dont. I am writing review of Apex for finnish gaming magazine again. What are the aspects in COOP campaign that I should be excited about? Tanoa is of course one of the best maps so far, but not sure what you expect me to write about mission content.

Edit: @mistyronin, Pelit-magazine. Should come with August edition, unless they leave it for September.

• Like 1

It would be great to hear, do even BIS know someone who favors the new ArmA3 mission content over the old? I dont. I am writing review of Apex for finnish gaming magazine again. What are the aspects in COOP campaign that I should be excited about? Tanoa is of course one of the best maps so far, but not sure what you expect me to write about mission content.

Well, all things considered the aesthetics and presentation are pretty nice (I really mean it, I'd even pay for that map). In your case I'd probably start with pa, and end with ska or start with vitt... 

I'd also mention that the missions are impossible to fail, so those who don't want much challenge will enjoy it. 

In addition, if you enjoy playing solo, rambo style, without breaking a sweat, this is definitely a good campaign to play. 

So basically I'd recommend it to those who are not interested much in serious military FPS, want to enjoy a really wonderfully made island, and don't mind pouring some important bucks for a couple hours enjoyment. 

BTW tell me what magazine and when is it gonna be out, that I'll check my closest R-kioski.

- - -

The beginning of the first mission should definitely change, I forced a couple of my mates to play the mission and both followed the couple of AIs. There should be a hint that specifically say: do not follow the AI guys, they are not part of your team. 

• Like 3

Yes, that would be a good modern take on Arma campaigns. Like these multiple separate campaigns in RTS games, each for one race / faction. All telling the same story but from a different view. The East Wind only shows a fraction of what Arma can do. While infantry combat is somewhat the centre of the game, I wouldn't mind looking into dfferent aspects from time to time. But even in East Wind, you could snatch an AAF tank in Bingo Fuel. It was entirely optional and required a bit of exploration and patience. Only vehicular "action" I encountered in Apex Protocol was driving the LSV in that one mission to the extraction point. (Which was again quite contradictory. Stealth mission, everyone is super silent, but NATO parks a God damn VTOL just 500 metres from the AO on the freaking top of the volcano where it can be heard and seen from miles away. Really makes no sense to me.) Granted, there might be more occasions to utilise vehicular assets in Apex Protocol I just missed.

Could you explain could snatch a tank in Bingo Fuel? I know the mission is considered the hardest of the East Wind campaign, and I imagine it is due to the fact infantry vs. armor is always favored to armor, especially considering the mission has at least four armored vehicles against your squad.

As the campaign was today released for sneek peak version, I gave it a shot and tried the first mission. It's not bad, but it really needs tweaking.

First of all, the lack of AI sqad mates... It's breaking immersion - way too many tangos for one person to handle. Not impossible, as I made it without respawn, but 1 guy on foot killing 46 people is far from a realistic scenario. I realize there might be problem with AI squadmates, as for the purpose of the story - they would need to be invincible and invincible bullet-spongey squadmates are not ideal. But for me it would be a lesser evil. Would be great to allow them to recieve damage to some extend, but instead of them dying they'd fall unconscious with unlimited bleedout (or with bleed out time, but failing to revive sqadmate would cause the mission to fail) and you would need to revive them.

Second issue is the respawn.

If it can't be replaced with save system, it really needs to be more limited. Respawn with gear you had on you in the time of death is a must. Number of respawns should be limited too. 1 respawn for an objective maybe?

Other than those issues. I need to express that voice overs, cutscenes and animations were great so far. Tanoa is amazing and I gave in a lot of play-hours allready. So even with the campaign beiing not ideal, I'm not sorry I bought it.

• Like 2

I'm waiting for BIS or community to do what .kju said on the last page before I touch the campaign. Campaign with respawns and "unlimited equipment" doesn't sound Arma to me.

• Like 1

Could you explain could snatch a tank in Bingo Fuel? I know the mission is considered the hardest of the East Wind campaign, and I imagine it is due to the fact infantry vs. armor is always favored to armor, especially considering the mission has at least four armored vehicles against your squad.

Not really the right topic, I'll try to be brief. West of the village with all the AAF, just south of the main road are a few hills. There's an AAF repair truck at some ruins and a Mora IFV on the hill close-by. It's facing east, I believe. If you got a demo charge, you can sneak up to the tank's rear and place it without being noticed. Set it off, it will do just enough damage to get the crew to dismount. Mow down the crew, then get the AAF repair truck to repair the damaged tank - et voilà, your very own Mora IFV. Makes the mission a ton easier, especially if you manage to preserve it.

• Like 1

I'd like to edit these missions slightly but I cannot seem to find them anywhere for the life of me

I thought the whole idea of the Co op WAS to introduce new players to the campaign show them them another side of arma? Hell I play mp alot so was looking forward to the mixture. imaging the best of intense arma3 campaign playing with some friends or random guys.

Change is good when it makes things better Mr Marston-Red dead

but the whole campaign just got a dumb down . sacrificed to give training wheels and hand holding gameplay to introduce new players. And show them the exact same forgettable casual gameplay they would be used to from a billion other fps games.

It had potential to be something much deeper not just to appease long time fans but be a landmark to be talked about by players from all the Arma the different game types I play.

A mission were spec team you and players and police do a raid taking place on a drugs plantation that is funding the island terrorists. You get to use drones to gather Intel. you engage kill terrorists. It goes wrong some of the cops get kidnapped. You as the Co op spec team begged by the police force to help. have the option to now deviate from original plan and go help the local police force save their fellow officers. Or chase down marked cartel member who escaped instead. scene of plantation burning

Thats a way to give life mod players a sense of home within the campaign just using the mission itself . And still be enjoyable for all.

It's clearly too late for all that now and guess that's were the community come in to shore up the lacklustre part of campaign.

You know, this post kind of made me realize Bohemia has not really tried to ever focus on police/counterterrorist efforts in their games, despite leaving assets for them in at least two games.

Take on Helicopters had a mission where you worked on a SWAT raid, and ArmA III only had a fire drill mission with a hostage scenario. Apex now has a faction (Gendarmerie) focused on them, and yet they're just..there.

If they wanted to make a more casual co-op campaign, I think using the police faction as the base would have made more sense. They're focused on "low-tier" weaponry, much like Syndikat is. It would probably have had better room to justify cops respawning without lore issues when compared to a small team of special forces.

By the way guys, do you remember this old, crappy game from 15 years ago called Operation Flashpoint? You know the winner of dozens of GOTY awards in a year of Halo and Max Payne.

It had this campaign called Cold War Crisis, which had mandatory 1 save per mission and no respawns whatsoever. It even took more than one session to complete and you could've failed missions in it. Truly scary! But not as scary as a variety of missions inside it - anything but 4 men ELITE TIER1 OPERATOR. Things were even worse since it didn't have unkillable team leaders.

Apparently it was so unaccessible that a puny million people bought the game. In 2001. In an age where multiplayer gaming was still mostly limited to LAN and internet with a good ping was a thing available to the chosen few.

So unaccessible it even had an XBox version where people played it with a gamepad of all things!

I mean the situation was so bad no wonder that game didn't help its devstudio make a couple sequels, buy a couple studios and even produce a military grade simulator out of it.

Good thing Bohemia Interactive is keen on not repeating the clear failure of inaccessibility that was that crappy CWC campaign. Wonder how any of us even gotten into their games until Apex Protocol came and saved the day.

Clearly ArmA can't be ArmA in the age of immense popularity of Dark Souls with its invasions, survival games and roguelikes getting their second life.

• Like 10

Good thing Bohemia Interactive is keen on not repeating the clear failure of inaccessibility that was that crappy CWC campaign. Wonder how any of us even gotten into their games until Apex Protocol came and saved the day.

Clearly ArmA can't be ArmA in the age of immense popularity of Dark Souls with its invasions, survival games and roguelikes getting their second life.

The witcher 3 death March, more recently Fallout 4 adding survival mode.

I play a vast range of missions on ArmA. From patrol ops, invade annex, hardcore mil sim, wasteland, warfare pvp,exile, Hell even got the original ArmA gold to play the original founding life mod. All these mission types. They all have consequences . Making stupid decisions get you killed /caught /arrested or consequences for your friends playing with you.. You loose all them cool weapons gear that you bought or scavenged when you act carless. None in campaign at all.

And it's not just the infinite respawns and loadouts casual approach.

The campaign is shallow. the missions. Ambush this convoy ok this could be interesting hmm. check this dirt path??? I get it you wanted to show off the awesome plane wreck in the jungle but such a lazily execution of this.

Zero consequences, zero consideration needed,zero real challenge , bingo fooks given.

Look for me it feels rushed. It's gonna be fun for a blaze through Co op but mostly coz playing with people is generally fun most times, not that my mp experience on it was any good (nobody got revived thanks to too short a timer and not being able to drag them away from their position being shot up). No real woe didn't see that coming from story or in game play.overall instantly forgettable. And for people who will play single player. I feel they are going to lose out the most. It's just a damn shame.

• Like 2

I realize there might be problem with AI squadmates, as for the purpose of the story - they would need to be invincible and invincible bullet-spongey squadmates are not ideal. But for me it would be a lesser evil. Would be great to allow them to recieve damage to some extend, but instead of them dying they'd fall unconscious....

Im probably the least talented, semi retarded guy in Mission Editing and Scripting and even I can think of at least 10 low cost alternatives to keeping a story going without making AI either invincible or worse, flat out removing them. For starters generic code names and swat style radio voices can do wonders for squaddies and reinforcements alike.

• Like 1

Disagree here:

ACR campaign wasn't accessible at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

hmmm...it had some very good and interesting missions ...even some cool police ( using the dog) and rescue ( flooded town) missions which I really enjoyed :) ...the takistan missions also were pretty good

• Like 1

I remember, it was pleasantly surprised. The companies in OFP had different final plots. At first I played, I had no idea that there is a continuation of the company. Everything depends as the main mission will be complete. It was interesting.
I understood everything. All wait in the company of the general Guba. :)
Perhaps I am mistaken, but our experience in this series of game, it is impossible to surprise with any plot. :)
I liked a new view on the company.
More events in the company more options of arsenal \garage are necessary.

Sorry if I came off rude before.

While I personally don't enjoy gameplay mechanics of the campaign I don't mean to bash the devs. I must admit that overall presentation is very good for Arma game. Good voice acting, nice cutscenes and nice laptop animations, nice music and some missions had nice cinematic moments by mixing (weather, particle effects, music etc), some intresting dialogue.

The guys that made laptop animations and cutscenes did a fantastic job and ofcourse everyone who worked on Tanoe itself did splendid job.

But yeah the campaign itself is not my cup of tea

So seeing these production values I really hope that BIS makes atleast 1 more good old classic arma campaign for A3

• Like 2