Sign in to follow this  
lecks

Windows Dedicated Server - Headless Clients disconnect when mission starts

We're having major issues getting headless clients working on a Windows dedicated server. It used to work, and unfortunately I can't say when exactly it stopped working. Nothing we're doing has changed from our perspective other than regular game and mod updates.

The server is running Windows Server 2008 R2. Xeon E3-1230, 16gb ram.

To test, I've kept everything as simple as possible. I've installed a copy of arma server from scratch using:

F:\Tools\SteamCMD\steamcmd.exe +login STEAMUSERNAME +force_install_dir F:\Arma3\ASORTestServer +"app_update 233780 -beta" validate +quit
I then copied the config from Werthless Headless Kit ( http://pastebin.com/raw/a9SmbupP ) to the folder, and set up 2 .bat files.

startserver.bat
arma3server.exe -config=WerthlesHeadless_config.cfg -profiles=TestServer
starthc.bat
arma3server.exe -client -profiles=TestHC  -connect=localhost -port=2302 -password=arma
Then to make the missions, I simply placed a couple of headless client virtual entities (and uniquely named them ODEN and THOR) and some units, and made everything playable, then exported to multiplayer (with both Eden and 2D editors):

I put those files in MPMissions on the server, and starting the mission, this happens:
The headless clients appear to work until you click continue on the map screen, at which point their symbol turns back to an hourglass.

The missionEventHandler HandleConnect is triggered for HC(s) when the map screen is active (before the mission starts). HandleDisconnect is triggered when continue is clicked to start the mission.

Nothing is shown in the logs that indicates an issue

From the 'lobby', the HCs still appear to be in their slot.

The headless clients (ODEN and THOR) are local to the server (owner = 2), so nothing can be transferred to them.

If I 'kick' the headless clients, their Icon reappears as an hourglass while it's loading, then switches to the headless client icon for 2 seconds, then back to the hourglass (as if it connects and then gets kicked somewhere along the lines).

Have tried
  • Running everything as admin.
  • Disabling firewall.
  • Deleting/renaming profiles.
  • Renaming HCs.
  • vanilla .exe and performance v6 .exe.
  • No mods.
  • Fresh server install.
  • With/Without Battleye.
  • Adding External IP to headlessclients/localclients in config.
  • Running the HC and Server from separate folders.
  • Testing the mission on someone elses (thanks longbow) similarly set up server (worked).
  • Using the above's config file on our server (didn't work).

Totally stumped.. desperately seeking any suggestions.

Problem turned out to be Steam running on the server for another game. Closing Steam fixed it.

Ugh... I bet you needed a stiff drink after figuring that one out  :lol:

Yeah.. I work in tech support, so I felt more than a bit stupid when realizing I could've just turned it off and on again and it would've worked.

At least the next guy to do it won't have to try everything I did.

• Like 2