HeroesandvillainsOS

[ALiVE, SP/COOP 1-20] Inshallah [Insurgency]

23 minutes ago, domokun said:

Quality mate. This'll make it really easy to get my squad onto your missions.

Just one remark, in the meta tags for "Scenario Gameplay", you might want to replace "multiplayer" with "coop" as it'll be more accurate and help your missions better stand out from the crowd.

Take it easy

Ah good point. I'll change that as soon as I can.

Regarding the 3CB logistics object, it does EXACTLY what I had hoped! I'll try to update the missions tonight. You can load your vehicle with anything you want. Literally just select the mortar, for example, and you'll have everything you need loaded in the back of your truck.

I love the L16 mortar myself, because you can use the artillery computer (I like simple things). So basically, to use the mortar, just make sure you put your guns down (I think you need to be unarmed to assemble the mortar, because it comes in two pieces, tube and tripod), place down the mortar tripod. Grab the tube, walk to the tripod then you'll get an option to assemble the full mortar. Then grab some ammo, then walk to the mortar and you'll get an option to "prep" the shells (written in red). Prep the round you have on you (I like the HE shells). Reload the mortar, hop in as driver of the mortar, then blow the enemy away. YEAH.

Logistics areas inbound!

ALiVE won't get a release post today. It's ready, so hopefully tomorrow. You can grab the update on their GitHub if you can't wait for BI and Steam releases: https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/releases

Grr cancel the parade. New ALiVE release causes infinite loading screen on my mission. I know which fix causes it, now just need to figure out which module in my mission(s) need to be replaced. 

Sigh...

Oh boy, there goes my weekend!  

Is it OK to use the updated Alive or will it cause issue with your current work?  I've been deep into Battle of Sangin and Fata since I found your missions, just wondering if it's a good time to start over with the new ALive?

Also, would you suggest the Steam versions of your missions, PBO, or no difference?

One more question; which is your favorite?  As I stated, I've been playing Sangin and Fata, which are fantastic.  Just wondering if I should give Inshallah a go or one of the many other of your insurgency type missions?  Been waiting to get into Lythium with the new Alive system...now a good time to do so?

Thanks for the fantastic work.  My fav long term campaigns!

Good day!

DrDetroit

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Oh boy, there goes my weekend!  

Is it OK to use the updated Alive or will it cause issue with your current work?  I've been deep into Battle of Sangin and Fata since I found your missions, just wondering if it's a good time to start over with the new ALive?

Also, would you suggest the Steam versions of your missions, PBO, or no difference?

One more question; which is your favorite?  As I stated, I've been playing Sangin and Fata, which are fantastic.  Just wondering if I should give Inshallah a go or one of the many other of your insurgency type missions?  Been waiting to get into Lythium with the new Alive system...now a good time to do so?

Thanks for the fantastic work.  My fav long term campaigns!

Good day!

DrDetroit

I figured out which modules need deleting and replacing. It's the custom objective modules. Making my way through updating everything as we speak (about halfway through).

It may be best to wait until official release on the forums/Steam to play these, in the event Highhead (ALiVE dev) has to do something that breaks these again.

My favorite mission really depends on what map I feel like playing on. I find myself playing the smaller maps the most (Sangin, FATA, Takistan) and not as often the larger ones (Reshmaan, Lythium...though Lythium is gorgeous, and the next ALiVE release fixes the index, so I may play that next). 

Larger maps are harder to balance too. So if you ever feel there's too much or not enough enemies over a long persistent save, let me know for sure.

Back to the editor. :(

• Like 1

@HeroesandvillainsOS hello your mission looks interesting but sadly here name is offensive and  using it may look insulting to me  as Muslim 1st and Tunisian 2nd, In sha Allah means god willing and has nothing to do with terrorist  ... you should have kept religion out of the game 

Oh @drdetroit starting your campaigns over when ALiVE releases is mandatory. Not only due to the scope of the update, but I also changed mods from Project OPFOR to CUP for the 3CB ones.

If it's easier, the standalone PBO's might be best because you can rename them to start them over. But if you like Steam go ahead, just run the code I posted in the first post from any SP setting in the esc menu. Easiest would be placing a player down in the editor and clicking play, then esc, then running the code. I'd personally also recommend running it with Wipe at the end instead of Clear, in this case, because that will reset them all in one shot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mootaz23 said:

@HeroesandvillainsOS hello your mission looks interesting but sadly here name is offensive and  using it may look insulting to me  as Muslim 1st and Tunisian 2nd, In sha Allah means god willing and has nothing to do with terrorist  ... you should have kept religion out of the game 

Ok I'll bite. I know what it means. I wouldn't have used the title if I didn't. 

I have various reasons for choosing this name, and it's probably not for the reasons you think. But I won't go into it, because it's irrelevant. 

By all means, if you are sensitive to this topic, I understand if you'd prefer not to play it. I won't be changing the mission name. Just be advised, I make no proclamation on any religion in any facet, either here in the forums, or the mission itself. 

• Like 1

Updates. Updates all around! :)

All missions I host on Steam, as well as their Dropbox PBO's, should now be compatible with the next/Github ALiVE release, barring anything they may need to do to fix the issue I discovered. All 3CB missions now have a "Logistics Station," marked on the map at the main bases (most missions have 2-3 main bases), where you can change ground vehicle storage items.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

All 3CB missions now have a "Logistics Station," marked on the map at the main bases (most missions have 2-3 main bases), where you can change ground vehicle storage items.

I played Sangin for awhile today and it certainly is an improvement.  Much more insurgent activity, and not having to blow up IED and armories is an added bonus.  I notice a ton of air activity too...although I need to locate the AA threat that kept taking out the Merlins.  

Anyhow, my Coyote had run out of ammo and tried to resupply at the logistics station, but even after loading up with proper ammo belts for the HMGs, I was still out of ammo.  What's the procedure for adding ammo and fuel to the vehicles?

Thanks again!

DrDetroit

25 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I played Sangin for awhile today and it certainly is an improvement.  Much more insurgent activity, and not having to blow up IED and armories is an added bonus.  I notice a ton of air activity too...although I need to locate the AA threat that kept taking out the Merlins.  

Anyhow, my Coyote had run out of ammo and tried to resupply at the logistics station, but even after loading up with proper ammo belts for the HMGs, I was still out of ammo.  What's the procedure for adding ammo and fuel to the vehicles?

Thanks again!

DrDetroit

Oh good I'm glad you're having fun with the mission and that you appreciate the balancing adjustments. Regarding the Coyote, the 3CB team said that by default, vehicle weapons will be set as in a safety mode, and that you'll need to toggle the firemode (F key I think) for users to be able to fire. I haven't tried it yet though.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, because you did say it had ammo and that you ran out (so I assume you must have already fired some rounds?). Generally, I would rearm at the vehicle resupply center. But I guess it's a fair question, because you changed the ammo completely at the logistics center. Are you positive you grabbed the correct belts? 

I'll take a look later on. I didn't have any time to mess with this logistics feature at all yet, aside from verifying how it worked. Can you try toggling your firemode and making sure this isn't simply the a case of the safety being on?

54 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Oh good I'm glad you're having fun with the mission and that you appreciate the balancing adjustments. Regarding the Coyote, the 3CB team said that by default, vehicle weapons will be set as in a safety mode, and that you'll need to toggle the firemode (F key I think) for users to be able to fire. I haven't tried it yet though.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, because you did say it had ammo and that you ran out (so I assume you must have already fired some rounds?). Generally, I would rearm at the vehicle resupply center. But I guess it's a fair question, because you changed the ammo completely at the logistics center. Are you positive you grabbed the correct belts? 

I'll take a look later on. I didn't have any time to mess with this logistics feature at all yet, aside from verifying how it worked. Can you try toggling your firemode and making sure this isn't simply the a case of the safety being on?

Typically I'll take a Coyote and LR out with an 8man squad.  I'll drive vehicle one with 3 AI squad mates, and #2 AI will drive vehicle #2 with the rest...following me in line formation.  Anyhow, the AI will man the weapons and deploy them when necessary - usually getting back to camp empty.

I'm fairly certain I grabbed the proper ammo, as there is really only one type of belt for the 7.62 HMGs on the rigs.  I even grabbed the entire load-out which also had 7.62 ammo cans and 8X belts (both) and still no joy - guns remained empty.    

I'll mess around with it later tonight, I must be missing a keystroke somewhere.  Gotta take the wife out for dinner, then back to business in Sangin...thank God for those Housewife shows and Below Deck, I can disappear while she indulges.

Thanks again.  Really well done tweaks...the mission were really good before, now just better balancing and acticvity.  I can hear a lot going on all over the map with gunfire, explosions...looking forward to further game play.

• Like 1

lol I just got out of a relationship but yeah man, when Once Upon a Time would come on, that was always great because I'd have uninterupted game time. That was always really sweet. :)

I think the easiest test would be to place a player in a Coyote, a servicing object and a logistics object down in the editor, and first see when you spawn if you can fire (make sure to toggle fire mode. It's the same key you'd toggle firing mode with your rifle).

If so, empty the rounds (fire until it's empty). Then drive to the logistics object and add more rounds to the Coyote and see if it can fire. If not, it's probably a 3CB bug (or a question they can answer). Then do the same test, only with a different round when you add new rounds (if possible).

Then, if the above test fails, run the same test from the beginning (empty the rounds in the Coyote), then first go to the servicing object and rearm (confirm to make sure you can fire again after rearming). Then go to the logistics object and change rounds.

Gonna guess here, if fire mode isn't the issue, that maybe being empty and trying to use the logistics object might be the problem (if there is a problem)?

I can run a few tests at some point, but doubtful it will be today. The 3CB team is awesome and super kind and always eager to answer questions. If you feel confident it's a 3CB issue or 3CB point of confusion, definitely don't hesitate to ask in their vehicles thread.

• Like 1

Updated. With today's CUP Units update, which added CUP Takistani civilians directly into their mod, I've removed the standalone Taki Civs dependency from all my CUP insurgencies (Inshallah, Prophet, Battle of Sangin, Battle of FATA and Battle of Lythium).

• Like 3

Hello Hero,

How are ya? Hope all is good. Do you have any ALiVE mission in middle east with US forces? I can't seem to find one ...

Cheers

45 minutes ago, Riksen said:

Hello Hero,

How are ya? Hope all is good. Do you have any ALiVE mission in middle east with US forces? I can't seem to find one ...

Cheers

Kinda. On my Workshop page (link in my signature), I have a short op on Thirsk Winter (not Middle East obviously, but is US) where you need to destroy a few towers, and a hostage rescue mission on Zargabad you could try. For full map persistent ops, I have one on CLAFGHAN, but the only reason I haven’t changed it to something else or put it on Steam is because last I checked, the map crashes with ALiVE stable on init (fix is in dev version though).

But otherwise I made the decision to drop RHS in my counter-insurgency missions because, well, it just has too many issues to be enjoyable IMO. From their implementation of their own group types (which means constant babysitting on ALiVE’s side...a lot of which I’ve done myself), to units not using their launchers and lots of other odd stuff, not to mention Project OPFOR which is a mess as well, I personally prefer things working, and respecting the player’s time, and you can’t beat 3CB and CUP for that IMO.

Though feel free to edit any of my ops in any way you’d like.

I’ll consider some additional US ops, probably using CUP or Project Zenith when it comes out or something, but any ops I do in the near future, unless a new amazing map comes out or I think of one, will be smaller in scale (single objective ops). AuTigerGrad’s Univited Guests mission is a good example of the kind of things I want to make.

Though my feelings on mission making change daily so you never know. I may do another full map op, like Nam, or Battle of Fallujah when it comes out (or even regular Fallujah) or something, but tough to say.

Thxs for the response Hero! I downloaded all of them now, even the british forces ones, and gonna give them a try, but knowking your skills and impecable mission editor track record, I know its going to be amazing :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Riksen said:

Thxs for the response Hero! I downloaded all of them now, even the british forces ones, and gonna give them a try, but knowking your skills and impecable mission editor track record, I know its going to be amazing :)

Yeah thanks I do my best. :) There are a couple of small-ish ALiVE issues I just caught (and reported), but all in all they should be relatively enjoyable examples of ALiVE’s various modes for sure. 

Have fun man and its good to see you on the forums again.

• Like 1

Hmm for whatever reason the CUP Terrains update changed the mission start time to near dusk which is not how I had it. Decided to set it to 11 AM. Updated.

• Like 1

We love playing this mission, we tweaked it a bit so that we get a chance of reviving our pals.  However we keep getting an error coming up when first running the game on our server.  It normally takes 2-3 attempts to get the mission running

q1Dk394.jpg

Would there be an easy fix to resolve this issue?

4 hours ago, Normal Norm said:

We love playing this mission, we tweaked it a bit so that we get a chance of reviving our pals.  However we keep getting an error coming up when first running the game on our server.  It normally takes 2-3 attempts to get the mission running

q1Dk394.jpg

Would there be an easy fix to resolve this issue?

I just reported this to the 3CB team a few days back. They said they’d look into it. Bummer it’s giving you connection issues. For me, when loading in the editor, I have no problem connecting but maybe this error is more severe in MP environments. That sucks.

If I get a chance I’ll ask the 3CB team which asset(s) this is from. My best guess is a truck of some kind that the new Arma update doesn’t like (the error is new).

Hey, what are you using for revive? Is it just for players or does it work with AI too?

On 9/15/2017 at 12:03 PM, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Ok, I have 10 missions over on Workshop now. 2 missions that aren't on BI Forums (yet. One is a CBA/ALiVE only showcase on Tanoa, the other is a very simple in-and-out mission on Thirsk Winter)

Hello HaV!

In regards to the Alive Tanoa showcase - pretty cool campaign so far - quick question about it.  As there is no thread here for that campaign in this forum, I figured I'd post here, instead of Steam.

The SP Alive save seems functional in your Tanoa Showcase campaign; are there any issues with persistence using Alive saves in SP?  I know that typically with your dynamic campaigns, you always suggest SP to be played in MP with Alive server saves - just wondering the change with this one.  There is no Spyder addon, so can't recruit or equip in MP/SP for solo play.  

Also, if I wanted to add Spyder's addon to MP, so I can recruit/equip in MP for solo play, do I just add and sync it to something in the editor?  If SP Alive saves are trouble free in this campaign, I might want to add Spyder in SP mode as well, so I can recruit and equip my team as required.  This would just be for my solo play - obviously would not share/release.

I just started playing your Tanoa campaign, and want to do a long term persistent solo playthrough.  So, if any issues or tips, let me know.

Thanks for your tremendous work HaV.  Been playing your stuff exclusively for awhile now (currently deep into October Skies, 3.5 in-game days - Battle of Sangin, Inshallah as well), I think your campaigns are that good - probably the best dynamic/persistent campaigns out there.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas HaV!!

DrDetroit

• Like 1

@drdetroit Hey Merry Xmas to you too! 

Yeah good idea, TBH I don’t play the Tanoa campaign nearly as much as I thought I would because IMO Spyder Addons adds so so much that without it, something feels off. No ambient traffic is a major one for me. There’s also less easy recruitment without it (you basically need to make a logistics request, set them to join your group, then wait for delivery), and some other really cool things. 

I’ve been meaning to add it in at least for myself (the idea was to release a dependency free showcase) but I haven’t had the time. For recruitment, place the module down and sync it to an object. Then either put BLU_T_F to be recruited as faction, or if you’d rather just write the unit classnames from the Recon dudes to the classnames override instead if you only want to be able to recruit spec ops guys.

Then for ambience, place the module and set your parameters. This module requires classnames and doesn’t accept faction names at all. This will take a bit of time. But basically you’ll want to add the classnames to each override assuming you want all the features. Civ vehicle’s, civs, and enemies inside vehicles. 

So open up a blank notepad document, place a unit down in the editor (let’s say for civs), right click on the civ, select I believe it’s the “log” option, then select the one to copy the classname. Open your notepad document, and paste and the classname should paste. Then do it for the next Tanoan civ, paste it and make sure they are separated by a comma with no spaces, and do this until all Tanoan civs are in your document and paste that I the civilian classname override. 

Do the same for civ vehicles and for enemy units too if you want a chance for enemies inside vehicles.

If you want Loadout Manager, place the module and sync it to any object.

When playing in SP, the saving works exactly the same as it does in MP. Server save and exit. I generally just recommend MP now because you can’t respawn in SP. In SP when you die you die.

I’ve been playing Battle of Sangin and am having a blast. Though I noticed ALiVE Advanced Markers aren’t persisting. I’ll try to see if I can figure out why.

Anyway thanks for reaching out and feel free to post back if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

@drdetroit Hey I just checked and if you do actually play in SP (remember if you do there is no respawning) Highhead must’ve have changed it from server save and exit to ALiVE SP save or something. It’s in the same place on the right side in the esc menu.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

@drdetroit Hey I just checked and if you do actually play in SP (remember if you do there is no respawning) Highhead must’ve have changed it from server save and exit to ALiVE SP save or something. It’s in the same place on the right side in the esc menu.

I did notice that as well.  I took a CSAT airbase, logistics sent troops to reinforced it, did a SP ALiVE save, and it was persistent upon the following game play.  Very cool!  I'm really enjoying your Tanoa Showcase - you should post up a thread for it.

• Like 1