HeroesandvillainsOS

[ALiVE, SP/COOP 1-20] Inshallah [Insurgency]

Hi Hero,

Happy to help - there must have been a few working as I clearly recall getting some supplies somewhere - maybe I was just lucky - ha ha...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Small update. Map Intel has been added (discovered insurgent HQ's will appear briefly on the in-game map but will fade away after 60 seconds or so. Be sure to mark any!). I also made some decorative objects "simple objects" to help boost performance.

And, there's a sweet new header image on the first post! :)

Changelog updated.

• Like 1

Hello,

First I want to say, this is a great mission.  I got it working on a dedicated server and my friend and I are having a great time with it.  I am confused though, what do I have to do to get ASR_AI working with this mission?  I am a little unclear as to how to install it on a dedicated server and get it working.  Do I have to modify my own asr_ai_config.sqf file and upload that?  Or is it already built into the mission somehow?  Is there a specific configuration that you recommend I use?  Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I am new to running my own server and I really want to get the most out of this mission.  I'm looking forward to trying your other ones as well.  

Appreciate the help.  

I'm glad you and your friend are having fun!

The way I use ASR AI is, I launch it on the client (so you and your friend and everyone connecting would need to launch it in their mod line) and I also launch it on the server. I personally prefer to use the default settings so all you need to do is just run ASR AI on all clients and server and the mod will do the rest all by itself.

I make these missions not only for advanced users, but especially for newcomers as well. Any questions you have, no matter how mundane they seem are completely welcome. Arma and ALiVE can be a bit confusing, especially for newer players, so feel free to ask here or PM me any time you're not sure on something.

Let me know if how I described the usage for ASR AI isn't making sense and I'll do my best to break it down better for you. Long story short, have everyone connecting use it, like they would any other mod, and have the server use it as well and you're good.

Thanks for the quick response, I added -file patching to the server command line and that did the trick!  I knew it was working when we immediately got killed lol.  It really adds to the mission.  I've also noticed that the UAZ's are often floating a couple of feet above the ground when I am playing, though it isn't happening for my friend; any idea what might be causing that?  I'm not sure which mod is providing that vehicle, maybe if I reinstall it?  

And since I'm here, how do supply drops work exactly?  I'm using the ALiVE tablet, specify which helicopter, what equipment to drop, etc.  The helicopter shows up and does a quick touchdown/takeoff but doesn't drop anything, but the pilot confirms the drop off in chat.  I'm probably missing something but not sure what.  Dropping reinforcements is working great.  

What a cool mission.  We are anxiously awaiting suicide bombers and IED's, played for a few hours tonight so I am sure they are coming.  Feruz Abad is a nightmare! :)  

Thanks again for the hard work.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response, I added -file patching to the server command line and that did the trick! I knew it was working when we immediately got killed lol. It really adds to the mission.

Unless you're using a custom userconfig, -filepatching isn't necessary to use the default ASR AI settings. I don't think it would cause any harm using it in your server line though. Think of it this way: when ASR AI is run on the server and all clients, just like you would use any other mod, default values are used. -filepatching is only necessary if you want the server to run custom difficulty ASR AI settings.

I've also noticed that the UAZ's are often floating a couple of feet above the ground when I am playing, though it isn't happening for my friend; any idea what might be causing that? I'm not sure which mod is providing that vehicle, maybe if I reinstall it?

Hmmm. I haven't seen that myself. Would these be Taliban vehicles with drivers in them and with a mounted gun? Or empty ones maybe sitting outside of houses that look more "decorative?" Definitely no pressure, but if you ever want to take a screenshot that might help me isolate the issue. Though I find it strange your friend doesn't see them floating when you do. I'm really not sure what to make of that TBH.

And since I'm here, how do supply drops work exactly? I'm using the ALiVE tablet, specify which helicopter, what equipment to drop, etc. The helicopter shows up and does a quick touchdown/takeoff but doesn't drop anything, but the pilot confirms the drop off in chat. I'm probably missing something but not sure what. Dropping reinforcements is working great.

This is an unfortunate ALiVE bug at the moment. The ALiVE Devs are aware so all we can do is wait for a fix. In the meantime, I encourage you to call in air drops instead.

What a cool mission. We are anxiously awaiting suicide bombers and IED's, played for a few hours tonight so I am sure they are coming. Feruz Abad is a nightmare! :)

Thanks again for the hard work.

Hey thanks for the kind words! Suicide bombers/VBIED's/IED's can occasionally take quite some time to start occurring as the insurgents establish their strongholds . Every once in a while I'll encounter a VBIED pretty early on, but for example, I'm working on a new mission now and after 3 1/2 hours, I haven't encountered anything the has exploded really. Only friendly civs armed with weapons and explosives, but they're friendly enough to not detonate themselves. Yet.

I can always adjust this portion if needed so definitely let me know. But personally, I'd prefer not to unless you literally encounter nothing of the sort up until around the 10 hour mark or further (I know. I know. Insurgencies are a slow burn and these missions are designed for long term persistent play. If suicide bombers/IED's/VBIED's were prominent early on, the insurgency would likely be insurmountable and the mission would eventually be impossible to beat. It's all about striking a balance. I feel pretty good about what I've done here but I certainly don't mind re-balancing the mission if needed. Keep me posted).

The UAZ's that float so far have only been the ones with no mounted gun.  It happens maybe 50% of the time, or a little less.  If I get in the driver's seat it drops to the ground and behaves normally.  I will try to get a screenshot if it happens again.  

This is my first time playing an ALiVE mission, all of the features really are as good as everyone has been saying.  I like the pacing of the insurgency, we're not always getting overrun but it is very tense at times.  So far our ROE's have been shoot anyone with a weapon; are there friendly civilian defense forces that we should be aware of?  

• Like 1

The UAZ's that float so far have only been the ones with no mounted gun. It happens maybe 50% of the time, or a little less. If I get in the driver's seat it drops to the ground and behaves normally. I will try to get a screenshot if it happens again.

I'm not exactly sure what vehicles you are talking about. Would these be in one of the British bases or just randomly out and about out in the field? I can't think of any unarmed vehicles offhand aside from civilian vehicles or maybe possibly some of the high command ones, but based on your description, I don't think you're talking about those.

I certainly can try to fix that for you but it would help me out if I either had a better description of where the vehicles are, or what vehicle type it is (example: At the northern Royal Marines bases, near where we spawn, etc etc). The odd thing is, you say your friend is not seeing it so I can't really say with any certainty what the problem might be. I'll certainly look into it though and fix it ASAP if I can figure out the cause.

This is my first time playing an ALiVE mission, all of the features really are as good as everyone has been saying. I like the pacing of the insurgency, we're not always getting overrun but it is very tense at times. So far our ROE's have been shoot anyone with a weapon; are there friendly civilian defense forces that we should be aware of?

Sort of. But don't count on it. In my time with ALiVE insurgencies, I've never seen the civilians turn on the insurgents but it technically is possible. Basically, as you play, the civilians will have low/medium/high animosity towards you and towards the insurgents. If they hate you, they easily get recruited by the Taliban and make your job much harder. If they hate the Taliban, according to the ALiVE Devs, the civilians can and will turn on them and attack them. For balancing purposes, the start values are low for both sides. So although you could certainly encounter this as time progresses, I wouldn't rely on this helping you out.

Your best bet is to talk to the civilians (the town elders, etc) and generally make a presence as often as possible. And obviously don't kill them as all this keeps them relatively happy with you. But no, they can't be recruited to form a resistance or anything. That said, there is a new script available that lets you play as an undercover civilian, which will also let you form a civilian resistance, but I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet and see whether or not it could add another fun element to the mission or not. I'll try it out and see if it has a place here but realistivally, I have a new mission in mind for this kind of gameplay actually.

Inshallah/Prophet/The Beginning of the End/a new one I'm releasing soon, are all designed to replicate the western occupation of Afghanistan circa 2010-ish. You know, long patrols, destroying insurgent resources, killing Taliban and taking each village back one by one. It's by far my favorite kind of mission and it never ever gets old to me. Some nights I go an hour with a while lotta nothing, other nights I'm pinned down for ages and ages and fighting for my life like a scene out of a movie! It's the best. I'm happy you're enjoying this aspect and keep me posted if you have any requests, any questions for how to play, or any bug reports and thanks for the feedback! :)

C006Q5T.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the floating UAZ-3151.  This is the only vehicle that floats, still can't figure out why.  It only seems to be this specific vehicle type/color, and it doesn't float from my friend's perspective.  If I get in the driver's seat it drops to the ground and behaves normally.

Also, we found a few IED's last night, or should I say they found us lol.  

• Like 1

Weird!

Those are decorative civilian vehicles. Long story short, in the editor, my only options are either to let them spawn, or to not let them spawn. This is an ambient feature developed by ALiVE so I can't really fix this, per say. My only choices are to allow it or not, and tell it which faction's vehicles to use.

Would you prefer I leave it as is or remove it? Your call as it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I have a small update planned for tonight so keep me posted and thanks for the photo.

EDIT: What's going on with the weather in that photo? Is it overcast/rainy or maybe it just looks that way and it's just near nightfall?

I'd hate to get rid of all the ambient vehicles, so I can live with it if there is not a way to just remove that specific one.  The weather is overcast/rainy, sometime around midday.  I really like the dynamic weather system.  

I learned my lesson yesterday about saving/exiting the mission when located in a town outside the base; upon login I was about 20m from a Taliban roadblock in a huge shootout with a friendly patrol!  I see in the commander tablet that you can set up static defenses, do you just add them to a resupply convoy and they set up wherever you designate on the map?  

I'd hate to get rid of all the ambient vehicles, so I can live with it if there is not a way to just remove that specific one. The weather is overcast/rainy, sometime around midday. I really like the dynamic weather system.

I learned my lesson yesterday about saving/exiting the mission when located in a town outside the base; upon login I was about 20m from a Taliban roadblock in a huge shootout with a friendly patrol! I see in the commander tablet that you can set up static defenses, do you just add them to a resupply convoy and they set up wherever you designate on the map?

Good to know on the rainy weather! I added Dynamic Weather back a month or so ago using an arid, middle eastern preset. I've yet to see rain or overcast like that myself so that's pretty cool to see!

Regarding the ambient vehicles, technically I do have another choice. I can't limit a vehicle type, but I can just change the faction completely (the floating vehicle is from Project OPFOR). But my choices, such as vanilla civ vehicles, wouldn't really fit the setting too well. When I go into edit the mission later, I'll replace the module that controls the vehicle spawns just incase that helps. But I have a feeling we have an elevation/map issue here so there's not much I can do about that.

I just find it odd it only happens to you and not your friend. I really don't know what to make of that. My best guess would be server strain but I don't see how that would be possible here. I'll mull it over and try some things and hopefully put out a very minor update later (for unrelated reasons. I just need to make some minor edits).

Yeah, as a rule of thumb, I always return to one of my bases to server save and exit. That's where all the supplies and AI would be so it makes very little sense to save out in the field unless you absolutely have to (when my online unit plays, sometimes guys have to log off mid mission and have no choice. But otherwise, we RTB and then player save and server save respectively).

About static defense, yes you have that correct. This is the option I use after I take over an area and want my side to hold it. So generally speaking, after I've cleared an important village, I'll call in CAS to clean up any stragglers and use the static reinforce option to make sure the Taliban can't easily take the village back under their control.

If I need help during a firefight, I'll call in units to "reinforce" and sometimes to "join player group" if all my AI are dead or mostly dead. I use that in tandem with the "objectives" option in the commander tablet, where I also sometimes force friendly groups to assist me in battle if they are in the neighborhood. You do this by clicking on "objectives," "BLUFOR objectives," then clicking on the unit on the map. Clear their waypoints then make new waypoints and they'll go to wherever you asked them too.

There are other advanced logistics options where you can call in bunkers and static weapons and other materials and whatnot, but I rarely use it myself. Not that I don't find it cool to fortify an area (it is!), but because I rarely think of it when in the heat of the moment. :)

Quality of life update. Highlights include: All helicopter callsigns have been redone to make keeping track of who is who easier, additional manned checkpoints near some 3CB bases, a higher priority being placed on enemy static weapons (enemies should man these more frequently), and further decoration with the Taliban flag at insurgent compounds. Full changelog in the first post.

Major update: Upon request, Burnes Foxhound has been replaced with the most current Burnes Ocelot Foxhound 2.1, HV_Taliban has been updated (both downloads in the first post), and Zeus Game Master has been added for admins. In order for the new download link for the mission to work, the old Foxhound needs to be removed from your mod line and replaced with the new link, and HV_Taliban needs to be redownloaded.

Full changelong inbound.

I hope for this to be the last update that would require a persistent restart. The mission will be continued to be supported. Any requests are welcome.

• Like 1

C006Q5T.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the floating UAZ-3151. This is the only vehicle that floats, still can't figure out why. It only seems to be this specific vehicle type/color, and it doesn't float from my friend's perspective. If I get in the driver's seat it drops to the ground and behaves normally.

Also, we found a few IED's last night, or should I say they found us lol.

Oh cool. If this is what I think it is in the new test version of Project OPFOR:

- Fixed Landrover is no longer floating

Hopefully this addresses that. :) Not sure TBH but it sounds like it. The release isn't on Workshop yet but you can nab it in the Addons and Mods Complete section if you want to try it out (DL link from Keeway is on the last page ATM). I think it might technically be a test release for feedback purposes, but it may be worth trying.

Update. Added FOB Conway, which is a beautiful creation by my man Beatmatch. Thanks buddy. :) It's a wonderful FOB and I appreciate the how well thought out it is!

Minor update. I basically went through and made tons of placed objects simple objects. Even though performance was great already, you can never have enough frames. :)

Update. HV_Taliban and Eric J's Taliban units have been removed as dependencies and replaced with Project OPFOR's new Middle East Milita and Middle Eastern civs.

Hi,

atm I'm trying to get your mission run on a nitrado server and I get the following error:

"ErrorMessage: Data file too short 'C:\SERVICES\ni638293_1_SHARE\ftproot\arma3\@CUP Terrains - Maps\addons\cup_terrains_maps_cain.pbo'. Expected 392388079 B, got 218365952 B"

We're using CUP Terrain Maps and CUP Terrain Core. Now my question, does it matter if we use CUP Terrain complet or CUP Terrain Maps and CUP Terrain Core? And if we have to use CUP Terrain complet, can you tell me where I can get it from? I can't find the complet version anywhere.

Best Regards

Miami Soldier

Hi MiamiSoldier. This mission will require CUP Terrains Core and CUP Terrains Maps. I subscribe to both of them on the Workshop and have both of them loaded when making the mission. 

If your unit prefers the standalone "CUP Terrains Complete," which combines both mods and is available on the CUP Terrains BIS forum page, that should still work fine. But yeah, I use the two Workshop downloads and there is clearly an issue with CUP Terrains for you right now. I'd almost guarantee that's what the error is from.

Can you do me a favor and try loading the mission on your computer in SP or LAN just to see if it loads? I'm not intimately familiar with Nitrado servers but I know they can be finicky.

First we need to figure out if the problem is with your CUP download, or your server. So try loading the mission locally on your PC first so we can narrow the problem down.

And please, while testing this, only use the required mods until we can figure out what the problem is and let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for replying that fast.

Now I feel like an idiot for not trying it in LAN.

I got the following mods running (subscribed to in Steam): 3CB Equipment, Units, Vehicles & Weapons, CBA_A3, CUP Terrains - Core, CUP Terrains - Maps, Spyder Addons, Project OPFOR.

And the following mods downloaded from the Internet: Arma 3: ALiVE, Burnes Foxhound release2.1, RHS Russian Federation and United States.

(And on the server there's also ALiVEserver installed.)

Ok, when I'm starting Arma 3 with the 13 named Mods I get the following Error:

"  Addon 'UK3CB_BAF_Weapons_ACE' requires addon 'ace_common'  "

But I can accept the message and then Arma 3 starts.

I can load the mission in LAN.

After I've choosen a slot I started the mission and when I got to the map (and briefing) I got the following message:

"  No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgPatches.ace_common'.  "

I pressed close and got into the 3d world. Looks like it's working.

So I don't know whats the problem. The next thing I'm gonna try is to delet @CUP Terrains - Maps on the server and reupload it.

If there's anything you can help me with I'd really appreciate it.

And again thanks for creating missions and helping me.

Miami Soldier

Ok so you're getting an ACE error? I mean, that makes no sense. I don't use ACE in this mission and I never ever have.

How odd...

I'll take a look at the mission.sqm later to make sure ACE didn't somehow make it into the requirements. In the meantime, if you have a moment, can you try redownloading the 4 3CB mods and see if that helps?

I'll pop back in here in a few hours after I get out of work and get to poke around the mission.sqm. I don't see how you can be getting ACE errors lol. I'll investigate! :)

Oh, above you said you were subscribed to 3CB on Workshop. Is that correct? 3CB is not on Workshop and if it is, it's not official and might be the source of the problem.

Get them from Armaholic if possible.

And probably best to just subscribe to ALiVE on Workshop. Definitely keep @aliveserver up-to-date from the official ALiVE site, but for the main download, I'd recommend grabbing that on Steam.