HeroesandvillainsOS

[ALiVE, SP/COOP 1-20] Inshallah [Insurgency]

c6AeWQm.jpg

With the insurgent threat in the region rising, US Special Forces embark to Takistan to join the Afghan National Army in eliminating the Taliban.

Although solo play is encouraged, the mission should only be run in LAN or on a local hosted server, which allows you to save and load your progress. 

Features Include:

CAS and logistical support

The full suit of ALiVE features including suicide bombers, IED's and VBIED's

The Muslim Call to Prayer

Ambient civilian traffic

A shooting range with Virtual Arsenal

Multiple bases and outposts to choose from for respawn

Headless client support

Intelligence on dead bodies

Zeus Game Master for Admins

As a traditional ALiVE Insurgency mission, the idea here is to replicate a long-term persistent campaign, going out on patrol, talking to the locals, clearing and holding towns, and destroying the enemy resources. For more insight on how to play, please read the "How to play" section in the mission briefing area. For a more in-depth analysis of what the bells and whistles of an ALiVE Insurgency entails, here is an excellent breakdown from the ALiVE wiki: http://alivemod.com/....php/Insurgency

Mods:

CBA*

ALiVE*

Spyder Addons*

Community Factions Project*

CUP Weapons*

CUP Units*

CUP Vehicles*

CUP Terrains Core, CWA and Maps*

Recommended but not requires:

Advanced Rappelling*

Advanced Towing*

Note: * means I'm currently using the Steam Workshop version of the mod.

Saving your progress: This mission uses a local saving feature, which is accessed in the esc menu and initiated by the "server save and exit" function. To continue your save, simply act as if you're starting the mission over again and your data will load automatically. To start the mission over, change the PBO name or execute "call ALiVE_fnc_ProfileNameSpaceClear" in the debug menu. This mission should only be played on a local hosted server, even if you're playing alone with AI. If you want to play the mission on a dedicated server, for now, unpack the mission, open the Data module, and change the local saving option to "cloud."

Steam Workshop page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=959690876&tscn=1498795007

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwei9pmdup7deh8/Inshallah_CFP.Takistan.pbo?dl=0

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Inshallah has been updated to BIS 1.62 and ALiVE 1.1.1 standards. Highlights include the ability for Transport choppers to slingload (the feature is sort of buggy but will improve as ALiVE updates), audio sounds for logistics requests, an earlier start time now the CUP Terrains looks good in the sunshine, and some sensible changes to all bases and outposts. Full changelog in the first post.

Note: Slingloading is a HIGHLY WIP feature. Consider this aspect of the update more as a framework for future ALiVE releases and not something you should use during a session that means a lot to you. Slingloading in its current state is more for people that want to mess around or for those curious. Most people should leave it alone until the ALiVE Devs clean it up in their next release.

This mission is designed for SP and COOP play. Although single-player play is encouraged, it should only be run in LAN or on a dedicated server. Features include:

So technically only in MP, without the ability to pause nor save/reload as in MP?

So technically only in MP, without the ability to pause nor save/reload as in MP?

Saving and loading should be done via a dedicated server with ALiVE War Room. I have some instructions on the first page in my Prophet mission thread and it's much much easier than you'd assume to get up and running. And my PM box is always open if you need any additional help (if I can do it, trust me, so can you. I'm a moron and use persistence just fine :) ).

The problem isn't that my ALiVE missions wouldn't work in SP (in fact, I have some that work perfectly well in SP), it's just that in missions that use the full suit of ALiVE features, such as this one, they would more than likely cause your system to crash when loaded because ALiVE stores a lot of data. The ALiVE War Room website was designed specifically for this purpose, as a place ALiVE users can store their mission data and continue them at will.

Saving and loading should be done via a dedicated server with ALiVE War Room. I have some instructions on the first page in my Prophet mission thread and it's much much easier than you'd assume to get up and running.

I am not afraid of trying to make something work, but I want to know what I am working towards. This "war room" sounds like a way to guarantee server persistence in case of a restart, not so much as a proper SP save/load feature.

Say I'm doing something and got shot. Will that "war room" allow me to reload to exactly the same state of the world I was in when I saved, just as if I had used BIS' stock save/load buttons, or will I respawn at some other location, having lost all the time I spend getting to the point where I got killed? The latter is good in a big JIP MP scenario but not at all in a SP mission afaic.

I am not afraid of trying to make something work, but I want to know what I am working towards. This "war room" sounds like a way to guarantee server persistence in case of a restart, not so much as a proper SP save/load feature.

Say I'm doing something and got shot. Will that "war room" allow me to reload to exactly the same state of the world I was in when I saved, just as if I had used BIS' stock save/load buttons, or will I respawn at some other location, having lost all the time I spend getting to the point where I got killed? The latter is good in a big JIP MP scenario but not at all in a SP mission afaic.

The mission is designed to follow standard MP multi-respawn rules. My long term goal is to actually switch over to revive once BIS gets that AI compatible, but until then my choices are either permanent death (not good for a mission designed to take days or weeks), respawn on your own dead body (not a bad idea but ultimately lets the player play too carelessly because dying wouldn't really matter), or respawn positions (which is what I went with. I have respawn points at bases and outposts the player can choose to respawn at).

Regarding saving and loading, you'll load at your exact save location (which I'll elaborate on a bit further down).

I made these scenarios specifically with the SP in mind. In fact, this is how I spend most of my time in Arma. For a long time, I noticed that most scenarios released for the mod didn't cater to the needs of a lone wolf, so I specifically set out to put out something that SP'ers or small groups could enjoy.

To help you decide whether this mission may or may not be for you, let me tell you a little about what a typical night of play might look like for me. That way you can decide for yourself if it sounds interesting enough to deal with a respawn system.

Once the mission starts, you spawn in alone. Directly in front of you is a Virtual Arsenal and AI recruitment spawner. After a couple minutes after spawning in, map Intel will usually appear, and I'll let this dictate what I'll do for the night, depending on how much time I have.

In this example, let's say my goal for the night is to destroy a Taliban IED installation which we just had revealed to us on the map (make sure to mark it because Intel fades away after 30 seconds or so).

I'll grab a group of AI, and make sure I have some explosives in my inventory so we can blow up the IED factory. I'll plan my path and decided whether I have time to patrol the towns on the way, or if not I'll just take a transport chopper and insert near the objective (which is even cooler with Duda's Advanced Rappelling!).

Now, due to the randomness of ALiVE, you can never be certain how much or any resistance will be there to greet you. I usually prepare for the worst, and infiltrate somewhere from a safe distance so I can use my binoculars to scope out what we're up against.

If the town is riddled with Taliban, I'll generally call in for some backup. If not, we'll stealthily make our way in alone. Then, being cautious about IED's and suicide bombers, we'll clear the town the best we can, blow up the IED factory, and once I feel pretty sure the Taliban rocket launcher guys are all dead, I'll call in some CAS to clean up the mess and then usually a friendly foot unit to garrison the village when we're done.

Once the objective is complete, I'll either move onto another one; or fly back to base and pat myself on the back for a mission well done and then save for the night.

Like I was saying about about persistence, when you save with ALiVE's War Room, when you load, you'll end up in the exact same place you saved at, with your gear and your vehicle(s). It's a very thorough and sufficient saving and loading system! Recruited AI do not persist though so I generally like to return to base (or a nearby outpost) so I'm ready to rock n' roll the next time the mission is continued.

Sorry if my example wasn't really a good one. That's just one of many I could have used. It's difficult to put the awesomeness of ALiVE is words if I'm being honest. :) There's just so much stuff you can do and so many tools at your disposal, how you play and what you do is really up for you to decide. You may prefer a slower approach and just walk around towns, making your presence known (which keeps civs happy) and talking to and searching civs for weapons. You may then have fun arresting them and forcing them to sit in the make shift prison forever so the Taliban can't recruit them and turn them dark side. Or you might want to constantly be in the action, joining friendly troops around the map and kicking ass. Or you may even find it fun to go spot enemy vehicles with the intent of laying down explosives and catching them by surprise, or even just going out alone and thinning the herd with a long distance rifle, etc etc.

ALiVE doesn't hold your hand. Your singular job is to keep the civilians safe and destroy the Taliban and their resources. How you accomplish that is up for you to decide. Whether or not this stuff sounds like fun for you should dictate whether or not using respawn and saving with War Room is worth the investment.

Hah Hero - your missions always sound as interesting as heck - I'll really work on getting that British stuff downloaded... I just watched Kilo Two Bravo last night - a nicely done - realistic war movie from the British perspective... In the beginning it was a little tough for me to follow the dialog - by the end I was ready for some Bangers and Mash... Thanks for sharing...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hah Hero - your missions always sound as interesting as heck - I'll really work on getting that British stuff downloaded... I just watched Kilo Two Bravo last night - a nicely done - realistic war movie from the British perspective... In the beginning it was a little tough for me to follow the dialog - by the end I was ready for some Bangers and Mash... Thanks for sharing...

Regards,

Scott

You should watch this series if you ever get a chance:

• Like 1

I'll take a gander - thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hero,

I am getting an error when I try to launch your mission - it's saying the "Burns Foxhound" no longer exists...

You link was dead in the IP - but I believe I found it on Armaholic with a link to a YouTube page - which in turn had a link to download it... It's version 2.1 and I installed it... Not sure why the mission won't launch...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Oh wow it is dead. Odd. That's not a 3rd party link. That's my Dropbox.

The mission uses a slightly older version of the Foxhound so you'll need my link (BTW Burnes gave me permission to post it, just incase anyone was curious).

I'll BRB in like 5 minutes. I have no clue why it's suddenly dead.

It's fixed. I have no clue why the link died so I created a new one. The link I just posted, the link in the first post, and the link in the first post of Prophet should all work now (they should all point to the same url). Thanks for the heads up and I'm sorry about that. :)

Hi Hero,

LOL - no worries - I think it's loading now...

I put your mission in both the "Missions"  and "MPMissions" directory inside my Arma3 Steam folder... It shows up in SP Scenarios - but I don't see it listed when I start a MP LAN game - I think you mentioned this LAN game was the way to play it even for SP... Do I need to do something else ? I'm kind of knew at using other peoples missions...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Hi Hero,

LOL - no worries - I think it's loading now...

I put your mission in both the "Missions" and "MPMissions" directory inside my Arma3 Steam folder... It shows up in SP Scenarios - but I don't see it listed when I start a MP LAN game - I think you mentioned this LAN game was the way to play it even for SP... Do I need to do something else ? I'm kind of knew at using other peoples missions...

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Yes, I recommend only LAN or a dedicated server be used. SP mode is not recommended other than just a way to make sure the mission runs and that everything is set up properly. If you play it for a bit in LAN and think you may enjoy it, the best way to play it is actually on a dedicated server because that way you can save and load your progress with ALiVE's War Room. We can go over that later after you try it for a bit and see if you think mission suits you.

To host your own LAN, make sure the mission is in the MPMissions folder in your arma root, open the game and click on the multiplayer section. Then open the server browser.

On the top right of the menu, click on host server. Confirm your own PC as the host.

In the mission select screen, you'll see a list of maps. Click Takistan.

Then on the right side, the mission should show up in orange. Click on Inshallah. Then confirm.

On the roles screen, sometimes they are blank. If that happens, on the left side of the screen, you should see a blue box that says BLUFOR. Click on it to make the roles appear. Then select your role (which should probably be the first slot) and start the mission.

Let me know if you have any issues getting the mission to start or even if you have any questions about it after you get things going.

Hi Hero,

Hmm - I did get it to launch in SP but within the first minute or so Arma crashes to desktop... My machine isn't state of the art but it still fairly capable - an old Sandy i2700k OC to 4.7 Ghz - 16GB of fast ram - and a top end GTX970... I haven't had this problem before... I use that Arma Synch program to launch all the mods - I'll post my config when I get a chance - maybe I missed a mod or something ???

I'll see if I can try it in MP to see if there is any difference...

You certainly seem to go above an beyond - your patience and enthusiasm is truly appreciated...

Regards,

Scott

I'm not familiar with that launcher at all. Unfortunately, I don't know how much help I can be unless you want to give the default A3 Launcher (the one built into Steam) a crack.

I'm going to at least assume since the mission loads that we're on the right track but that CTD isn't normal. Definitely not with this mission and mod set.

What kind of error do you get after the crash? Is it a memory crash or unable to Init DXGI?

Would it be a major inconvenience to just to try the vanilla launcher, just loading the mods in the first post and nothing else? Also, I can't recall offhand what files come with the compatibility patch for Massi's units (the one by Davidoss). If the link includes any files aside from @mas_compatibilities, don't use them. You only need that one file.

We'll figure it out. Let's try an eliminate as many factors as possible if you're willing. If the problem is with A3 Sync itself, I'm not sure how much help I can be.

Hi Hero,

Thanks !!!

I don't have time to mess with this now - but - sure - I can try the full vanilla launcher... I'll follow up after I do...

Here are my current launch parameters if anything stands out:

-enableHT
-nosplash
-nologs
-mod=@ALiVE;@NATO_Rus_Vehicle;
-mod=F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\!Workshop\@CBA_A3;
-mod=@CUP_Terrains_Complete-1.2.0;@CUP_Terrains_Core-1.1.0;@NATO_Rus_Weapons;@3cb_baf_equipment;@3cb_baf_units;@3cb_baf_vehicles;@3cb_baf_weapons;@mas_compatibilities;@Spyder Addons;@MiddleEastWarfare_mas;@burnes_foxhound;

Do I need jointed rails ??? I thought one of the mods had a prerequisite which I may have missed...

Regards,
Scott

No you don't need ASDG JR. That's included in CBA.

Looking at it, I think the problem *might* be due to you running CUP Terrains Complete (which includes Core and Maps) and CUP Terrains Core. Just eyeballing it, it would appear to me you're essentially running CUP Core twice. Though I'm not going to pretend I know the naming conventions with A3 sync. You either need Core and Maps, or just CUP Terrains Complete.

I also know nothing about Hypertheading. My startup parameters consist of -nologs -nocontroller -nopause. I use the default Windows memory allocator (tbb4malloc_bi), and use maxVRAM= 3071 and maxMEM= 2047. And almost all of these things can be set in the launcher itself which is nice. We both have the same amount of RAM so perhaps this could help.

We have the same graphics card too I see. I use Nvidia 362.00 but I doubt it's a driver issue.

I definitely recommend giving the default launcher a go. It's easy to set up and it saves profiles nicely.

Your mod line is also not very good. I doubt it will help but the order I list them in in the first post is much more sensible so maybe try that too. As a general rule, you want to go with CBA, game changing mods (like ALiVE), mods that rely on game changing mods (Spyder Addons), client side mods (like Shacktack UI if you use it), units mods with items the units need loaded first (so weapons before units), then map packs then maps last.

Hey guys, just a quick update. Full details are in the changelog if anyone's curious. Essentially, a lot of things have been edited to place more of an emphasis on immersion and exploring. For example, the Taliban will place more installations at the start, but the player will get slightly less map Intel given to them automatically. This will encourage more patrolling and civ interrogating, and make finding Intel on bodies more exciting.

I also added some High Command vehicles for players to call if they get in a pinch (example: you can call a medical truck if you get stuck and really need to heal). The mission has been rebalanced as well (similar amounts of units in both sides will spawn, but their emphasis has changed slightly).

ASR AI is now recommended (but not required). I've been messing with it the last couple of days and it's glorious.

I just added a pretty sweet new base on the southern military airfield. Camp Elizabth has plenty of neat stuff and also Virtual Arsenals and recruit spawners and the like. Anyway, one thing I'm learning the more I play ALiVE insurgencies is that you can never have too many safe places or respawn points when things start to go sideways. :)

Changelog and download link updated.

Another quick update. I finished off my bases, set the mission to automatically pause when people are not on the server, and reworked the modules a bit due to some pop up errors - which may still be present but are harmless and will be fixed by 3CB soon.

I also optimized the civilian spawns for performance purposes. Full changelog in the first post.

Hi

Would it be possible to create a version with only core mods (alive etc.) and leave other stuff as optional?

Hi Lerbert. If you don't mind me asking, for what purpose? Perhaps you don't have a good internet connection and can't download the requirements? It would definitely be "possible" to do this by opening the mission up in the editor but would certainly take a decent amount of time. I guess I'm not clear on why you'd want to use vanilla assets (NATO vs CSAT?) on Takistan. Or did you have other modded factions you'd prefer to use instead?

So yes, although it's technically do-able, it would be no easy feat in my estimation. I've spent unholy amount of nights over several months building these up, using mod dependent objects and vehicles and module overrides and what-have-you and reversing all of that would not be an enormous time sink. And currently, my free time is being spent on working on another campaign with the US Army from RHS doing a joint op with the Kurdish Peshmerga forces (from Project OPFOR) on Diyala, Iraq in an anti-ISIS campaign (so perhaps you'd prefer that mod-set when it's done?).

My goal here was to create a series of anti-terror campaigns, inspired by:

And the current mod-set accomplishes that with the highest quality and most realistic assets available IMO.

That said, if editing this mission yourself is something you'd be willing to do, have at it! :) I can even help you by telling you what you'd need to change if you wanted to take on the project (though if you release it, please leave me as the author or co-author in the credits). But honestly, at that rate - and trust me on this - it might just be easier to look at my mission in the editor and use that as inspiration for your own if that's what you ultimately looking to do.

If it's any consolation, this mod-set will get you entry to at least one, if not two more missions on different maps here soon! :) And also a front row seat to my Prophet mission! But yeah man, all in all, I get it. I understand the hesitation to downloads tons of mods and also realize my missions would be immensely more popular if I used less. But I had a very specific purpose and "feel" in mind and I'd like to think I've accomplished that.

Also, if building a mission ends up being the reason you asked for a vanilla version of the mission, I can always help you with that if you have any questions.