tpw

Config Errors Displaying

Can anyone (dev?) enlighten me as to why the following popup has started appearing over the last few weeks:

popup2.jpg

I've tracked it down to a few older mods such as ADF Uncut which define their own weapons. The mods work just fine once the error is clicked through.

Can anyone (dev?) enlighten me as to why the following popup has started appearing over the last few weeks:

I've tracked it down to a few older mods such as ADF Uncut which define their own weapons. The mods work just fine once the error is clicked through.

I get it too-I think from using Massi's weapons. Like you said it causes no issues at all, but it has been popping up for quite a while now.

It is the issue most of the weapons packs but i have no idea why BIS removed that class or whatever they did with it , they made it annoying :/

• Like 1

faulty inheritance definition no longer tolerated by the engine

• Confused 1

faulty inheritance definition no longer tolerated by the engine

By "faulty" do you actually mean "rules changed by devs", similar to the recent change to the author string?

Looking at a few configs of the various erroring mods that have CfgWeapons entries (ie basically all of them), I'm struggling see how they deviate from the official guidelines: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Characters_And_Gear_Encoding_Guide

Again, if a dev could chime in and clarify it would be appreciated.

in the past the engine did not check for these type of error. as they need it more strict for Eden, etc, they are enforcing the correct policy

inheritance definitions need to be defined in the scope the class has originally been defined.

class ItemInfo; // wrong

class cfgWeapons
{
	class ItemInfo; // wrong

class Default
	{
		class ItemInfo; // wrong
	};

class ItemCore;
	class ItemWatch: ItemCore
	{
		class ItemInfo; // correct
	};
};
  • Like 6

in the past the engine did not check for these type of error. as they need it more strict for Eden, etc, they are enforcing the correct policy

inheritance definitions need to be defined in the scope the class has originally been defined.

class ItemInfo; // wrong

class cfgWeapons
{
	class ItemInfo; // wrong

class Default
	{
		class ItemInfo; // wrong
	};

class ItemCore;
	class ItemWatch: ItemCore
	{
		class ItemInfo; // correct
	};
};

Cheers for that!

Looks like a bit of work ahead for a few modders...

Hmm interesting , from my experience i just deleted my class ItemInfo; and it works without a error

while it is good to see this change but the bad thing is that it came too late and now most of mods has to sort it out , so they could rather kept it like it was imho

About the never ending errors. Can we really get this implemented?

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T118260

Would be really great to see the option to disable all error notifications.

I don't like this idea. I've actually never seen a popup error on stable branch, so it's either been on dev (where errors are expected) or when playing with mods (which means the mod wasn't done properly/is bugged).

In either way, debugging mods and finding their errors would be even more of a struggle when people (=potential testers) would just turn off notifications.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Yeah, force people to fix their shait. That's the only way to go here, because error messages are there for a reason.

I don't like this idea. I've actually never seen a popup error on stable branch, so it's either been on dev (where errors are expected) or when playing with mods (which means the mod wasn't done properly/is bugged).

In either way, debugging mods and finding their errors would be even more of a struggle when people (=potential testers) would just turn off notifications.

I think people should decide if they want to see errors or not. Believe me, vanilla has misconfigured things even now.

Second is that if you have noLogs enabled it will show errors only once per mission. How is it even remotely helpful? 10 other errors can pop-up after the first one, they will never be shown. It's useless.

Why not print errors in chat? Or in the black box like script errors? Why does it has to be a UI blocking thing that requires you to close it manually.

It serves no purpose for 90% of the players, in most cases it's even impossible to tell what mod caused it, it just shows some generic base class that doesn't have something or etc.

• Like 3

I agree that error messages should be fixed instead of simply hidden, however I also agree with:

Why not print errors in chat? Or in the black box like script errors? Why does it has to be a UI blocking thing that requires you to close it manually.

I don't see a reason why, especially during gameplay, I need to confirm an error msg by clicking the ok button...

• Like 1

I think people should decide if they want to see errors or not.

I disagree. People should always see errors. If you give the option to disable them, then people will not fix them and just tell you to disable the error reporting.

That already caused major headache with missions, if you enabled showScriptErrors you would see how few mission makers actually bothered to check them. Error reporting is there for a very good reason, and it should not be possible to override that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think people should decide if they want to see errors or not. Believe me, vanilla has misconfigured things even now.

Second is that if you have noLogs enabled it will show errors only once per mission. How is it even remotely helpful? 10 other errors can pop-up after the first one, they will never be shown. It's useless.

It serves no purpose for 90% of the players, in most cases it's even impossible to tell what mod caused it, it just shows some generic base class that doesn't have something or etc.

Exacly. In other situation - you are playing some mod (being just a tester), seeing that error, you reporting it to proper developer of mod, and waiting for a fix. Mod is updated once per 2 month and you need to see that error all over through 2 months. This is why disabling it would be nice feature i think. And about those animations and anti-stiff people in vehicles - Developers, is there any chance to see that implemented?

I disagree. People should always see errors. If you give the option to disable them, then people will not fix them and just tell you to disable the error reporting.

That already caused major headache with missions, if you enabled showScriptErrors you would see how few mission makers actually bothered to check them. Error reporting is there for a very good reason, and it should not be possible to override that.

The point here is - if you enable. So it's disabled by default, right? Right. Guess have many players even know you can enable that? 20% at most. Guess how many actually have that enabled? Estimate would be 10% tops.

But at least script errors don't require you to close them everytime.

Config errors block UI interface and don't stop the game for everyone in the multiplayer, for obvious reasons. So while you're try to close the error mid-game someone may actually shoot you down or you can crash a helicopter cause while landing you got this error and lost control of the helicopter. I don't think it's fair.

• Like 1

I don't think it's fair.

Bugs aren't fair. :D

The point here is - if you enable. So it's disabled by default, right?

You say that as if it's a good thing.

The fact that it is disabled by default caused a lot of people to ignore script errors, or be oblivious to them. I argue that the same will happen with config errors if you allow the user to ignore them, and it will weak havoc with interoperability of addons.

Nothing you can tell me will convince me that is a good price to pay for saving you one mouse click on "close all'.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

• Like 2

And then you get people complaining about performance again, while they keep running badly optimized missions and mods that spawn countless of error messages.

You say that as if it's a good thing.

The fact that it is disabled by default caused a lot of people to ignore script errors, or be oblivious to them. I argue that the same will happen with config errors if you allow the user to ignore them, and it will weak havoc with interoperability of addons.

Nothing you can tell me will convince me that is a good price to pay for saving you one mouse click on "close all'.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

You underestimate the power of the default option. If errors will be shown by default only 20% of the players will know that you can turn them off, other just will not bother.

I'm not arguing for hiding all errors forever for everyone, I'm arguing for more options for the people and for less annoying error outputting.

Or do you think if config errors are moved to the black-box area or systemChat area is a bad thing too?

I have no problems with script error box, in-fact I always play with it enabled. Cause I'm a mission maker myself and make missions for my community.

Why can't we have something like that for config errors? Why is it blocking the UI? Most of the config errors I encountered are not game-breaking at all. But most of them come at the most inconvenient time. Just some value is missing, is it even relevant to be shown at all?

It will not help if your download is broken, only RPT can help in that case to detect that.

And now we have even more error pop-ups cause "faulty inheritance definition no longer tolerated by the engine". It was fine before and now it's producing more errors. Isn't RPT enough for this kind of thing?

People that report stuff (each mod has it's own issue tracker and will NOT accept reports from the forum) are merely 5% of the player base (probably even less). I don't think it's reasonable to force the option on everyone.

Seeing so many people saying pop-ups are okay makes me think that maybe all those web pop-up blockers in the 2000s were wrong.

You underestimate the power of the default option. If errors will be shown by default only 20% of the players will know that you can turn them off, other just will not bother.

I'm not arguing for hiding all errors forever for everyone, I'm arguing for more options for the people and for less annoying error outputting.

Or do you think if config errors are moved to the black-box area or systemChat area is a bad thing too?

I have no problems with script error box, in-fact I always play with it enabled. Cause I'm a mission maker myself and make missions for my community.

Why can't we have something like that for config errors? Why is it blocking the UI? Most of the config errors I encountered are not game-breaking at all. But most of them come at the most inconvenient time. Just some value is missing, is it even relevant to be shown at all?

It will not help if your download is broken, only RPT can help in that case to detect that.

And now we have even more error pop-ups cause "faulty inheritance definition no longer tolerated by the engine". It was fine before and now it's producing more errors. Isn't RPT enough for this kind of thing?

People that report stuff (each mod has it's own issue tracker and will NOT accept reports from the forum) are merely 5% of the player base (probably even less). I don't think it's reasonable to force the option on everyone.

The only thing I could agree on is displaying config errors in a non-obtrusive way but hiding them completely is silly, even if they can be switched on or off. If you don't want errors to show up, play vanilla Arma 3 on the stable branch and well coded misions

Seeing so many people saying pop-ups are okay makes me think that maybe all those web pop-up blockers in the 2000s were wrong.

It's not exactly the same thing...

It's not exactly the same thing...

And I understand that, all I'm saying that all those pop-up blockers were there to streamline the web experience. Why don't you want the same for the immersive videogame experience?

If you look to the bottom of that problem, it's the same problem here.

Do you care what that pop-up on the web-site might say? No. You're here for the article.

Do you care what that error pop-up might say during the multiplayer pvp firefight? No. You're here for the videogame.

Well if yes, you always should have an option to enable pop-ups (as like right now every decent web browser has that option).

The only thing I could agree on is displaying config errors in a non-obtrusive way but hiding them completely is silly, even if they can be switched on or off. If you don't want errors to show up, play vanilla Arma 3 on the stable branch and well coded misions

Vanilla arma has config misconfigurations too, of course it's less but it's there anyway in some cases.

What I wanted to add is that it's a good thing that developers are now aware of the problem as they moved this thread and can decide what to do (if anything).