soulassassin

Night missions are way too dark and light reflections are not what they used to be.

Hi guys, first of all I know this has probably been reported before, but I am having major issues as the topic title suggests. I have been playing arma for about 2 years and after taking a 3month break I came back (didn't take note of any updates as good guy Steam autoInstalls them all) and I noticed that the nights are very very dark and my chemlights almost have no effect anymore.

Can you please point me to a thread where this discussion is ongoing so that I can see if there are any solutions to my problems?

Kind regards,

Soul

Independent for life

As a bit of a point worth making, and especially with little ambient light, i think nights are getting closer to reality. Even with current gen nvg it can be difficult to identify anything at night if there's not much moonlight or starlight.

• Like 1

Can you please point me to a thread where this discussion is ongoing so that I can see if there are any solutions to my problems?

I would follow the Dev branch discussion thread    https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/143930-general-discussion-dev-branch/page-1022        asthis is where most of the discussion about the new lighting is taking place. The too dark nights was reported as soon as the new lighting was released and Dwarden said the Dev team are very aware of it and are working on a fix, but also that there is no definite ETA on when that fix might be ready.It apparently is a very complex problem to sort out-but it is being worked on.

And yes-it does cause problems.Trying to play the "Night" showcase mission now is next to impossible.I use arsenal mods or MCC to spawn NVG's into missions where you don't have any :)

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply. I am all for realism. But even when the moon is not out, I can atleast see around a lamp pole at night. But, I don't want to start a fight. They are aware of the issue and hopefully they fix it quickly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I am all for realism. But even when the moon is not out, I can atleast see around a lamp pole at night. But, I don't want to start a fight. They are aware of the issue and hopefully they fix it quickly.

No no-you are not alone here.Realism is great-but the fact is the game is too dark now.It is being worked on :)

As a bit of a point worth making, and especially with little ambient light, i think nights are getting closer to reality.

I understand this argument some people make that nights look more realistic, I get it. But the problem that I have with it is the original visual look of the game gave you options if you wanted a pitch black realistic night or an incredible moonlight full of atmosphere with creative possibilities.

With the new visual upgrade you only have one option and not a very pleasant one for that matter. On a more positive note, I think this is a great opportunity for BIS to do something even more creative than before to make the night more stunning. Maybe a more realistic looking moon and moonlight that highlights fog more, maybe add in ambient fire flies that come out at night? An option to enable or disable it, anything is possible.

some of the darkness is because how mission is set up with fog,time,clouds .. and so much more...

in the tdm missions I'm working on I have it set at like 5pm with time sped up, but if its a real shitty day 5 pm is already dark, and yep.. it gets nasty with 3 teams of ai going to the same location you are headed.. any how and never the less , if you have ever been in the dark and it is cloudy out (out in the woods) you really cant see shit ... and lights are a bitch if they reflect off of something.. so I believe bis is doing a good job , just edit your settings or mission settings you'll see a difference..  

• Like 1

There's no illumination from the moon and most objects now and that's a problem; plain and simple.

No time of day or fog setting will fix that.

• Like 2

I understand it must be difficult, but Isla Duala has a decent solution already, so I expect the night to be playable again in 1.62. It'd be very disappointing otherwise. And Icebreaker had to "fix" it without any official documentation, or help.

some of the darkness is because how mission is set up with fog,time,clouds .. and so much more...

in the tdm missions I'm working on I have it set at like 5pm with time sped up, but if its a real shitty day 5 pm is already dark, and yep.. it gets nasty with 3 teams of ai going to the same location you are headed.. any how and never the less , if you have ever been in the dark and it is cloudy out (out in the woods) you really cant see shit ... and lights are a bitch if they reflect off of something.. so I believe bis is doing a good job , just edit your settings or mission settings you'll see a difference..  

I know that when you are in rural areas etc it can literally just be black-you cant even see your hand in front of your face. But the fact remains-the moon and other luminous objects do not give off any light in Arma now. A good test-place a lit campfire down on a dark night.It will give off no ambient light.Even through NVGs it has basically no light thrown off the campfire.Compare that to how it used to be-or how a fire acts in real life on a dark night.It will light up the area for at least a few metres.

• Like 1

I know that when you are in rural areas etc it can literally just be black-you cant even see your hand in front of your face. But the fact remains-the moon and other luminous objects do not give off any light in Arma now. A good test-place a lit campfire down on a dark night.It will give off no ambient light.Even through NVGs it has basically no light thrown off the campfire.Compare that to how it used to be-or how a fire acts in real life on a dark night.It will light up the area for at least a few metres.

I think the issues have been at least partly addressed with Tanoa, which has greatly improved night conditions with moon and other lightsource illumination. I truly hope they backport the lighting config to Altis/Stratis, which are basically as dark as a badger's arsehole at night. 

• Like 1

Altis life maybe?

There was a Soul Assasin who created some tools for Arma 2 a few years back, are you that same person?

There was a Soul Assasin who created some tools for Arma 2 a few years back, are you that same person?

Sup man. No that wasn't me :)