You still can use Apex houses to recreate Japanese style, like on these pics 

A little bit of creativity and patience is a key of successing :)

Spoiler

HOqhMrpINPc.jpg3wWytPZ7mT8.jpgwPhQ2S2eB6g.jpg

• Like 3

I've released iwagi on Steam workshop.  I removed MattAust Arma 3 Custom Buildings and PLP's mods and only requires Em Buildings now(and Apex of course).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=859358014&searchtext=iwagi

I did some retexturing of the ol' Arma 2 apartment buildings.  They're kinda buggy right now, I'm going to see if I can use CUP's models(I think they're still working on them actually).  But the PBO is included with Iwagi.

Edited by cring0
Apartment buildings
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2017 at 1:51 AM, Auss said:

Couple of things, I like the layout of the cities and buildings, are you planning on updating the sat? as it looks like the objects have kinda been plonked down. When I lay buildings or if I'm making a construction area I try to make sure the sat and mask reflect whats sitting on it, eg quarry. Also the Mattaust buildings are very poorly optimized so be very careful about using them unless you plan on getting the unbinarized models and fixing them up. I've spent the last few weeks optimizing them and re-creating res-lods.

Yeah I got rid of those models, there were too many issues with them and they clashed.  I'm using Em buildings now which are a bit better for combat imo.  As for sat and mask, I'm constantly reworking it.  I got a lot of the hilltop finished up, but working around everything in the city is quite the chore, it'll take a bit of work.

On 2/12/2017 at 2:40 AM, Mordacai said:

Hi, I'm American and lived in Japan for 17 years.

I think keeping it as IWAGI is the best choice.

Japan being primarily a Shinto and Buddhist country, Perhaps no more than 2 or 3 churches should be enough.

Not that there aren't any churches in Japan, because there are, but for such a small island, I think a traveler would be lucky to come across one.

Just my two cents

I would have *loved* to have kept it more Japanese but it just wasn't really possible with what I had to work with.  One of my goals was to keep the filesize small.  I don't have next to no experience with doing models and didn't want to spend another 2 years on this small terrain anyways.  That's why I was contemplating changing the name of it, but alas, it's pretty set in stone at this point.  And yeah I don't think I saw any Christian churches on any of those islands IRL =P  

On 2/12/2017 at 6:39 PM, Igor Nikolaev said:

You still can use Apex houses to recreate Japanese style, like on these pics 

A little bit of creativity and patience is a key of successing :)

Reveal hidden contents

HOqhMrpINPc.jpg3wWytPZ7mT8.jpgwPhQ2S2eB6g.jpg

That's how I started it, but it just wasn't working.  I wanted to get more creative and instead it was just turning into something that didn't make any sense, and too much repetition.  I really needed some small houses, but of course that doesn't really work well in Arma due to player model clipping etc.  Nice screenshots btw!

PS: I'm going to be removing a lot of trees, they look nice but not very good for gameplay and RIP fps.  Frames *are* a little rough in the maintown, there's a lot of objects.  Let me know how it runs for you.

Edited by cring0
ps
  • Like 1

yep and I'm really liking the layout of the docks and cities too

• Like 1

On 03/10/2016 at 4:33 PM, opteryx said:

Wait, what? How are you using Apex assets??

Cos he must be ZEUS  ;)

I should probably mention that I havent been getting as much done lately due to an issue with my right hand. Getting old sucks yo. I got a lot of work done to the little crag rock island thingy to the south west. I'll probably work on the south eastern island next. I'm thinking of replacing the large airfield with some houses and crops since it doesnt really make any practical sense as is.

Over 1000 subscribers though. Cheers!

• Like 3

Updated the southern islands a bit.  However, my sat is a little screwy elsewhere because I moved a layer in Gimp, so there's concrete in a lot of places where there should be grass. XD  No worries, I'll just have it fixed on next update.

• Like 3

I kind of agree - lots of stuck together smaller houses, and lots of different fencing.

Also, I REALLY LIKE the greener main sat. Not as sandy as Altis yet not a tight jungle as Tanoa.

• Like 1

Yeah I was leaving space for other objects but I'll take that into consideration.  Another thing is that I'm usually trying to avoid blocking windows on the sides of buildings.  The A3/Altis/Stratis houses you can kinda slap together fairly easy, but a lot of the Apex buildings have things on the sides that make it difficult to push them together too closely.

Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback, means a lot!

On 4/21/2017 at 4:53 PM, bars91 said:

Also, I REALLY LIKE the greener main sat. Not as sandy as Altis yet not a tight jungle as Tanoa.

Yeah, I took my grass/green ground texture, tiled it a bit, scaled it down, tinkered with the color and darkness to get it as close as I could to blend near/far.  For concrete and dirt I think I just tinkered with colors and added some static.

• Like 1

I really like that the sat textures, ground textures, and grass objects match. This is something a surprising amount of map makers get wrong, and for me at least, its really disjointing and can completely un-immerse me. 

• Like 1

So I have most of the southern island of Kosagi finished up I think.  I'd updated it a few days ago.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/hqQSr?

And I decided to start making a marina.  I'll have more screenshots soon.

• Like 4

Hey buddy - The island's looking awesome, gonna try it out at the weekend!

I'm also waging a war at the moment with Terrain Builder and X-cam, and have a question you might be able to help with...I just can't seem to find any way of getting Tanoa vegetation into my X-cam library...?

I've got all the Tanoa structures and objects in there fine, but no vegetation except vanilla Arma 3 (loaded as XCam_A3_Trees), and CUP trees. Any ideas?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacknorrisuk said:

Hey buddy - The island's looking awesome, gonna try it out at the weekend!

I'm also waging a war at the moment with Terrain Builder and X-cam, and have a question you might be able to help with...I just can't seem to find any way of getting Tanoa vegetation into my X-cam library...?

I've got all the Tanoa structures and objects in there fine, but no vegetation except vanilla Arma 3 (loaded as XCam_A3_Trees), and CUP trees. Any ideas?

Oh hmm.. I think I had issues with this until I got the library entries that came with Mikero's subscriber tools.  If you don't have his paid tools, they also come with the placeholders you'd need in TB to be able to crunch it(since BI never changed such objects from EBO to PBO).

I think it was vegetation and rocks that I couldn't find before.. Next time I boot up xcam I'll take a look.

*edit*

Yeah for whatever reason I wasn't able to access vegetation and rocks before I got the library entries from Mikero's Tools.

• Like 1

Ahh, gotcha! didn't realise Mikero's dummy Tanoa objects pack also had that config for X-cam, thanks a lot :) 

On 6/2/2017 at 8:47 AM, jacknorrisuk said:

Ahh, gotcha! didn't realise Mikero's dummy Tanoa objects pack also had that config for X-cam, thanks a lot :) 

Yeah there's a PBO for objects and one for Xcam configs.

Soooo.. I made a bat file to mount P drive at windows startup.  I just put

subst p: "e:\arma3work"

in the bat and put it in my startup folder.  Windows sees it fine but TB does not.  Anyone have any ideas why that might be?  I've been using Arma3Tools to mount P drive all this time and I've been told that's a bad idea for some reason.

On 2017-6-10 at 11:38 AM, cring0 said:

Yeah there's a PBO for objects and one for Xcam configs.

Soooo.. I made a bat file to mount P drive at windows startup.  I just put

subst p: "e:\arma3work"

in the bat and put it in my startup folder.  Windows sees it fine but TB does not.  Anyone have any ideas why that might be?  I've been using Arma3Tools to mount P drive all this time and I've been told that's a bad idea for some reason.

Hmm, I haven't tried that - and yet, I don't think I've had any problems with manual mounting, same as you...

Yeah, I figured out what my problem was.. I had Terrain Builder set to run as admin.. and it's been like that for over a year..

The 'rules of engagement, the mantra that was laid down from the introduction of visitor 4 (t/b) is as follows:

1) never run as admin

2) always use a shortcut from your desktop to start t/b (never steam tools)

3) 'play' steam tools 'once' to set the registry entries correctly.

On 2017-6-13 at 6:46 AM, cring0 said:

Yeah, I figured out what my problem was.. I had Terrain Builder set to run as admin.. and it's been like that for over a year..

Yikes - yes, I also had many problems caused by Run as Admin...but for that, I'm going to blame Microsoft!

I have one more question for you regarding your terrain build...did you make your own ground textures, or somehow use the Tanoa textures? I've managed to make the objects work with Mikero's dummies, but I'd like to get my hands on those ground textures too...

The grass texture is my own, the others are from Apex.

• Like 2

Finished linking the tracks around the island and tried out that train mod.

• Like 4