While I've kept the IRL island name, this terrain has been largely altered from the real island for various reasons.  Besides the buildings and vegetation, I've chopped the top of the mountain off, altered a lot of roads, etc.  However, it does still resemble the real place in some ways.

MchSWIQ.png

Iwagi is a small island located in the Ehime prefecture, kinda in between Okoyama and Hiroshima. I'm planning on using assets from the Apex expansion, and so it will require having the expansion to play. Right now, it's a total of 6x6km(I guess that could possibly change if it's too small). The island itself is roughly 4x5km. I'm using a cell space(hoizontal scale) of 3m, which is slightly less than what is suggested by all the Arma terrain gurus, but I'm hoping with it being a pretty small terrain it will work out alright. While I tried to keep a lot of places true to it's IRL form, I'm mostly limited to Google streets and as such I'm completely winging most of the island. Besides that, it needs to be military friendly.. so I completely chopped the top of the mountain and I'm going to put a military base there. =]

I think I started working on Iwagi in February of this year. Originally, I had started with a completely custom terrain taking bits and pieces from all over the world in Google Earth Pro and piecing them together like a Frenkenstein. After a year of killing myself I decided to jump into a smaller terrain and use a real world place. This will be my first terrain for anything. Being as small as it is, I'm not sure it will be suitable for anything milsim related(hopefully I'm wrong), I'm hoping to be able to use it for Battle Royale and/or maybe some survival mods.

GOALS:
- I want to keep the mod filesize as small as possible.  Thus, a smaller terrain with very limited user made content/models.
- I don't want to require the user to have any other community made mods loaded to play on the terrain.

TO DO LIST (as of 14 Sep 2016)

• Finish surface mask.
  • Finish sat map.
  • Finish watershed erosion and reservoir objects.
  • Place random rocks.
  • Finish rock outcrops.
  • Fix mixture of vegetation in forests, add rocks and fallen trees.
  • Finish military housing area.
  • Finish military base layout and objects.
  • Finish airport runway, objects, and buildings.
  • Remove all vegetation from roadways and under buildings and other objects where it's noticeable.
  • Set water level.
  • Check AI movements along roadways and bridges.
  • Have all bridges placed and remove road textures from underneath.
  • Place road intersections and transitions.
  • Finalize clutter mixture for all surfaces, no texture issues, set color and wind variation.
  • Fix all road gradients, remove protrusions, smooth.
  • Place polygons for vegetation.
  • Place back roads and trails polylines.
  • Place secondary roads polylines.
  • Place main highway polylines.
  • Put together a rough sat mask for ground textures.
  • Make a place for a large military base and housing.
  • Sculpt a rough height map with L3DT.
  • Put together a rough sat map to use as a guide.

MEDIA

IRL Location: https://goo.gl/maps/YMEwqNyjmD32
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwagi,_Ehime

Photo album: http://imgur.com/a/hqQSr

I don't really have many pictures or videos yet, but I'm usually streaming on Twitch when I'm working on it. Once I can get it working in Arma I'll take some snapshots and make a video.
https://www.twitch.tv/cring0
https://www.youtube.com/user/cringocringo

I'll be back once I have more.  If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know.

• Like 13

Interesting location.Looks good.I suppose you will be using the new Tanoa assets? 

On 7/3/2016 at 7:11 PM, cring0 said:

I'm planning on using assets from the Apex expansion, and so it will require having the expansion to play.

Yep.  There's a ton of things in that expansion that would be useful for this terrain + it won't require extra mods + I won't have to increase the filesize of my terrain by throwing in a ton of models/objects.

However, IRL Iwagi has all these retaining walls everywhere and I've been blessed with people offering to model these for me(since I haven't dabbled into all that yet).  Uro made these up yesterday for a water channel that runs through the northern side of the island. (He just slapped it into Stratis to show it in game)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img921/274/yeycWd.jpg

Pretty nice. =]

• Like 3

Got the mountain top shaped up, added a 3rd road leading to the top from the east coast, added some trails.  Gonna set up my P drive and try to get it working in Arma later today hopefully.

FKvlrnW.png

Got the mountain top shaped up, added a 3rd road leading to the top from the east coast, added some trails.  Gonna set up my P drive and try to get it working in Arma later today hopefully.

FKvlrnW.png

Nice, looks amazing.

Cool to see the development of this, keep working hard chief, should be a fantastic pacific terrain!

• Like 1

Ok guys, I've finally pulled the finger out and learned how to use TB.  Now I can begin lol.

Thanks Jakerod and co. for the Atlas Guide!

• Like 2

http://imgur.com/wpPusEV

Have to figure out some ground textures issues.  Otherwise, well... it's a little smaller than I was hoping it would be.  It's doable though, just gotta tinker with some places that are obstructing the roadway, start laying down objects.

• Like 2

Got the majority of roads down, just need to adjust them in a few places, adjust the heightmap here and there, do some of the smaller roads and paths.  I'll probably place some objects while I'm at it.  However, again, I'm limited until BI unlocks Apex EBOs.

Also my godamn clutter won't show up for some reason. >_>

Layers: http://pastebin.com/hceTDbry

Clutter: http://pastebin.com/9kGxs3Fr

Surfaces: http://pastebin.com/WP9XqR2C

Not sure why it will stop you. The unsung team are using the assets from Tanoa. Just call the class name

You'd have to put a dummy model down and change the model classname afterwards, then you'd have to crunch it, see what it looks like in game, find that its probably off or oriented incorrectly, go back and change it, recrunch.. no thanks, I'll wait.

Found my clutter issue though.  Straightening up some roads then I'll check to see that they are in fact working.

Hmm it might be worth asking the unsung team how they did it... It looks great and I think all they must have done were substitutions ? I think you might be waiting a long time otherwise

Got some more roads finished, changed a couple of the road types, put a bunch of bridges in.  Gonna try to put some buildings down tonight.

Hmm it might be worth asking the unsung team how they did it... It looks great and I think all they must have done were substitutions ? I think you might be waiting a long time otherwise

Eh, I dont' think it would be worth the trouble.  It's ridiculous, the content is released.  I don't see the point of keeping it locked.  A big reason I was anticipating Apex was for MORE CONTENT to use for terrain building, not just to play on Tanoa.  Iwagi won't be finished until they unlock it, simply put.  If they don't unlock it soon.. I've been playing Arma for a while and I love it, but things like this keep pushing me away.  It's always 2 steps forward and 1 or 10 steps back.  But we'll see I guess.  I can get some things down now from core a3, but I could really, really use some of the new bridges, clutter, textures, trees, objects, buildings, etc etc.

Very cool that your map have any estimate of when it will be released?

Just a heads up that asking for a release date is considered spam by forum rules.

Also keep in mind he is waiting for the release of the Tanoa assets to finish this.

Yeah, I have no idea how soon I'll have it done because

a) I have never finished a terrain before so I'm learning as I go, which means lots of goofs and learning the hard way,

2) I was planning on using Apex objects and who knows when or if they'll unlock them,

z) I'm currently working a crappy retail job and the holidays are here.  Merry fml!

So I kinda changed up the military a bit, ran a road all the way around the area and looped it around the one side of the airfield.  I have a lot of buildings down in Xcam, but haven't imported them yet since I'm changing things up.  I'll do screenshots and a vid once I have something imported.

• Like 1

Decided to run only trees through my polygon shapes, then use same shapes to run bushes.  Came out rather nicely.  Not Tanoa thick thank god, but fairly thick.

Changed my vertical range in L3DT so that the tide doesn't come up quite as high.  Though, it may be a little too low, so maybe I'll adjust that via config.cpp if that will work.

I *should* have all my bridges placed for roadways.  Most of my roads are smoothed out nicely.

Finished a few more pathways and used some good ol' wooden piers for bridges in places.

Flattened the runway, no more attempts at running a road underneath.

I'll try to have snapshots tomorrow.  You can catch a bit at the end of my stream, link in my signature.

• Like 1

Placing objects in the main town on south side.

YBfy4Uw.jpg

zCPgpgN.jpg

• Like 3

Wait, what? How are you using Apex assets??